Author Topic: SoundQuest Fest 2010  (Read 6912 times)

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
Re: SoundQuest Fest 2010
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
Flying out Friday morning, hitting Tucson around 2:30. My friend Ed is flying in from Chicago to meet me--big Metcalf fan and we're both ridiculosly stoked for SQ. (Married guys with kids making a 1-weekend getaway...aren't we supposed to be going to Vegas?) Can't wait to put faces to names and to thank you in person for the wonderful music you've sent that's allowed me to do this whole review/podcast thing for so long.

Look for the fat guy in the Hypnagogue tee shirt. :-D
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Take a lot of pictures, guys, for those of us who won't be there.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »

I hope there's some stage diving and crowd surfing this time around.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Probably not, but maybe some didge dueling.  ;D

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »

Ok - everyone line up for the biggest didj contest!

(oh someone slap me...)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »
SLAP!  ;D

No didj in my set is planned, but I will be playing something almost as big.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Didj and drum circle in the hotel lobby! Yeee-hoo!
Hypnagogue Reviews
Hypnagogue Podcast

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Several years ago when Steve Roach played a house gig here in Denver my friend and I were laying on the floor face up, eyes closed, pretty much right in front of his rig... Steve had this sweet drone going and he started to play the didg.  I still had my eyes closed, almost asleep - or perhaps in some transcendental state - and in this state, I start to feel this warm heat on my face... I slowly open my eyes and Steve has the butt end of the didg not but 3 inches from my nose... I cracked a smile and looked over at my friend next to me and he's got this big old smile on his face looking at me.  Pretty fun moment.  :)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Listening to dream tracker. Bring back the "didg" Steve! Haven't heard it in the into in years!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
Just got the word, the evening before the show (Friday October 22nd) their will be a meet and greet in the lounge of the Country Inn & Suites, from 7:30pm to 9:00pm. If you plan on attending this, please rsvp to info@steveroach.com so we know how much food to prepare.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
 :(   :(   Well, the fest weekend is almost a week away. And it doesn't look like I will be able to make it out to Tucson for this event. I have to work that weekend and it doesn't look good for getting it off. This will be the first year I've missed Steve's performance since 1996. I am still working on getting the weekend off, but it doesn't look good.

So I am hoping that someone will be videotaping parts of the event. It sure would be nice to see it on youtube soon after. I know I'll be missing out on a once in a lifetime show by all these talented musicians. And I know that the didj will be making an apperance this time. For all those going next weekend have a great time.  ;)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »
It's time, I am hitting the road and will be in Tucson this afternoon. I hope to see some of you there.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 07:48:35 AM »
Good luck, Loren.  Sorry that I can't be there.  Break a few legs!

Forrest

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Hi friends,

I am one of those who are unable to join SoundQuest Fest, unfortunately I can't afford the travel costs all the way from Europe. So I would like to wish to all performers and visitors a very enjoyable event, have a great weekend in Tucson!!! And please keep us informed, thanks.

With friendly greetings,

Richard (Slovakia)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 03:55:49 AM »
It's been quiet on the Hypnos front last weekend, with so many away to Tuscon.
Wish I'd been there - but I look forward to hearing the reports.

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
SQ was a fantastic time. The meet n greet at the hotel on Friday was laid-back and great, with food & drink provided by our gracious hosts. From the moment you walked in, you felt welcome. Excellent chance to meet and put names to faces. Plus, the defining moment of the meet n greet was watching Steve Roach work the room with a tray of cookies.

As for the show...great sets from all. Loren started us off with some dark work, adding layers of gamelan to the mix. I particularly liked the stuff later in his set, some nice cave-born, shadowy atmospheres. Mark Seelig followed with his flutes and overtone singing, accompanied by mesmerizing, droney tamboura from Stefan Ford (whose name I hope I got right). Byron Metcalf found his way into the mix to add some clay-pot percussion. This set had more than a few people remarking that they had to "come back up" after. Personally speaking, I got myself into a deeply meditative state during this--and I usually can't meditate well for all the crap running around in my head. But I went deep, indeed.

A break, then, during which they introduced the new ImmersionStation iPhone app where you can mix your own Roach loops by manipulating five balls on-screen. In the half hour before the evening set began, they played part of the upcoming release by Roach & Brian Parnham. I only heard parts of it, but it's a desert-ambient style work that sounded great.

Erik Wollo kicked off the evening set by playing all of "Gateway." It was amazing to watch him get his programmed loops going, add guitar textures to the mix and then step back to play his melodies. I heard traces of David Gilmour in Erik's graceful playing. And if you haven't heard "Gateway" yet, you're doing yourself a disservice. Hearing it live only reinforced for me how strong this disc is. Amazing background graphics, by the way, playing off the beautiful CD cover.

