Author Topic: Andrew Chalk- The Cable House  (Read 2190 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Andrew Chalk- The Cable House
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
I just bought this disc, and I am just blown away by it. It's so much different than the the usual Chalk CD in that the deliberately placed piano notes seem to lend a sense of structure that's missing from his other material. How to describe it... well, extremely minimal and muted piano, wrapped in a fog of treated piano decay, and/or synth. Very somber and introspective, very secretive...  music for hermits.  For whatever reason, the mood of this album reminds me of walking into a dense and unfamiliar forest at dusk  --beautiful, mysterious, but a little forboding too.

I suppose a point of comparison could be the Harold Budd/Eno "The Pearl" disc, but "The Pearl" is uproarious and impulsive when compared to the stillness of "The Cable House".

Anyhow, I'm endlessly impressed, and would like to know where I can get more music of a similar structure and mood. You know, the lo-fi piano, wrapped in a mysterious gauze of haze and fog... does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Incidently, I also just discovered the Talor Deupree/Kenneth Kirschner "Post Piano" discs. More of that awesome piano sound, treated and warped and stretched by Deupree, and surrounded by hiss and static. I love this stuff :)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: Andrew Chalk- The Cable House
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
 That sounds like a nice sub-genre too!  I'm sure Joe you probably have heard of Cendre by Fennesz & Sakamoto.  That still may not be foggy or muted enough though...  you could pm the forum member Ferngerms if he's not reading this, as he seems to be one of the premiere "crate-diggers" around here of the obscure ambient.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:58:37 AM »
That sounds like a nice sub-genre too!  I'm sure Joe you probably have heard of Cendre by Fennesz & Sakamoto.  That still may not be foggy or muted enough though...  you could pm the forum member Ferngerms if he's not reading this, as he seems to be one of the premiere "crate-diggers" around here of the obscure ambient.

Thanks a lot Judd!!!  that's awfully nice of you to say saomething like that....

Well it a bit tough...right off hand...and I will dig through my collection and surely find more stuff that matches your description...I know you must have these...

Aloof Proof - Expo Two-Piano Text - Carbon Base or the freshly remasterd Infraction (perhaps to ambient?)

And definetly give this one a shot:
Tanner Menard - The Oceans Of Your Aura - Slow Flow - CD-R
(A Lot Of Pieces are very Piano oriented with enviroemtnal sounds and static at the background)

Actually the Tanner Menard should be perfect!!!

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:11:57 AM »
Have you tried

Xeltrie - Litotes -

this should fit the bill...or perhaps to much piano???

What About David Wengrenn - Sleepless Nights (Some Tracks should work off this album)

If you like these than you should like the work from Asher - Miniatures

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »
I should check this out...if there is one thing I have learned here on the forum over the years, if Joe R likes it...I probably will.  ;D
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
Yes, the Tanner Menard disc on Slow Flow Rec is awesome--heavily processed muted pianoscapes.  I've put off getting the Cable House and will definitely be picking it up. 

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
i agree THE CABLE HOUSE is an exceptional beautiful release!
if you look for anything that comes close to this sound or mood, why just not give a try to Chalk's other CD TIME OF HAYFIELD which is imo incredible.. and has a very similar feeling to TCH.
or Vikki jackman's WHISPERING PAGES, this one features more of her lingering piano-tinklings..

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
I should check this out...if there is one thing I have learned here on the forum over the years, if Joe R likes it...I probably will.  ;D

Heh, thanks Paul :)

How have you been doing?

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Yeah Judd, I have the Fennesz/Sakamoto disc and it's awesome. For some reason i love the structureless piano-and-gentle-noise combination.

I have the Aloof Proof one too, but for some reason that one no longer holds my interest for long. But that Tanner Menard definitely sounds right up my alley. I'll check out the Xeltrie and the others too...

Thanks for the advice, and keep those recommendations coming!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Well, I finally found the music that I've been hearing in my head, but couldn't find anywhere on-line. It's called Listening Mirror- Falling Under, and you can find it here:

http://heatdeathrecords.bandcamp.com

You know, it's got those ethereal, suspended-in-air piano notes that seem to echo on forever, all wrapped up in a floating synth fog. Incredibly still, mysterious music. Great stuff! It's only an EP, but you get an immediate download when you order the disc.

Fern, you should get this, because you have everything else, and you seem to enjoy most of it ;-)
I think you'll like this too.

And I ordered the Tanner Menard disc as well, that should arrive in a week or so, hopefully.