Author Topic: Floating in the waters of O÷phoi  (Read 8248 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: Floating in the waters of O÷phoi
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Let's see what happens, I'm completely open.

Well I'm completely uneducated in the subject of pressing and distributing, but why not Steve Roach productions?  I would think if Oophoi music was in Steve's camp, that stuff would sell like hot cakes (or the Italian bakery equivalent  ;) ) because presumably there's already a big fanbase who buy from him, and he's released music on his own label other than himself.

If not, I think it's time for Spotted Peccary to go the way of Hearts of Space Fathom edition!

TestZero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
Hi Oophoi,

We have a lot of your work and love it. My Wife, Lucette Bourdin, is a big fan and says hello.

Have you talked to Stephen Philips at Dark Duck Records? He also loves your work and might like to release something.

Cheers,
TZ
Nothing in the world is lost,
Nothing falls into the void,
Not even the words and deeds of man;
Everything has its place and destination.
Zohar

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
The Roach Productions I believe was started as a vehicle for newer artists who Roach has helped with their music production, like Brian Parnham and Nathan Youngblood. 

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
I'm afraid Steve is too busy with his own works and his close friends' productions, but I agree with Judd that his label would be perfect for my music. As for Spotted Peccary, I've sent them a message a couple of years ago about a possible release but they did not reply.
Hi Test Zero, I'll check with Stephen very soon, we've been in contact for years; I love his label, so why not?
Hi Lucette, I'm a big fan of your music too and I hope we'll work on that collaboration we've been talking about.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 04:04:10 AM »
I would think Projekt would be interested as well.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
Projekt- yeah, why the hell not?  Forrest Fang, Steve Roach... Oophoi.  Makes sense to me.

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Project? I've sent Sam Rosenthal an email three or four years ago, asking for a possible Projekt release of my music. He replied that they had Roach and Alio Die.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:02 AM »
Seems strange Projekt would release a solo Mark Seelig CD but not be interested in Oophoi!  Sam Rosenthal's loss...

As for Alio Die, Projekt doesn't really release his music anymore, at least not for a few years now.

In my view, Rosenthal seems to release music based on his "friends" taste instead of the public's.  I mean, ERIK WOLLO on Projekt?? I really like the Wollo Projekt release "Gateway," but this release seemed more like a "favor" to Steve Roach than anything else because they did that collaboration on Projekt.  To me it doesn't fit the label at all.  And that Seelig release "Disciple," didn't really understand that one either.  Can't see sales of these being too high. 

I think we need to start a petition for an Oophoi Projekt release.

Now that I think of it, Mathias Grassow got a raw deal as well by being denied a Hypnos release.  Never understood why Hypnos would not put out even ONE Grassow disc yet release stuff by virtual unknowns in droves.  If the "Path of White Clouds" reissue ever comes out on Hypnos I'll eat my words. But until then...   

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
We're sorry for making Gigi (and other artists) wait so long for their releases, but everybody please be assured we'll release more of Oophoi's music very soon.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »
Now that I think of it, Mathias Grassow got a raw deal as well by being denied a Hypnos release.  Never understood why Hypnos would not put out even ONE Grassow disc yet release stuff by virtual unknowns in droves.  If the "Path of White Clouds" reissue ever comes out on Hypnos I'll eat my words. But until then...   

I suppose if you want to make assumptions without understanding the situation, you could say Mathias got a "raw deal" from Hypnos.  I remember the situation differently.

I assume you're talking about "The Last Bright Light" by Mathias and Jim Cole, which we planned to release years ago on Hypnos.  I even designed a cover, did all the layout and everything.  This was at a time of a lull between Hypnos releases (I don't remember specifically why there was a delay), and Mathias and Jim became impatient and decided to withdraw the planned release and give it to another label.  There were no hard feelings on my part, though I can't tell you if the artists feel there was some kind of "raw deal."  Delays happen with very small record labels, sometimes.  I don't know if the release of TLBL worked out well for them, or not.  I don't believe either Cole or Grassow released anything with Atmoworks again after that, at least.

As for "Path of White Clouds," though, I view that as more of an "Oophoi and friends" release rather than a Grassow-driven project.  That's nothing against Mathias, and I'm not trying to imply anything about the relative importance of the input of the various artists -- it's just that it's a project brought to me by Gigi, not by Mathias. 

The reason for the most recent delays with Hypnos releases is very simple.  We completely re-worked our approach packaging last year, which took a bunch of time.  Then we re-worked it again, because enough people disliked what we did with "Infinite In All Directions" and the "Daylight Slowly" reissue.  Also, we have ended our relationship with the CD manufacturing company with which we had done at least sixty releases.  So there has been a period of time dealing with a new design, and seeking out new manufacturing options.

