Author Topic: Autechre - is it worth it?  (Read 15231 times)

Undershadow

Autechre - is it worth it?
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Dunno why I bother cos I havenít liked an album of theirs since this:

but anyway here I am, for historical musico-cultural reasons, listening to their latest, Quaristice:

and not having an easy time of it. Not quite as much of an ordeal as the last three albums, but still little to hang on to here in terms of texture or a beat that doesn't disappear up its own arse. Solipsistic Max/Msp workouts for the most part. Approach with caution.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:04:01 PM by Undershadow »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Autechre - is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
They can't disappear up their own ass with a new release when they've already been dwelling up within said own-ass for the past decade, almost.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
Evidently the arse they had been up for the last decade developed another one, up which their output proceeded to disappear. A little like what happened with the Cheshire Cat's grin, perhaps...

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
But seriously, it's a shame what happenned to Autechre. They had such a great promise...but wait, ....there's that Uwe guy, Arovane that is! I feel much better now!

Undershadow

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Arovane carried forward the post-Tri Repetae torch admirably. Unfortunately he got jaded after Lilies (2004) and went into semi-retirement. Arovane actually had a lot more going on in the harmonic/melodic department than the AE guys. I do admire AE for what they bequeathed in terms of their um... 'intelligent techno' ('scuse my shorthand) template, but others like Arovane (Bola was another) filled out the template more alluringly.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
I've gone through all the various coping stages, years ago, dealing with one of my favorite electronic music acts becoming utterly useless and lame.  Now I just don't care too much any more.  In fact, I don't look at Amber, Tri Repetae, or Incunabula the same way now, quite.  They're like a girlfriend who cheated on me, and I can never look at the pre-transgression times the same way again!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Undershadow

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Youíre a hard man, Mr Griffin. I, on the other hand, seem to be more like the guy who canít resist allowing the once-loved newly-reappeared ex- back for a one-more-night experiment, which always ends up in regret and recrimination. I'm still listening, but it's messy...

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »
I feel the sadness...I made it up to Untilted (purchased in a moment of direly nostalgic weakness) but I knew it had been going wrong for years. I really did try to enjoy Draft 7.30, but Untilted finally proved that these guys were not inscrutable and deep, just covering up a total lack of vital ideas under a pile a technoid jibberish. This finally poisoned their whole back catalogue for me, and it all, inlcuding Tri-Repetae, went straight to the trade-in stalls, along with most of my other Warp indiscretions. Not to mention their totally suck, dish-watery pretentious cover art (or lack thereof). Saying that, some deep part of my musical curiosity just cried out for me to hear the new one. Don't do it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:47:17 PM by 9dragons »

Undershadow

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
You're right. I have been weak. There really should have been no room for forgiveness after the utter betrayal that was Confield. That, in retrospect, really merited a ceremonial pyre-burning of all their stuff, a changing of the locks, and a unilateral withdrawal of all the savings from our joint bank account.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
Wow, what an interesting thread. I don't know who these Autechre guys are, or what their music is like,  but seldom have I read such consistently vitriolic criticism of a band's style of music (or non-music?) You guys really do sound like scorned lovers!

However, someone out there must enjoy their music, right?

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
Wow, what an interesting thread. I don't know who these Autechre guys are, or what their music is like,  but seldom have I read such consistently vitriolic criticism of a band's style of music (or non-music?) You guys really do sound like scorned lovers!

I agree. Cut them some slack. After all, how would you like it if a stream of vitriolic contempt was directed towards Steve Roach's music on the "Process-obsessed-wankers-who-look-and-sound-like-they've-never-had-sex" newsgroup? ;)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »

However, someone out there must enjoy their music, right?

You're right, Joe.  There are plenty of recording artists who have declined in my estimation, and I don't get too worked up about them.  Few have ever pissed me off by going so directly from "top 10 wonderful" to "so awful as to be insulting to anyone who ever enjoyed them."

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »
I never liked 'em.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

MPECK

• View Profile
    • MPECK MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »
Can't say that I am head over heels about them. But, I do however appreciate their craft of sound design and beat arrangement. Haven't heard the new one, but I'll get around to it eventually. Thanks for starting the thread Alan, I had overlooked that it had been released.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
Mike- Don't get me wrong- I'm not criticizing you, or anyone else, for judging them that harshly. I've felt the same way towards a band (or two) who I felt had "let me down". My impression from you guys is that they've become very "noise" oriented, and I probably wouldn't like them myself.

I just find it remarkable that EVERYONE here feels the same way, and I'm wondering how they have any fans at all, if they've changed so drastically???

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
There's "noise" and then there's "noise."  Noise can be treated artfully, or it can be an irritating racket.  If it's enough of an irritating racket, people listening might almost start thinking you're kind of having a laugh at their expense.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
What pisses me off is that after I got their <tri repetae>, still looking for the glimpses of genius, I kept buying every other CD not only released by them but also by the Warp label, and consequently had wasted a lot of money that could've been spent on really nice music...Another guy that I feel likewise about is Mick Harris of Scorn...

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
It's okay to hate when one once loved so deeply...and that is the case here, I think. It's true, the early catalogue of Autechre was so impressive that it led me (and many others, judging by this thread) to keep slogging forward with their newer releases, wasting a chunk of change in the process, just to get that one drop of nectar amongst the ruins. I suppose it serves us right - that kind of obsession with recapturing nostalgia is in general doomed. But if Autechre had started out their career with Confield, they would at this point, with the few releases since then, be considered some completely minor goof-off band with maybe a bit too much technical geekery for their own good. It is purely on the strength of their early releases that they have coasted this far. It was the wonder and beauty of early Autechre that really initiated me into electronica - yet I am not in any way scorning them for being too experimental or avante-garde. I wouldn't expect them to make variations on the same record over and over again, milking past glories. I welcome exploration, innovation, but the main problem is is that it has no heart, no soul, no real inspiration. Now this might seem a funny thing to say about a software obsessed, dehumanized style of electronica like Autechre make, but that was the hallmark of their beauty; it was so cold and inhuman, so alien, yet it expressed an ineffable sadness, as if humanity had vacated the earth, leaving the machines as the only sign of life, and through some process of accretion those machines gained a vestige of soul, and the sounds they make begin to take on meaning, even a delicious melancholy. Truly a ghost in the machine effect that in my opinion is the result of great electronica. But they lost or disregarded this core of their music, and got so wrapped up in getting farther, in pushing it beyond, that it becomes a joke. I long for the beauty of the sad toaster, humming to itself sweetly in the blackness of space, or the dreaming refrigerator, whispering in the mechanized void of things no one can know...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
I feel the same way about Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. I didn't buy it , but I had a friend who did, and of course it's the most hideous screeeching imaginable (I dare anyone to come up with something worse). It's like the ultimate "fuck you" to your audience. And there were people who claimed to love it! ???

And there's Bob Dylan's Self Portrait, a similar exercise in fucking with people.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »
I think their Finnish label-mates Brothomstates achieved what Autechre is currently failing at with their CD Claro. It seemed like the right path between process-heavy electronica and musicality. Anyone else know this release and have opinions? Don't think another CD was forthcoming from them after this one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:00:50 PM by Mark Mushet »