Author Topic: Spoof audiophile reviews  (Read 6796 times)

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
Re: Spoof audiophile reviews
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
I agree Mike, but I'm talking about McIntosh and Audio Research stuff; it's easy to put a tube on top of a metal sheet and claim that the valve sound is superior to the solid state. After 35 years of (good) solid state amps the passage to the tubes has revealed a totally new world, and I'm currently re-discovering many hidden and never-before heard sounds/textures in my collection. The cd player too is a tube model and it's been a revelation: warm, round and very close to the wonders of the vinyl. The listening pleasure is breathtaking, and the cables are a crucial part of all this: it'd be a nonsense to use cheap cables with these equipment.
Terraform, the DT880 is a beautiful sounding headphones, a tube amp can only improve its performance.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »
Which tube-based CD player are you talking about?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Blackinfinity

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
I agree Mike, but I'm talking about McIntosh and Audio Research stuff; it's easy to put a tube on top of a metal sheet and claim that the valve sound is superior to the solid state. After 35 years of (good) solid state amps the passage to the tubes has revealed a totally new world, and I'm currently re-discovering many hidden and never-before heard sounds/textures in my collection. The cd player too is a tube model and it's been a revelation: warm, round and very close to the wonders of the vinyl. The listening pleasure is breathtaking, and the cables are a crucial part of all this: it'd be a nonsense to use cheap cables with these equipment.
Terraform, the DT880 is a beautiful sounding headphones, a tube amp can only improve its performance.

I am glad you find new discoveries when listening to your music through your tube amp/equipment.  But there is also an danger with using tubes, it can easily fool the ear...
While additional warmth and tube harmonics can be very nice to the ear, it is also a danger that it does not reproduce the audio in an natural/colorless fashion.
While this colouration can be desireable at sometimes I think the ultimate goal is to have as natural reproduction of the sound as possible. Do we want artificial harmonic elements in the music ?
it mostly depends on what music...but for ambient I think I want as natural and flat sound reproduction as possible..everything for rock and metal...it is not as important and tube harmonics could be very desirable.

The problem with "natural reproduction" is that the only way to truly reproduce the audio is to use the exact same audio system/equipment also the same room it has been mixed in as the artist have been using whiling creating and shaping the music. I wish there was more strict standards in the studio monitor world.. but I guess that is something for the future... but still too many factors that cooperate.

But I think it is good that the studio world use more and more the same monitors, for instance Genelec studio monitors has without doubt become the new studio standard in the last 5 years.
AKG 240Studio is still the most common headphones in studio, but mostly cause it is low budget, in the mid and hi range, there is no "specific" studio standards, cause there is too many choices...
I only wish we all just could agree which studio standards to use.. it would make it so much easier....but yeah I guess..in the future it will be much different...

I had the honor to try the Genelec monuiotrs them while recording in the studio last week..and..after I heard them I really want these, it was a real bliss to hear them, it did make me realize how crap my own monitors are at home, I really need new onces...it seem if you look around on forums it is between Genelec and Adam monitors that is the most obvious choices. Of course a 2-way or 3-way speakers
is the ideal if you can afford it. I also had the pleasure to hear the Yamaha NS10 which Is the standard as secondary or third monitor....I was surprised how much crap it sounded. No bass only mid range and screamy treble,  I guess...what makes it good is that is like putting magnifier glass on the mid range..if you can make it sound good on the NS10 it will sound good on all other speakers aswell..for some mysterious reason..

Yes, I definitely need a new headphone amp for my DT880, I think the amp I have now is not enough to make it sparkle...
While I probably will like it in future when I have a new amp, I kind of regret I bought the DT880, I should have bought HD650 instead,
I have only been reading overwhelming feedback and reviews of this phones. Well in future I will most likely own both.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:42:01 PM by Terraform »

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 12:26:04 AM »
Mike, the cd player is an Audio Research Reference Cd7, connected in balanced mode with XLR cables (Nordost Red Dawn).

Terraform, the music I can now experience is the most natural, true and neutral I've ever experienced in more than 40 years, the real thing, far from the cold, harsh and monodimensional music typical of the solid state (and I've used several good and "esoteric" solid state amps and cd players). Believe me, it is a totally new world, and don't believe to those stories about tube coloration: every kind of music can be graced by the tubes, voices and instruments come to a new life. Listening to ambient music is nothing short than incredible, for a very simple fact: the blackness from where it rises. The tubes can reproduce the dynamics of ambient music in a unique way, and the main difference between solid state and tubes is the high resolution you get at low volumes, sounds and textures seem to come from a very distant point in the space, gaining a 3D shape. At low volumes solid state simply kills the music, all the music, and everything sounds "dead". As you can expect, rock, jazz, folk and classical music are exciting too.
You mention the studio monitors, but hifi and studio equipment are different worlds. I'm afraid it is impossible to recreate in a house the "recording conditions" you are talking about, but a good pair of monitors like Genelec or Mackie can help. I have a pair of Mackie 824 in the studio and I'm totally satisfied, they are a bit "fat" in the lower end of the audio spectrum but once you know this you can take some corrections in the mastering phase. Regarding the Yamaha NS10, they are horrible, and it is very funny that people have considered them for years the standard in the studio.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
Hmmm, Noise Harvester ::::

"Noise Harvester removes line noise and converts it to another form of energy, light!"

www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/noise-harvester?cat=cables-accessories

Or perhaps the $99 wall socket :::

"The Power Port Premier adds a whole new level of performance for connected equipment. "

www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/power-port-premier?cat=power
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
Sorry, slight thread drift...  but this whole discussion reminds me of this:

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com