Author Topic: May 2010 issue of Electroambient Space  (Read 1063 times)

electroambientspace

• View Profile
    • Electroambient Space
May 2010 issue of Electroambient Space
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:39:23 PM »
Hi everyone.  The May issue of EAS is now uploaded.  This month's interview is with Computerchemist.  12 new reviews, including the latest Steve Roach collaboration with Byron Metcalf, the new Robert Rich, Radio Massacre International, and more.  I hope you enjoy it.
Phil Derby
Editor and Publisher
www.electroambientspace.com

drone on

• View Profile
Re: May 2010 issue of Electroambient Space
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »
Just once I wanna see a review here that just totally shocks me.  With everything being "pleasant," "solid," or "beautiful," it's starting to sound like an edition of the old Backroads "Hearbeats" catalog where not an ill word is ever uttered.  C'mon, there must be something you don't like.  Like the interviews, but the reviews are too generic. Just sayin'.

electroambientspace

• View Profile
    • Electroambient Space
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
The backlog of albums to review is seemingly neverending, and I tend to review the ones I like better first.  The ones I dislike often simply don't make the cut.  But even if I don't like an album, I figure the artist put their heart and soul into it, so you will rarely if ever find me totally discounting an album or saying it sucks or something like that.  I try to find something about it to appreciate, and do usually say if it is something that isn't my cup of tea.  But hey, the reason I review this stuff is I like most of it. 
Phil Derby
Editor and Publisher
www.electroambientspace.com

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:13 AM »
I agree with Phil here. Altho we differ in that I review more randomly, not going with the stuff I like first but rather as it comes in, I'm also not inclined to flatly pan a release. There's certainly stuff that I don't like, but I'm not going to presume to be the great arbiter of what's good and what's not. Rather, my approach is that while I may not like or "get" something, someone else may hear the good in it. My comment in that case is that people should go have a listen and decide for themselves. I'm not a big fan of dark ambient, for example. But some folks dig it. So maybe I don't get what an artist like Wolfskin or Hyios are doing--to someone else it's gorgeous.

I don't avoid saying that something's not good. I just say it's not good to me. I have no intention of becoming the Pitchfork of the ambient world.

Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

Premonition Factory

• View Profile
    • Premonition Factory
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for reviewing my Premonition Factory album, it's always good to get some feedback from the scene itself. I'm glad you like it, thank you :)
premonitionfactory.com -  Ambient drone music