Author Topic: Bizarre weather  (Read 1744 times)

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
Bizarre weather
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
The weather is very bizarre.  I am here in Southern California and I am reading about the incredible heat in most of the US and several places around the world.  We are experiencing what is the coolest summer so far that I can remember.  We are in the Inland Empire area (north of San Diego and inland) and normally we are 95-105 everday of the summer.  It has bascially been in the 80s most days and low 60s at night  (Most of Southern California seems to experiencing much, much lower temperatures than normal for summer also).

Weird...

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: Bizarre weather
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »
Probably due to its proximity to La Niņa. Would also explain all the rain in the Midwest.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
(Most of Southern California seems to experiencing much, much lower temperatures than normal for summer also).

Yep, currently the high to day was 72 degrees and it looks like it will cooler this weekend, the high here in Long Beach expected to only reach 69, I'd say we are about 15 degrees cooler then what we normally experience this time of year, not that I am complaining.   :D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
I believe that the northeast US is on track for the hottest summer on record.  Including a couple 100+ days.  My PC needs a bigger fan.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 05:50:47 AM »
the weather is a little unusual here in UK too.

It has gone very autumnal, but much earlier than usual and expected given the late spring - still some blackberries trying to ripen and different species of trees seem to be dropping their leaves in areas only a few miles apart.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
Its a nice Labor Day here in SoCal. Haven't cranked the AC once. We did have a few weeks of hot weather but overall it was more like spring. I remember a summer like this back in the early 70s when it was overcast all summer with about 1 week of sunlight, I was pissed because it was too cold to use the pool.

The nice thing about this weather is the lack of major fires in the surrounding hills. I really hate those!

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
We spent most of last week at Cape May, at the tip of New Jersey. While we were there Hurricanes Danielle and Earle passed by, just offshore.  The weather was great -- temps in the 90s, bright sun all week with some clouds and sprinkles on Friday -- but the water was treacherous.  When the beaches were open (briefly) the life guards had almost non-stop rescues going on, with a couple drownings.  The surf was heavy and rough, and the rip currents were pretty awesome.

My son was very disappointed that we wouldn't let him take his boogie board out.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."