Author Topic: Revisiting some old Mathias Grassow material - Arcanum - WOW!  (Read 982 times)

Terrak

• View Profile
I've recently been exploring some of the older material from a variety of ambient artists,
from Steve Roach to Alio Die, to Mathias Grassow. One album that struck me with its power and
refinement is "Arcanum", a collaboration between Mathias Grassow, Amir Baghiri, and Rudiger Gleisberg.
Wow! Deep ambient soundworlds with frequent percussion thats reminiscent of earlier Steve Roach.
Just wanted to bring this album back into the forefront, and let others out there know that the album is worth exploring, or
re-exploring once again. (Album was originally released 1997, then a re-issue with two bonus tracks in 2007)
Note - The two bonus tracks add a good deal to the album's strength.

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Revisiting some old Mathias Grassow material - Arcanum - WOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Yes, Arcanum is an AWESOME release!  I bought the original release on Arya/Amplexus in 1997 and was blown away.  The bonus tracks on the reissue by Faria are excellent and this is worth purchasing even if you have the original. 

Terrak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
Glad you agree Drone on. The album sounds fresh, spacious, and as you said, awesome.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
It is indeed a masterpiece. One of my favorite "tribal" (for lack of a better word) ambient albums. "The Colour of Dreams" alone is worth the price of admission.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Terrak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Your right Sophistry. Colour of dreams was awe-inspiring from the first listen, and its impact hasnt diminished for me.