Author Topic: IREZUMI debut CD on my own label (ambient music)  (Read 19399 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: IREZUMI debut CD on my own label (ambient music)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »
It's a fine line between a label promoting the artist and release in a way that excites people - and tripping over the line and saying things like "best artist in the whole universe - stars and planets weep at the magnificent sounds coming from this brilliant young artist".   

Hana - don't worry too much about not speaking English too well - my Korean and French is, well, horrible.  :)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Hana,

Don't be concerned that you may not understand some of Alan's (Undershadow) writings.
I'm English and I don't always follow them !
I think he's working on a new variant of the english language :)

cheers
Pete

I LOL'd!!!   ;D

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
I have to agree... Pete deserves some sort of award for that comment...  ;D   

I always enjoy Alan's writing and posts... but his vocabulary is clearly 9x greater than mine.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
I am looking forward to a new Asmorod release...Hysope is a favorite of mine.

Hana

• View Profile
    • snowblood
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Now you can get our release here on the Hypnos webstore :o

http://www.hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HOS&Product_Code=miscmz23

Thank you very much

HANA

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
Hana-
You can use this slightly shorter version of the web address, to direct people to the very same place, if you like:

http://www.hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=miscmz23

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
Any new thoughts on the Irezumi "Endurance" release? I haven't heard any samples of it yet, but the reviews are very good, especially this one at Tokafi: http://www.tokafi.com/newsitems/cd-feature-irezumi-endurance/. Anyway, I am not really inclined toward the Arctic genre, but this work seems to transcend its' stated subject. I am also a sucker for great graphic design and care in packaging, and Snowblood has it.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
I've had this album for months now, and have been listening to it late nights, on the way to dreamland. Last night I finally headphoned it and gave it a real listen. Judging from the first half of the album (5 of the ten tracks) this could be called masterful. It gives a sense of far exploration and journeying into the unknown. Absolutely beautiful texture and structure, and it feels really engaged somehow, aware of what its doing. Excited to experience the second half.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:08 AM »
Did you read that he quited making music because of illegal downloads in russia?
Such a fool. I am sorry to say that, but what was he expecting? Becoming the
new Steve Roach or what?

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
It's sad to see any artist pack it in.

There's no harm in having high hopes, but you have to be realistic these days - and tenacious.

cheers
Pete

Asmorod

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
Did you read that he quited making music because of illegal downloads in russia?
new Steve Roach or what?

Sorry to say that but I think the fool is rather the one who can't read correctly some sentences on Myspace and write imbecilities on a forum ;D

What is the connection between "illegal downloads in russia" and "becoming the new Steve Roach"  ???

I am not even sure IREZUMI knows who is Steve Roach, he is a techno DJ and is not so interested in ambient. But considering the fact IREZUMI became very popular with just one release, who knows, in 5 years he could have been the new Steve Roach  ;D So I rather think Irezumi is heroic for quitting

Manu stopped IREZUMI partly because of the "ethical" aspect of the filesharing craze around his CD. Do you know the details of what happened? surely not.
Do you know what "ethic" means? It has nothing do to with money or popularity or Steve Roah you know.

That's really strange because I can remember you was not very cool when Hana refused to trade some copies of the fool IREZUMI CDs with some of your CD-R  ;D or when she was not interested in your demo  ;D

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
Such a fool.

It's pretty dishearting to find your music posted all over the internet for free the week after your CD is released, and then to watch your record company struggle to break even. Forget about making a profit, this music is hard enough sell as it is. Personally I think its the person uploading the media who is the real fool.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
new Steve Roach or what?

Sorry to say that but I think the fool is rather the one who can't read correctly some sentences on Myspace and write imbecilities on a forum ;D

What is the connection between "illegal downloads in russia" and "becoming the new Steve Roach"  ???

I am not even sure IREZUMI knows who is Steve Roach, he is a techno DJ and is not so interested in ambient. But considering the fact IREZUMI became very popular with just one release, who knows, in 5 years he could have been the new Steve Roach  ;D So I rather think Irezumi is heroic for quitting

Manu stopped IREZUMI partly because of the "ethical" aspect of the filesharing craze around his CD. Do you know the details of what happened? surely not.
Do you know what "ethic" means? It has nothing do to with money or popularity or Steve Roah you know.

That's really strange because I can remember you was not very cool when Hana refused to trade some copies of the fool IREZUMI CDs with some of your CD-R  ;D or when she was not interested in your demo  ;D
First post here. I see. Seems like my post has bothered you quiet a lot. Thats funny in some Way. I can clear a few things for you.

First of all i have read the whole myspace thread he posted. No Words about the way he wrote it.

Snowblood and I condemn all internet users who take pride and joy in offering my music to download for free and more importantly without the permission of the rights holders.

We are not a a tool used to carve out your own special sense of self.

I am sick of it all so I stop IREZUMI for the moment.
And if i say thats foolish, then i mean foolish. So stop telling me what to think about his decision.
Thats the first thing. The thing with Steve Roach was a joke, because i think he was a bit to
optimistic with his Music. Did he thought that he can become the new Steve Roach with one CD?
Why did he quiet his "Ambient" Project then? Is he making music just in terms of selling cds or
what? And why is the making an Ambient CD, when he is "not so interested" in Ambient Music?
Making Money? No. So tell me why he stopped making music under this alias? Because of illegal
downloads? because people did not give him credit when they illegally downloaded his cd? I dont
get it. I released 5 CDs till now and each and everyone of them is illegally available on the Internet.
Did i quit making Music? no. Want to know why? Because i am passionate about making "my" Music
and i dont care if 10 People buy my CD and 200 download it. So no bad feelings for him.

