Author Topic: Your MySpace experiences ?  (Read 8500 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Your MySpace experiences ?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
but you boys are really lucky that every single thing you do isn't all wrapped up together with your physical appearance...

That's only because we're all a bunch of pasty-white trogloditic basement-dwelling music geeks...  we gave up on appearances years ago.  :D ;)

I haven't bothered to set up a myspace page, seems like just another thing to have to manage.  I can't be bothered to keep up my one simple website, let alone manage relationships with suicidal goth girls.  I get enough crap about how to get a "bigger rocket" or encouraging me to "amaze my chick with my new legendary manhood" in my email; seems like myspace would just make it worse...  :-\

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:22:10 PM by SunDummy »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
Lena,

Sorry to hear about your experiences with undesirable types. I have to say, I wouldn't set up a
personal profile myself.
I find it interesting to see how artists are using MySpace, some artists really 'work' it and are
busy leaving thank you comments and the like, they seem to be getting the most 'traffic'. I've found
that it takes quite a while before your profile reaches a 'critical mass' and you start getting a lot
of requests from people outside your 'circle' of friends.

I really do dislike the way some artists really 'whore' themselves though, if I see loads of tarts on
their friends list, then I always refuse their requests. 

As a contact point where you can have a blog, 6 tracks for people to stream/download, the ability to
have videos/pics and be able to sell Cds from your profile, it has quite a lot going for it.
The hacking/phishing is a pain - I change passwords regularly and approve comments before I let them
go on my profile and I've not been hacked (so far!)

Finally, (IMO) it's not ideal, but it is a great networking site for musicians and being an ambient
musician, I need all the help I can get !

cheers
Pete

Phaenon

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »
Hi all,

My experience has been very positive so far (I'll just skip the bad things you mentioned before...). I've met some nice people there (hi Pete!). :)
I've found bunch of great musicians and we stay in touch. It helps me to discover new music, especially ambient related.
And labels, heh. I've been very lucky here. Cyclic Law and Malignant Records have contacted me after checking my tracks on Myspace.
Jason from Malignant was so kind to give me a chance and took a risk to release my debut album "Submerged".
And then I was lucky again with Hypnos. Mike has picked my track "Quantum silence" for upcoming Hypnos compilation. Thanks Mike!
Overall, it proved to be a great place to promote my music. :)

As for me, it's also a good place to find graphic artists, painters. Many unknown (yet) talents out there.
I mentioned it since the visuals play important part in my creation process. Good luck to you all!

Best, Szymon