Author Topic: Your MySpace experiences ?  (Read 8879 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Your MySpace experiences ?
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:21:34 AM »
Was wondering about people's experiences here of MySpace ?

In some ways, I think it's something of a 'Fake Space', full of no-hoper bands and 'Suicide Girls'
tarts and the like. I've seen lots of profiles with awful music on which are heaped with praise in
the comments section. There's also some quite shocking images posted on some profiles.

On the other hand, (for a musician) the networking side really does work. The correspondence I've had
with other ambient musicians has been very encouraging (the private messages thing that goes on
behind the scenes), as has been the comments and messages from fans and 'friends'.   

I would say that the vast majority of previously unknown artists' music I've come across recently has
been from Myspace and the 'viral' nature of it leads to a degree of 'cross-pollination' that I don't
think exists anywhere else. To me it seems that all too often in the ambient world, people are
communicating with the people from the same world (usually about the same artists)...

Any thoughts ? 

cheers
Pete

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: Your MySpace experiences ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
Interesting place, that Myspace.  Suicide Girls Rock!  I just don't want my wife finding them as one of my friends! :D
The funniest one I have seen, read and communicated with is a Steven Spielberg myspace.  He has been in trouble for doing it, and even though he clearly states that he is NOT Steven, just a fan site, he still get messages of people trying to audition or submit screenplays.  I wrote the guy and asked if people really thought it was him, saying "that's like all those people who actually think theirs votes count on the American Idolatry show."  SO I got this comment back from him I had to keep.  From Steven Spielberg (with his picture next to it) "You won't believe the e-mail I get."  It just looks funny.  My dog Ringo has a Myspace page, and he has quite a few friends for never actually loggin on.  The reasons I did it was 1:  so that my top friend would be my dog Ringo and 2: so that I could figure out if messages, comments, and other things I try to send out actually work.  You'ld be suprised how many pets have Myspace pages. His is http://www.myspace.com/Ringo000

I do consider it a great place for networking.  I got my first and so far only gig through it.  I have met up with local musicians that I would never have known existed without it.  It also good to meet up with people from all over the world that have the same opinion and are working towards the same goals.
http://www.myspace.com/oenyaw000

Also, check out Virb (http://www.virb.com/oenyaw) the same, but different.  Not nearly as saturated.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
The signal to noise ratio on myspace is extremely poor -- lots of people without talent, lots of people being dishonest and misrepresenting themselves, plenty of fakes and liars, much superficiality.  I'm very cautious about myspace, and I've met people through there who turned out to be completely different from how they represented themselves.  For that reason, I have a lot of skepticism about everything and everyone I see on there, and proceed slowly when getting to know people.

If you can be careful, and filter out all the nonsense and crap, it's an amazing place to find people you could never have found otherwise. 

For example, among participants in the recent and upcoming Hypnos compilations, Sounds are Hidden Inside Objects, and Message from a Subatomic World respectively, I would say that roughly half the artists are people I came across through myspace.  For the compilation Lena is working on, Echoes of Polyhymnia, nearly all the "discoveries" were via myspace.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
As everyone else says, there's so much on there it's tough to filter out the noise. I've met a few people through myspace and some others have become interested in my music through the site, but it's difficult to find the time to check out everything that's out there in one genre, much less all the music. I typically check out anyone who wants to be friends and often click through friends of friends  if they look interesting.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
Was wondering about people's experiences here of MySpace?

Entirely positive. As a photographer I make it almost exclusively about music-related projects and people have respected that. I block "bands" and state that if you are mistakenly blocked to send a message. I peruse music samples and check websites via "friends" pages and have met and worked with many "established" artists partly as a result of contact made through MySpace.

OTOH I also run our magazine's page and find that, as a magazine with the word "review" in it, you attract indiscriminate promo hounds who haven't bothered to check the content first!

I also use both pages for event announcements and appreciate other's notices as well (though often the event is halfway around the world!)

www.myspace.com/markmushet
www.myspace.com/vancouverreview

More Hypnos friends always welcome!

