Author Topic: Help finding specific ambient music  (Read 1242 times)

Polybus

• View Profile
Help finding specific ambient music
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
Hey, this was the first ambient music related forum I could find, so I hope someone can help me. Cause Im really in a bind!

Im looking for anything that sounds similar to the Ergo Proxy OST by Ike Yoshihiro. I really love this stuff. It has a dark sound and fuses ambient with some rock, techno and even religious music (I particularly like the chanting with the beat). Something like this:

Ive searched high and low, but keep finding stuff like Lustmord (which isnt even music imo just eerie sounds) or Aphex Twin (which has a spacey sound). The closest Ive found is actually some post-rock tracks, but only some.

So can someone help me out?  ???

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Help finding specific ambient music
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »
In keeping with anime soundtracks - my favorite is Yoko Kanno (GITS:SAC, Cowboy Beebop, Wolf's Rain, 7 million others).  You won't be unhappy with her.

I haven't seen/heard Ergo Proxy so no idea if I'm really in the right realm, but you can't go wrong with Kanno.  I have 4 GITS:SAC soundtracks and they're all excellent and range from rock to jazz to ambient to dance to film score. 

The soundtracks for the GITS films are also nice - done by ummmm... I'd have to look it up... somboday Kawaii I think.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
Ergo Proxy's good stuff. Try some of Raison d'Etre's early albums. Very similar ingredients. Also, maybe Delerium? Some of Paul Schwartz's State of Grace albums?
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Polybus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »
Hmm, Ive heard Yoko Kannos stuff from Cowboy Bebop, and while the wild jazzy stuff was great, it was nothing like Ergo Proxy. And this is kind of the problem with soundtracks.. you tend get linked to other good soundtracks instead of similar music! I will though check out her other stuff just in case, and Raison Detre, Delerium, State of Grace, thanks!

But does anyone know what this kind of music is called (is it even called anything)? Its dark but not Dark Ambient the genre.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Gothtronica? A lot of darkwave has a similar vibe (though it usually has lyrics; dunno if you care). Other good instrumental stuff (though a bit more minimalistic) would be anything by Ulf Soderberg or his other project, Sephiroth.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.