Honestly, Drone On, sometimes people come up with the weirdest theories, and ascribe ill will in places where none really exists.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
well..I will chime in here...

Mike came to my rescue a couple of years ago when I could no longer do my record label due to job situation and he released my Alternate Realms under his secret sounds. Like most musicians we are like kids on christmas and we want to see immediate release of our albums on record labels, but I knew that Mike was a very busy man with running his record label helping me design the cover, etc but overall, I thought he did a great job and I was quite please with the album when it was released...a BIG THANKS to you Mike for the hard work you do on running and managing your record label and the artists on them...
I have finally found road back to getting my record label back up and running but those dark times when I need a visible path to showcase my music off, Mike was there...

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
That's nice of you to say, Darren.

I don't expect artists to like waiting for their CD to be released, and if a pending release gets "stuck" behind a delay that's my fault, I don't blame the artist for getting impatient, or even for wanting to release the album elsewhere.  This happened recently with a planned Faryus release, by the way, without any hard feelings.

I also don't blame listeners for wondering why sometimes CDs come out more than one per month for a while, and then we see these long dry spells.  Of course I would rather consistently release one CD every couple of months at least, but sometimes things come up, and I think rather than just sticking the CDs out there for better or worse, sometimes I think it's better to hold up and re-evaluate.  The end result will be that "Path of White Clouds" will be released in a digipak, rather than a minimal paper sleeve, which I think will be more pleasing to the artists, and to those who purchase the product.

I definitely have some work ahead of me to get caught up with these things.  We'll have the new Herion album ready to go very soon, and then probably Path of White Clouds, and the Oophoi/Seren Ffordd release.  At least that's the way it looks from here!  I'll delve into all of these tonight and make a "to do" list of what needs to happen to get all of these into the manufacturing stage before the end of the summer.  Herion's album art and layout is pretty much ready to go so I'm hoping to get that one sent off within the week.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
that's the thing about being on the inside of running a label...I know there's lots of 'HATS' one has to wear at any given time to run a label and sometimes it just gets overwhelming..:)
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
I wasn't saying there was ill-will involved, I'm saying Mathias deserved to have a proper US release and for some reason it has never happened.  When there always seems to be a delay with one artist, a person can start to wonder, though.   

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »
As Mike said, Nebula is an "open" group of friends. I usually start a project giving the basic ideas and then developing the compositions, adding some sounds I get from the guests.     I have composed "The Path of White Clouds" entirely, with the exception of the last track, which is by Klaus Wiese. After Klaus' death, Nebula disbanded; this is why I'm happy that Mike is considering a reissue on Hypnos.
As for Projekt, I agree with Drone On, it seems like they release just the music of their friends, it is a choice and I must respect it.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 04:32:28 AM »
Interesting to hear about the packaging issues. So a digipak is to be the new format for Hypnos releases?

Sorry to hear of your health issues Gigi; when health interferes with our lives, and the making of our art, it is difficult, but we struggle to overcome it and continue in creativity, sometimes better for it. It is good to hear you have projects that are ready to emerge into the world, I think with patience things will go well. Your music is pure and powerful, though the purity of its essence might make it more obscure, even in the ambient world. The state of labels these days seems nebulous (no pun intended). Hypnos seems like the perfect label to release the music of Oophoi. Athlit is a great example of label and artist having a unified vision. I can't think of any other labels out there, but I've been out of the loop for some time. Infraction is another great ambient label. Mike, are your packaging concepts, as far as digipak, going to be like the six panel Infraction digis? Hypnos and Infraction kind of have that same feel of continuity of design and vision, I like the idea that both labels will have digipak style. Your layout and art will roll smoothly with this format.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
Sometimes I have enough difficulty managing to do my own stuff let alone be involved in doing everything necessary for a label...

So despite my own current impatience I tip my hat to Mike and Lena (as I do to Gigi for his support from Umbra/Penumbra) and will try to focus on the excitement and wait - after all the impatience is the other side of the excitement.

With Hypnos looking into the digipak style cover I am even more excited and full of anticipation as I prefer them to jewel cases.

Dealing with manufacturing problems and redesigning packaging doesn't leave much of CD music production left to run smoothly so I hope it all comes together nicely for Mike and Lena soon.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
Yeah, I like the digipak idea too for Hypnos, should be good.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:27 AM »
If you're jonesing for some new Oophoi in a digipak (although the spine is upside-down - a far-too-common design mistake - though I doubt it was designed by Gigi) - I've been repeatedly enjoying an ariel view, a single spacious evolving longform piece from the Wurm Series at Glacial Movements. I think it was only released last year.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
Nah, I think it was 2008 for An Aerial View.