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »
As a female "MySpacer", my experience is that I get a lot of nasty, pervy letters from guys, (which I just delete as fast as I possibly can). I hate that men come to my page & write all this nasty stuff, & it's obvious that they haven't even bothered to read anything I've written or listened to my music. It all starts to make you feel like your mind/interests/talents really don't matter in the slightest, and the only thing that anyone really cares about is the size of your t*ts, whether or not you're "hot" & if you "like to party." (I'm sure some of you are laughing right now & thinking "Well, isn't that all that really matters"? And hopefully you're kidding, but it really sucks to be a girl & get bombarded with this crap day after day after day. I mean, how would you like to work for months pouring  your heart & soul into an album and put it out there for the world to hear, only to get a ton of, "Hey baby, whut kinda' panties you wearin' right now"? BLEECHHHHH)!!! I was really depressed about it for awhile after I first started going there, (well, that & the whole "meat market" aspect of it). I try to avoid that scene as much as possible, but it seems to find it's way in to my personal space quite a bit. Why can't those stupid frat boys & creepy old men stick to the "slut pages"? (God knows there are PLENTY of them, and that's what they're there for)! You know, the ones where the girls have a ton of pictures of themselves in their underwear, they give themselves very self-respecting names like, "whore4you" & "partyslut", they haven't written anything in their blogs, and the only thing listed in their personal interests is, "I LIKE TO F*CK".  (Their mothers and fathers must be so proud)...Thank goodness not everyone who visits my page is rude & disgusting, and I've actually received a lot of  comments, compliments, & constructive criticism about my music. Thank you to all the gentlemen out there!

Oh, and it HAS been a really useful networking and advertising tool, (which are the main reasons I go there in the first place)...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:06:42 PM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
I admit - I only really created a myspace page so I could contact a very old friend of mine that I'd found there (which was really, really cool) - I'll eventually beef it up and "use" the page when I start rolling out new music later this year, but up to now - I just check when someone sends me a note or a friend request (not many of those - but then again - I'm not really asking anyone either... )

I can see your frustration, Lena... 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
I don't have a myspace page.
Maybe I should get an award for not joining the herd !

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »
You know how many girls solicit my dog?
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:12:51 PM »
ummm.....Mike?  Lena?  Didn't you two kind of, like, MEET on myspace?  I bet Mike was one of those creepy old men Lena was talking about... :)

Seriously, I've had a pretty decent experience on myspace, but I keep my friend's list purposely small, just because there ARE a lot of "fake profiles" on there, it seems- profiles that send out nothing but spam and what are probably phishing schemes.  In fact, of my "top friends", all but two are people I'd known before I was on myspace.

Lena, when I first joined myspace, I got a bunch of "hook up" offers from supposed supermodels who really really wanted to meet me.  However, I tend to avoid supermodels who can't even spell their swear words correctly.  :)  But at the end of the day, I knew that these were nothing but phishing attempts made, no doubt at all, by men.  I made the mistake of complaining about these messages to a female friend of mine on myspace, and she forwarded me a bunch of HER messages that she receives every day.  Ugly to the extreme- they were FAR beyond what even my fractured imagination could have cooked up.  Then my "baby" sister (who will be 21 in two months) told me about some of the e-mails SHE gets- yuck.  I do not envy you, or any other female on myspace.  Maybe you could just put a pic of you and Mike together on your profile- his ultra-manliness will scare off any perv-o guys.... :)

Jeff

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
You know how many girls solicit my dog?

Ha ha! (There are MySpace pages for THOSE kinds of people too)... :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:40:05 PM by lena »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
ummm.....Mike?  Lena?  Didn't you two kind of, like, MEET on myspace?  I bet Mike was one of those creepy old men Lena was talking about... :)

Seriously, I've had a pretty decent experience on myspace, but I keep my friend's list purposely small, just because there ARE a lot of "fake profiles" on there, it seems- profiles that send out nothing but spam and what are probably phishing schemes.  In fact, of my "top friends", all but two are people I'd known before I was on myspace.

