Author Topic: ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents GEARS OF SAND SHOWCASE, Sat 8/7  (Read 1417 times)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents

GEARS OF SAND Showcase

with BEN FLEURY-STEINER, WILLIAM FIELDS, & MIKRONESIA

SATURDAY, AUGUST 7

DOORS OPEN @ 7:30 PM • PERFORMANCE @ 8 PM

ADMISSION: $15 advance ticket • $18 at the door

LOCATION: 9 Edward Place, Woodcliff Lake NJ 07677 USA • 201.316.5403

PURCHASE TIX HERE:
www.mycommunitytickets.com/organization_info.asp?orgid=1521

FOR DIRECTIONS & FURTHER INFORMATION:
www.onethousandpulses.com

Gears of Sand (GoS) Recordings was launched by Ben Fleury-Steiner in 2001 originally as a philosophy (inspired by John Cage, LaMonte Young & Tetsu Inoue, among others) as well as a platform for his own musical experiments. By 2004, after "meeting" (via the Internet) a community of artists who shared his love for drone, noise, textural ambience, and other unclassifiable experimental musics, Fleury-Steiner decided to transform GoS into a vehicle for releasing works of artists he came to admire, establishing the GoS ethos as based on aural explorations without boundaries, encompassing the phrase "sounds of impermanence." In the last few years GoS has issued over 50 releases by artists from more than a half-dozen countries from around the world.

Stylistically, the label’s releases expose quite a cornucopia of genre; there’s a bunch of talented folks at work here, and virtually the entire catalog offers a splendid sampling of gauzily atmospheric, aurally tantalizing noises. We invite you to witness three of GoS's finest tickling the senses in varying ways and perhaps in varying combinations: whether it's in tandem with Fleury-Steiner's mbira-derived drones, William Fields's mutant ambient glitch fantasies or Mikronesia's delicately-balanced software drift, their respective Gears should mesh beautifully in the OTP listening space.

> Gears of Sand • www.gearsofsand.net
> Ben Fleury-Steiner • www.myspace.com/bfsprojects
> William Fields • www.williamfields.com
> Mikronesia • www.mikronesia.com

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:49:28 AM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

1000snakes

• View Profile
Re: ONE THOUSAND PULSES presents GEARS OF SAND SHOWCASE, Sat 8/7
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Darren,

I love your concert series and wish that I could attend all of them! Unfortunately it's a long way from British Columbia to New Jersey!!! Maybe someday. Best wishes for your continued success.

Peace, Kirk

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
Darren,

I love your concert series and wish that I could attend all of them! Unfortunately it's a long way from British Columbia to New Jersey!!! Maybe someday. Best wishes for your continued success.

Peace, Kirk

thanks for the supportive words, kirk - hope you can in fact make it down to a future show. a good portion of 2011 is already booked, and i will be announcing & posting those gigs in the fall.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
Darren has created a first class all the way home concert series -- 1,000 Pulses is everything and more that the serious audiophile would come to expect from the man who created the late and great e|i -- and he even sells overstock copies at the shows...

What a joy to play...It was more than 2 hours of improvisational solo and collaborative performance by myself, William Fields, and Mikronesia.   A showcase of where we all were in the moment-- and I think it's pretty hard to pin completely down, even for the adventurous listeners...

I'm excited to see the video and listen to the recording - the discovery of the hidden music only improvising in a social setting can produce is always fun.

I'm hoping to get back up there for Jason Sloan's performance next month!