That's really strange because I can remember you was not very cool when Hana refused to trade some copies of the fool IREZUMI CDs with some of your CD-R  Grin or when she was not interested in your demo  Grin
I dont know whats so funny about trading cd-r's with cds? Now i can see your true colors.
You are one of those elitist people who think that a cd is more worth then a cd-r. I got you.
And i also got Hana. And trust me, i was as polite as it gets and never mentioned a bad word
about either the label or the artists. But i had that impression since i first "met" this label.

[ comment partially deleted by moderator mgriffin ]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:59:25 PM by mgriffin »

Asmorod

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 12:51:36 PM »
First post here. I see. Seems like my post has bothered you quiet a lot. Thats funny in some Way.
HANA don't wanted to send you an answer...

First of all i have read the whole myspace thread he posted
He never posted any thread except a small note that you greatly reinterpreted. Now everyone who wanted to know more about this matter has contacted him directly except... you  ;D

stop telling me what to think about his decision.
You don't even understand his decision man. He said "I am sick of it all so I stop IREZUMI for the moment" - that means he will rather concentrate on his techno stuffs, relax a little bit, then will make more ambient music later. Maybe in a year or so.

I think he was a bit to optimistic with his Music. Did he thought that he can become the new Steve Roach with one CD?
Stop to reinterpret things please. Hana & me were optimistic and that's why we released this CD. What's the problem with that?
+ I just told you he doesnt care about Steve Roach, being famous etcetera... Why are you repeating the same lame argument over & over? I don't understand your problem.

Is he making music just in terms of selling cds or what?
He is techno DJ who recorded a few ambient music and we released these tracks as a whole piece. The same thing happened with Henrik B "Kryoniks". What's wrong with that as far as the music is cool?

I released 5 CDs till now and each and everyone of them is illegally available on the Internet. Did i quit making Music? no. Want to know why? Because i am passionate about making "my" Music and i dont care if 10 People buy my CD and 200 download it. So no bad feelings for him.
Sorry but it's not because you don't care about something that everyone else should think the same as you do  ::)

Did i quit making Music?
He hasn't quit making music, he continues to release techno tunes every month.

Now i can see your true colors.
My true colors is simply that I don't like your stuffs at all so why should I trade with you?

moderated contend
How pathetic to use Hana's private life to justify your anger  :-[ bouhhhouuu it's so little  :o
And it's not even the true facts you was telling about. I think you should stop to reinterpret every things you read man. First IREZUMI, then now HANA. Hey can you keep making your music and leave us alone please?

Now if you want to continue this silly discussion I invite you to write me directly on Myspace and to stop polluting this thread.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:08:39 PM by Asmorod »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »
Right, I'd rather see some of the more contentious and personal stuff here taken to Private Message or email.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
Back on topic, 'Endurance' is a beautiful album, and I enjoy it on an almost daily basis. Check out their myspace page to hear sound clips, but more importantly, buy it. Whatever else, I hope we hear more from this artist again someday.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:59 PM »
My opinion on the matter: musicians and artists are free to do with their skills as they see fit. If you choose to stop making your art, it is your natural right, and you shouldn't be insulted for doing so. I am just happy that such an excellent work, both sonically and in terms of graphic design and packaging, has been issued by Snowblood and Irezumi. It must be quite off-putting to see one's own hard work, time, and money scoffed at by those pirating the music for free. It must feel absurd to go through the trouble of issuing the music in cd form, when many think it is their due to get music for free, as if it's falling from the sky for their personal pleasure. Why not just keep the music for oneself or ones' friends if that is going to be the case? This is especially sad in the case of a release like Endurance, where extra care has gone into the physical product itself.

But I would look on the bright side too: could it be that perhaps, if the quality and uniqueness of the physical product reaches a certain height, will there be a certain segment of people who value that, and will in turn support it by buying the album itself? I don't know, I have often felt that so little care has gone into the physical product of the cd that there almost is no reason to own it, that it would have been better to buy it even cheaper as a download. Still, though, that's no reason to actually steal the music.

Well, whoever is behind Irezumi, your contribution is much appreciated, is considered a classic on my shelf, and wish you well in further musical explorations, in whatever you choose to do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:16:17 PM by 9dragons »

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
But I would look on the bright side too: could it be that perhaps, if the quality and uniqueness of the physical product reaches a certain height, will there be a certain segment of people who value that, and will in turn support it by buying the album itself? I don't know, I have often felt that so little care has gone into the physical product of the cd that there almost is no reason to own it, that it would have been better to buy it even cheaper as a download. Still, though, that's no reason to actually steal the music.

A lot of work went into this CD, as all artists who share their music will tell you. The artwork was indeed beautiful, as is their website. Personally, I still believe in owning(and paying for) a physical product. If I don't grab my iPod before hopping in the car, I can still grab a CD and hit 'play' while driving. It's like a book in that regard, still portable and low-maintenance.

Consider the fact that recordings made back in the early age of vinyl(78's from the 1930's, etc.) are still playable today. Much of this past history would be lost forever if it were just 0's and 1's. I worry sometimes that music made today, especially online-only music, may disappear in a world that considers art in many forms increasingly disposable. All the more reason to appreciate when an artist makes the effort to put together the whole package. I'm old enough to remember the original Dark Side of the Moon with the stickers and posters along with the original album artwork. How often do you see a CD release with that much effort put into it today? If you're creating music that exists only on a computer hard drive, you might be a crash away from losing it irretrievably.

Mozart, Beethoven and Bach created music that will live forever. Where will this music be in 50 years? Will anyone even be able to listen to it? Look at your music collection and ask yourself, 'What would I like my grandchildren to hear from this period?'
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:54:50 PM by Antdude »
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.