Yeah, I was about to concoct some kind of wise remark about how it IS possible to meet nice people through myspace, since I got a wife out of the deal.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
Jeff, you are so funny! Yes, Mike & I actually did meet on MySpace, but he was one of the very rare gentlemen who visited my blog, (which is why I got to know him). See? I told you it's  been a useful networking tool for me, (I "netted" a husband, didn't I, hee hee)!  ;D Woo, you guys should have SEEN all the girls I had to compete with for M's attention, it was crazy!!! (Oh, & I'm kidding about the "netting a husband" thing. I swear I wasn't shopping for one at that time)... 

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »
I can see your frustration, Lena... 

Thanks, John! And it's not like I'm a prude or something, it's just frustrating when it seems like all anyone cares about is your physical appearance. I'm learning that it's just best to post a picture that doesn't have my face in it, (not that I think I'm "all-hot" and stuff, but those pictures seem to attract a lot more unwanted attention, (which is why a lot of female musicians do the same, so people will actually listen to their music instead of just cruising their pics). I also know a girl who is a wonderful musician, but doesn't post pictures of herself because she says that people are biased against her music because she's NOT attractive. (Like, she was getting nasty comments from guys about being "fat" & "ugly", and was getting called all kinds of terrible names). Dammit!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:40:18 PM by lena »

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 03:44:24 PM »
HA...and that's why I got a pic of a galaxy cluster cloud as my personal photo:) hehehehe
of course, maybe that's why I am sitting here at home alone and single hahahaha

hey, who knows, maybe I should put some of my love poems up for all to read...????
 ;D
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »
Very funny, but you boys are really lucky that every single thing you do isn't all wrapped up together with your physical appearance...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:57:07 PM by lena »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
Lena - That's just awful, the crap that comes your way through your music page! (Other than Mike, of course.  ;) )

I don't know if MySpace has done much for dreamSTATE CD sales - mp3.com used to be better
but it's another decent (or so I thought before hearing from the female side) interface point
with other people and musicians. I mainly get friend requests from other artists and I used to
try to visit everybody's page and if I liked their music, to make a little comment, but after a
while, so many requests began to come through that I didn't have spare listening time to address
them. After a month, they just get cut off your request list and I don't want to offend all the
nice people out there by having them think I'm shunning their requests, so I just go in every
few weeks and approve everybody who doesn't have too twisted a handle or photo. The
rest, I visit quickly to determine if they're nazis or whatever and approve/disapprove.

As most of the requests are from other artists, it's always great to get the requests
from real people who actually list ambient artists in their music likes and best of all
when they have a dreamSTATE track playing on their page when I visit.  ;D

When I have time to listen, there's lots of good music out there. I remember (for example) being
really impressed with Boris Lelong the first time I heard his work. Plus, it's just kinda fun to
put longtime and new internet music pals in your friends list.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
Very funny, but you boys are really lucky that every single thing you do isn't all wrapped up together with your physical appearance...

Says you! ;)

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »
In my tiny little mind, I like to think that my myspace presence helps get the word out about this community of artists. I've purposely limited my friends list to musicians, and I have a listen to their stuff before I admit them. I've gotten requests from pop bands, folks bands, etc. But I started it as an adjunct to the Hypnagogue site, and it's my hope that here and there a non-musician or two, one of the curious and unwashed masses, might wander in and discover a Lena or a Pete Kelly. But the guard's always at the door...you know, so no Suicide Girlz slip in undetected. :-)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Ha ha! There's nothing wrong with suicide girlz, (I even have a friend, a real life friend, I mean, who's one). I just wish that guys who are "cruising chicks" on MySpace would stick to the appropriate areas, & respect the personal space of people who are there for reasons other than "hookin'-up". (I think that some people, not just men, either, don't understand that MySpace isn't just one great, big, sweaty meat market). If it doesn't say that they're looking to  date in their profile, then leave them alone! (I've seen people scrolling through the pages & pages of profile pics like they're shopping, "Ooooh, this one's hot, I'll send them a friend request)"...