Author Topic: Press Releases  (Read 9240 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Press Releases
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »
I find Soleilmoon descriptives most puzzling and impenetrable...unless you know the artist's music, no way to know what to expect

Knowing Charles that's probably by design. After all they put out a compilation CD of their artists with the title Irritating Music For Discerning Snobs Desperate To Impress Their Jaded Friends;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
I find Soleilmoon descriptives most puzzling and impenetrable...unless you know the artist's music, no way to know what to expect

Knowing Charles that's probably by design. After all they put out a compilation CD of their artists with the title Irritating Music For Discerning Snobs Desperate To Impress Their Jaded Friends;D

That's right up there with one of my favorite song titles, Lopside's "Titling Instrumental Tracks Seems Pointless."
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
Lots of replies !

Personally, I'd prefer to read a press release that refers to an artist's use of instrumentation/source sounds or their approach to making the work,
rather than some more 'creative' text, but I can see that an artist may want to express their thoughts concerning the work in this way too. In a
sense, the press release can give an artist the opportunity to do their own 'mini-review' of their own work.

Also, as John said, factual info is pretty useful as well !

I have no idea why someone would say 'sounds like X' or 'if you're a fan of Y', you'll love this release' but each to their own.
Lastly, I don't why some artists write things like 'expertly crafted' or whatever - surely that's what samples are there for ?
A continual reference to words such as 'classic' and 'Amazing', can diminish the value of those words in the context of the press release. 

cheers
Pete