Author Topic: ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents JOHN VORUS, Friday July 23  (Read 1132 times)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents JOHN VORUS, Friday July 23
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents

An Evening with JOHN VORUS

FRIDAY, JULY 23

DOORS OPEN @ 7:30 PM PERFORMANCE @ 8 PM

ADMISSION: $15 advance ticket $18 at the door

LOCATION: 9 Edward Place, Woodcliff Lake NJ 07677 USA 201.316.5403

PURCHASE TIX HERE:
www.mycommunitytickets.com/organization_info.asp?orgid=1521

FOR DIRECTIONS & FURTHER INFORMATION:
www.onethousandpulses.com

According to John Vorus, "I see working with sound as mapping vibrations in air. By matching together different vibrational patterns, it is possible to create, in three-dimensional space, the subtlety and atmosphere of a place that is reflected in your consciousness. When I hear a sound I can see its shape, color, texture, and movement in my head. So, for me, sound is a visual art that you see with your mind."

Vorus's weapon of choice is the didgeridoo, that primitive Australian soundmaker the Aborigines carved out of local wood, each one utterly unique in its tonal phrasing, composition, & aural fingerprint. Schooled in the technique of circular breathing, the traditional, most direct connection to the didg's particular sonic codex, Vorus wrings out all manners of tones, both earthly & unearthly, from the magical instrument. The fact that he harnesses the sounds of electronic processes to the didg's mainframe doesn't detract in the slightest; on the contrary, this unholy merger of primitive analog with contemporary digital electronic atmospheres serves to heighten and emphasize the dynamic range of both idioms.

Vorus's debut album, "Transmuting Currents", raises many visual spectres via his particularly colorful and vibrant melding of sounds, allowing the deep sonorities of the didg to seamlessly blend, blur, and whirl within deftly sculpted electronic textures and sharp rhythms. Like Steve Roach's similarly forged techno-tribalisms, Vorus's creations also conjure ancient and contemporary sound mystics, a shamanistic music of great breadth and power.

> www.johnvorus.com
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

Youngblood

• View Profile
    • CdBabyPage
Re: ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents JOHN VORUS, Friday July 23
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
Darren, I'm hoping for a stream/recording of this!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »
i LOVE that Transmuting Currents CD.  Still hoping for a follow-up.

Youngblood

• View Profile
    • CdBabyPage
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
i LOVE that Transmuting Currents CD.  Still hoping for a follow-up.

We're doing one now!  ;)