Author Topic: Errors on Rudy Adrian "Distant Stars" CD  (Read 5060 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Errors on Rudy Adrian "Distant Stars" CD
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
Some reactions to comments above...

It's not personal.  Don't take it personal.  There was no "personal attack" on the mastering job.  I am only judging something that was put on the market.  

I don't understand how the release ended up in stores without the final product ending up in the label's hands FIRST.  I know Hypnos and other labels receive their releases from the factory, check them out to make sure all OK, and then sell them.  Maybe for future reference this would be a good practice.  

Rudy Adrian's "Moonwater" had some pretty bad glitches as well.  Don't think I ever posted here about that issue, but when it happens again, you do start to wonder about the quality control.  

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »
I don't think their emphasis was that the complaints were personal, but that they were unnecessarily nasty. 
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
Today I received an email (I was "cc'd") from Jeff Kowal to Ben Cox, encouraging Ben not to let the CRYBABIES get him down.  WTF?  ???

Funny, and hypocritical, considering LS cannot seem to handle any criticism and take it like a man.  Nothing's worse for a customer/buyer who gets a defective, broken product than being given a laundry list of excuses, arguments, and "we strive for excellence" sound-byte that means nothing to the person left holding the product that doesn't work, or work properly. 

BTW, if I spent $30k on a brand new Biemer and they "forgot" some stuff, I'd be PISSED!  :o

If you cannot do it properly (mass release music), then you shouldn't do it at all.  And if you want to refer to anyone who complains as a "crybaby," more power to 'ya, but you're probably not gonna go too far in the business world.   :P

Blackinfinity

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
This is a good album, but it need to be remixed the reverb has been used in a very bad way, it sounds like he use too much perhaps 100% wet ?
It just doesn't sound good in my ears...which is very unfortunate..
Anyway...with another reverb algorithms this could sound really good, he should sent it to steve roach for remastring :)

The artwork is really nice as well!

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:11 AM »

Listened to the samples, which I know they won't be properly indicative of the audio quality of the release, on the Spotted Peccary site. I don't know what you're referring to regarding the 'very bad' use of reverb. Could you post some examples of 'very good' use of reverb, to enlighten us with ?

Getting back to the original point. There's some irony here, when a lot of 'glitch-ambient' is full of 'audio errors' (from a technical / mastering point of view) ) and its completely accepted as being part of the music.

Context eh ?

Blackinfinity

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »

Listened to the samples, which I know they won't be properly indicative of the audio quality of the release, on the Spotted Peccary site. I don't know what you're referring to regarding the 'very bad' use of reverb. Could you post some examples of 'very good' use of reverb, to enlighten us with ?

Getting back to the original point. There's some irony here, when a lot of 'glitch-ambient' is full of 'audio errors' (from a technical / mastering point of view) ) and its completely accepted as being part of the music.

Context eh ?

Not sure..the reverb sounds to "compact" and dry..it would sound better with a more airy/open/dimensional reverb. If you let it feed me into my lexicon PCM native I am sure I can get a better sound.
I also suspect the person who did master the cd did use compression..it certainly sounds like it...especially the parts who have lower volume sounds not right...most likely due "compression"
.or maybe he want a more raw old school sound..not sure..I would prefer a more "smooth" sound..but I am not sure about his artistic intentions...something sounds not right From what I remember Rudys last couple of album have sounded better..

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »

Context eh ?

I actually can't stand glitch-ambient, even though I know it's intended. Conditioned response, probably.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
Drone on - I'd be interested in buying that Rudy Adrian disc off ya. PM me if you want to unload it.

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »

Not sure what's going on, but nothing ruins good ambient music for me more than sonic glitches.  And the tracklist misprint just shows real sloppiness.

Nothing spoils music more than improper mastering. And it doesn´t matter what musical style it is.

And, of course, nothing beats a professional attitude towards one´s own work and responsibility.

Stephen
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:18:40 AM by doombient »
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)