Author Topic: Classical Lute Music  (Read 2488 times)

ambient789

• View Profile
Classical Lute Music
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
Well drat!    :(   I thought there was a related topic on this in the forum, but I looked and didn't find anything. To try to expand my musical interests a bit, I have listened to the solo lute music of John Dowland and Silvius Leopold Weiss recently. 

Really enjoy the simplicity and elegance of their works. Most classical I haven't really related to well, but here's an exception I happily found.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: Classical Lute Music
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
I've got Paul O'Dette playing the music of Daneil Bacheler on a CD called Bachelar's Delite. I just happened to hear a cut on a classical station and decided to get it. I went into a Barnes & Noble and looked around but they didn't have it so they ordered it for me. :) (Could've done that on my PC) It sounds like a very precise and articulate classical guitar. The music is from the Elizabethian Era.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
I'm a recent lute convert, too.  Just picked up Paul O'Dette's "Marco dall'Aquila: Pieces for Lute" on Harmonia Mundi.  Great disc. It was recorded live in a castle so there's  tons of natural reverb on this recording. The classical purists are poo-pooing this recording for this reason but being an ambient fan I think it adds rather than takes away. Highly recommended CD.

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
Thanks, I'll research those.  :)

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
I now have:

Silvius Leopold Weiss -- Concerto for 2 Lutes: Suites
Lutenists: Bernhard Hofstotter & Dolores Costoyas
ATMA Classique ACD2-2538

A bit more of a formal "feel" than a solo lute album. Reasonably happy with it. I have noted that the more instruments used in classical music the "feel" becomes much more formal.

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:03 AM »
for what it's worth, from a long-time lute music lover, I've REALLY enjoyed  Jakob Lindberg's recordings of Weiss' music on a recording simply called "lute music".  It's available at amazon, although it's an import.  It's beautifully recorded, and the music was played on a 1590 Rauwolf lute.  The tone of that instrument is very "warm"- not something people think of when they think of "lute music", but it sounds incredible.  Musically, you can't really go wrong with Weiss.  The O'Dette recording drone on mentions is also fantastic.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
I really like Lute also, especially the more melancholic side like John Downland.

I would also deeply recommend "Jordi Savall", check out is vast discography in case you haven't already...
He use the Lute a lot..

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
Recently got my first solo lute recording "Lute Music for Witches and Alchemists" played by Lutz Kirchhoff. I mainly got it because it features a piece by the 17th century alchemist Michael Maier. Overall the cd is a lot more gentle and mellow than the title would seem to suggest. But I am enjoying it...

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
I'm a recent lute convert, too.  Just picked up Paul O'Dette's "Marco dall'Aquila: Pieces for Lute" on Harmonia Mundi.  Great disc. It was recorded live in a castle so there's  tons of natural reverb on this recording. The classical purists are poo-pooing this recording for this reason but being an ambient fan I think it adds rather than takes away. Highly recommended CD.

I recently obtained this one. Haven't heard it all the way through. The melodies are what I expect for lute music but my stance on the reverb is neutral.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »

I have a couple of Paul O'Dette CDs on Harmonia Mundi that I've enjoyed quite a bit:

John Dowland Complete Works, Vol. 4
John Dowland Complete Works, Vol. 5
Lute Music, Vol. 2 (Early Italian Renaissance Music; a mid-line release)

My first exposure to lute was via a solo album by Jan Akkerman ('Tabernakel'), guitarist of 70s Dutch prog band Focus.  On the first half of the album, he plays several Renaissance pieces on lute, including a few by Dowland.

Forrest

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:30:33 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first exposure to the lute was way back in the 70s on 'I've Seen All Good People' by Yes. I didn't realize it was a lute until I saw the Yes concert movie that came out around '75-'76 or so. Steve Howe is the man!
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.