And then it was Roach time. Steve charted a dynamic course through washes, analog bounce and soaring soundscapes. Metcalf joined him onstage to add frame drum and usher in the tribal section. From either wing, in came Dashmesh Khalsa and Brian Parnham, both hauling six-foot wide-belled didges to put the crowd in the middle of a space that echoed Nightbloom, Dream Tracker and Serpent's Lair. Both players at one point stepped out to let the other guide the flow. Parnham showcased his yelps and animal growls while Khalsa curled his breathwork from the bell in serpentine constructs. The didges went off, leaving Roach and Metcalf to work their long-standing alchemy in what one hopes was a tip toward their upcoming collaboration, which Byron told me will come from the same place as Serpent's Lair. Finally, it was just Steve winding it down from pulse to flow, at long last taking his hands from the controls and letting the last pad work through the room, finding its way through the applause.

This was a fantastic show. The crowd was sizable for an ambient gig--probably 150 or so for the afternoon session, swelling to easily twice that for the evening.  Everybody just digging deep into the grooves, happy to be, for once, hanging in a crowd of folks who get it.
Hypnagogue Reviews
Hypnagogue Podcast

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
SQ was a fantastic time. The meet n greet at the hotel on Friday was laid-back and great, with food & drink provided by our gracious hosts. From the moment you walked in, you felt welcome. Excellent chance to meet and put names to faces. Plus, the defining moment of the meet n greet was watching Steve Roach work the room with a tray of cookies.

As for the show...great sets from all. Loren started us off with some dark work, adding layers of gamelan to the mix. I particularly liked the stuff later in his set, some nice cave-born, shadowy atmospheres. Mark Seelig followed with his flutes and overtone singing, accompanied by mesmerizing, droney tamboura from Stefan Ford (whose name I hope I got right). Byron Metcalf found his way into the mix to add some clay-pot percussion. This set had more than a few people remarking that they had to "come back up" after. Personally speaking, I got myself into a deeply meditative state during this--and I usually can't meditate well for all the crap running around in my head. But I went deep, indeed.

A break, then, during which they introduced the new ImmersionStation iPhone app where you can mix your own Roach loops by manipulating five balls on-screen. In the half hour before the evening set began, they played part of the upcoming release by Roach & Brian Parnham. I only heard parts of it, but it's a desert-ambient style work that sounded great.

Erik Wollo kicked off the evening set by playing all of "Gateway." It was amazing to watch him get his programmed loops going, add guitar textures to the mix and then step back to play his melodies. I heard traces of David Gilmour in Erik's graceful playing. And if you haven't heard "Gateway" yet, you're doing yourself a disservice. Hearing it live only reinforced for me how strong this disc is. Amazing background graphics, by the way, playing off the beautiful CD cover.

And then it was Roach time. Steve charted a dynamic course through washes, analog bounce and soaring soundscapes. Metcalf joined him onstage to add frame drum and usher in the tribal section. From either wing, in came Dashmesh Khalsa and Brian Parnham, both hauling six-foot wide-belled didges to put the crowd in the middle of a space that echoed Nightbloom, Dream Tracker and Serpent's Lair. Both players at one point stepped out to let the other guide the flow. Parnham showcased his yelps and animal growls while Khalsa curled his breathwork from the bell in serpentine constructs. The didges went off, leaving Roach and Metcalf to work their long-standing alchemy in what one hopes was a tip toward their upcoming collaboration, which Byron told me will come from the same place as Serpent's Lair. Finally, it was just Steve winding it down from pulse to flow, at long last taking his hands from the controls and letting the last pad work through the room, finding its way through the applause.

This was a fantastic show. The crowd was sizable for an ambient gig--probably 150 or so for the afternoon session, swelling to easily twice that for the evening.  Everybody just digging deep into the grooves, happy to be, for once, hanging in a crowd of folks who get it.

Thank you Hypnagogue.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the review/recap, Hypnagogue.  Great stuff.

Anybody else who attended have anything to add?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
I would add to Hypnagogue that it was amazing to hang and meet so many people that you do not have to explain yourself and explain what is ambient.  Also, there were so many respected artists in attendance that it was great.

It was really encouraging and makes you feel like more of these types of events would perhaps expose more people to this.  I know it is complicated and expensive but it would sure be nice if we could set up mini versions of these across the country.  Maybe that's a dream but dreams are good.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
SQ was a fantastic time...

Thanks for such a detailed report John.  8)