Author Topic: Kerry Leimer  (Read 1169 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Kerry Leimer
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »
Anybody here a fan?  I'm looking for album recommendations -- I note he has a lot of stuff, and while much of it as sold on his site is inexpensive (and hopefully on true CD and not CDR), I wasn't sure where to begin ...

Ferngerms

• View Profile
Re: Kerry Leimer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »
The first album I ever bought from this artist was "Imposed Order" (my favorite of the bunch) it was at the time only available on vinyl which was around 1996...I went on to buy "Land Of Look Behind" (not one of my favorites) and then followed by "Closed System Potentials" all on vinyl...I never bought the CD's or CDR's....

Closed System Potentials - Is ridiculously ahead of it's time...produced in late 70's and early 80's....very similiar to work on the 12k label just 18 years ahead of it's time..."Stationary Image" "Four Pages from And Unfinished Novel"...funny how we have never mentioned just how important this artist must of been to artist like Taylor Deupree and the early glitch scene of the late 90's...you do get a little bit of cheese....Derivative is forgetable

Imposed Order -  This album has some beats and funky rhythms...but it also has my favorite pieces from this artists..."Three Forms Of Decay" "Simple Hierarchies" "Method Language Silence"....the only ambient compositions on the album but fucking awesome one's!!!!

Statistical Truth - A mixed bag of fantastic...and decent work....I have forgotten about this one as it sounded more like a compilation than an actual album...although some good pieces are to be found...number 4, 8, 10, 11.

The Listening Room - The last album I bought from this artist and more focused on classical minimalism...comparisons have been made with arvo part and ECM catalog...and rightfully so....but the track Teeming Solitude always gives me goosebumps...and body of the beloved is very very nice....all in all I think you need to start with "Closed system potentials"

Fern

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
Anybody here a fan?  I'm looking for album recommendations -- I note he has a lot of stuff, and while much of it as sold on his site is inexpensive (and hopefully on true CD and not CDR), I wasn't sure where to begin ...

Closed System Potentials, Land of Look Behind and Imposed Order are all very good though they owe a considerable debt to AGW-era Eno and Eno/Fripp. They were re-issued by Leimer in 1999 on the revived Palace of Lights label but, alas, are CD-Rs. I dread playing them now in case, like so many others, they don't play...though that would certainly carry forth the Eno theme given the track record of Opal's CD-R releases of Eno's installation soundworks. Hopefully they have since been pressed as real CDs.

Marc Barecca is another from the stable of PoL artists and had a nice cassette (!) called Music Works for Industry which I still have!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
Marc Barecca is another from the stable of PoL artists and had a nice cassette (!) called Music Works for Industry which I still have!

I have Marc Barreca's 'Twilight' (LP), which is probably my favorite of the POl releases, with Leimer's Imposed Order coming a close second.  Also enjoyed Leimer's cassette only release, "Music for Land & Water."  I have couple of Leimer's recent releases; they are a little too static for me, but I enjoyed portions of his CD(R?), 'Lesser Epitomes.' 

Forrest