Author Topic: Hardware loopers  (Read 9302 times)

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: Hardware loopers
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
I was curious about the Line6 M13 and M9. Can you use an expresion pedal to volume out each loop?

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »

Scott has a good point here : for us ambient musicans who love our sounds to dissolve slowly, stomping the sound in and out can be way too abrupt.

That's why I use the BOSS DD20 pedal : it's not a looper (though it includes one), it's a delay with 23 seconds capacity. That means the "loops" gradually disappear, at a rate the user can control with a knob. Frippertronics style.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DD-20

Thanks, I used one of the Boss pedals at the Immersion festival last year. It worked ok for the Fripp style stuff, but I also need phrase looping this time.

The Digitech pedal only shares the name with the Lexicon device, but thatīs about it. Itīs good for phrase looping (like building up that one-man-orchestra-jamming-with-himself thing) but for ambient stuff itīs quite as useless as the delay in the Line6 DL-4. It punches in and out way too abruptly.

For what I have in mind I will need it to do both. I think the Jamman Delay version will do both, as it has the regular phrase looper, plus a digital delay on top of it for the frippatronics type looping.

Iīve kept my trusty old Jamman for smaller live rigs. I wouldnīt sell it... for longer, pre-recorded loops Iīve got two Emu E4XT btw.

Hmm, I use to have an original Jamman but I sold it, didn't really work for me for some reason. Yeah I will also being doing something similar to your E4xt, but instead I will use the ESX24 samplers in Logic, I did that last year at the Immersion festival and it worked pretty well.

As of now I've kind of stopped looking at hardware and am now looking at software alternatives again. Right now I'm checking out  something called Mobius, which is based upon the EDP, also SooperLooper and Augustusloop. I'm hoping one or more of them will do the trick.

I was curious about the Line6 M13 and M9. Can you use an expresion pedal to volume out each loop?

Great question, I was looking at those as well. Might be a good excuse to go check one out at the music store and see what it does.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
That's why I use the BOSS DD20 pedal : it's not a looper (though it includes one), it's a delay with 23 seconds capacity. That means the "loops" gradually disappear, at a rate the user can control with a knob. Frippertronics style.

Hi Boris,
I enjoyed your live piece.

Yes, just a note about regarding DD20, I use; I'm critic: as  pretty all Boss stuff (maybe with the exception of old DD-x pedals*), I feel these devices "unmusical" and mainly without an intelligent way of control behaviours: DD-20 as frippertronic emulator is not so good ... but what is a bad is the delayed sound quality ... I could define "flat sound" .. a not good compromise between a "digital" and an "analogical" sound ... :(
nevertheless, as usual, you can obtain the best also from the worst, with power of creativity :)

* just the DD-6 have his "personality": you can create good hyper-layered adrifted stuff with high feedback, impossible to realize with the DD-20 ... :(

take care
giorgio

solyaris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 05:46:55 AM »
BTW, concerning Boss stuff... Brian and Adam used some years ago simply a RC-20 (if I well remember);
so that's an example of creatitity and great results, probably no more achieved in future for them...:

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
I love, love the Looperlative LP1.  I heard a new version might be coming out but I don't know much more than that.  It is very intuitive for me and works really nice to create stuff on the fly.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 07:50:59 PM »
I found this today, I will try it this week..looks promising.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
Looks interesting but its windows only, not much use to me.  :(   While you are at it try Mobius, its free, plus it works on both PC and Mac.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Looks interesting but its windows only, not much use to me.  :(

He was demoing using the standalone version. A VST version is available so as long as your host supports it, you're good.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
My mistake, KVR lists it as PC only, I didn't go to their site and see what Prodyon says it is. Thanks for the correction, I'll give it the look over.  :)

Ok, looking more carefully at what Prodyon says it appears to not really work in OSX, you need v-machine. I think that's kind of misleading, and I am not going to spend 600 bucks on a piece of hardware to see if a plug-in might work for me, I might as well get an LP-1 instead as I know that works.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:29:05 AM by LNerell »
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
For those of you with Native Instruments Guitar Rig ... its has a fine recorder/looper built in.
And some excellent effects. Its of course great for feeding synths through as well as guitar.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
Here's an update on what I ended up going with for the show this coming weekend. I ended up using Mainstage for my performance with Logic only for sending midi data to automate things (no audio or VI stuff). As for looping right now I am using a plugin that came with Mainstage called loopback. Its very basic and is really just a phrase looper. I am also using Mobius on one song for more Fripp/Eno style looping, I'm also borrowing my friends Boss delay as a back up.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
Sounds loopy to me. Have a great show!   ;D