Author Topic: Koude Handen  (Read 14672 times)

matthew

Re: Koude Handen
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words about Koude Handen. I can echo the sentiment and would have liked to release on CD also, but I have to add that I love the intimacy of everything that concerns this release. On previous releases there was a hole between sending the master and the actual release date. There was always a fear that somewhere along the process, something might have gone wrong, and the wait to finally receive the disc would be long, but, and I do miss that, it was great to have it in my hands. 

On Koude Handen I did something I usually tell everyone not to do; working on the album the entire last week before release; mornings before going to work, evenings when returning from it. Fine-tuning the sequence and EQ-ing the individual layers. The pause between tracks, the fade times, the mastering, it all affect how the music is experienced and it's always difficult to get that completely right. I got it wrong (in my view) on some of my albums and it takes a lot of listens and preferably a relatively stable environment to make things good enough. I find this to be easier in winter and in that sense the inability to release it earlier has been a blessing, the album is now better than it was in February and that last week before release was certainly cooler than usual for the time of year.

As for "cheating" and putting it on a CD, that's what the 24 bit FLAC file is for! When you convert it to 16 bit and burn it to a CDr you will have as good a copy as I myself could have made on a a CDr. FLAC is a completely lossless format and every single "bit" of the music is still in there. It only compresses the "empty room" much like how compressing text into a zip_file doesn't alter the letters, words or sentences as you unpack it again. It is also an open format which made it a logical choice to use, as converters for most operating systems are freely available.

Thanks again everyone for listening and letting me know!

Blackinfinity

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
The album is good, to me it has a more "cinematic" sound, it would float good with nature pictures etc...
Anyway it is beautiful album..
But I must say Three is still my favorite album, that album has am more subconscious and emotional quality to me.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
I've been enjoying this release, too.  Congratulations, Matthew.  This disc would certainly have been worthy of a formal release.  It's their loss!  I cheated a little and converted this to 16 bit, so that I could hear it on my stereo and my Beyer Dynamic phones.:)

Forrest

I'm wondering what program Forrest or anyone else used to convert the FLAC files to 16bit wav (or tiff) files to burn for CD.
I'm on PC and first tried CD Architect - which did not "see" the FLAC files.
I next tried Sound Forge 9 which opens most of the FLAC files but trying to open the first track's FLAC file always crashes the program immediately.   :(

Blackinfinity

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 07:26:51 AM »

matthew

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html
Will let you download free tools to convert the files, for all possible operating systems. I used the same tools to convert the 24bit WAV files to FLAC.

I am still on Soundforge 8.0 so I cannot open the files (no support) but crashing is not good, I am sorry about that.

I used Winamp (also a free download, though the pro version is really cheap and it helps them develop) for checking and naming the files and the above tools for creating them. iTunes was used to create the mp3 files.

@terraform, thanks for letting me know, glad to read you like it. The cinematic feel is definitely something I experience as well. Some of the removed (unused) tracks might have even hinted stronger at that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:14:18 AM by Matthew Florianz »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Thanks Terraform and Matthew. I'll try one (or both) of these programs.

A question or two for Matthew. Are the 24 bit FLAC files actually smaller than 16 bit .wav files?
If not - why did you choose this format over the CD standard?

matthew

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
Hi Scott,

16bit wav, the album would be roughly 550mb (zipped) so around 150 mb larger than the FLAC download is now. I could have opted to go for 16Bit FLAC and the download would be smaller even.

There are many reasons why I ended up with FLAC and 24bit. It all started with me trying to find an alternative to CD publishing after learning that a release on CD would have taken at least another year. There are channels for on-line publishing (bandcamp, cloud, cdbaby, itunes etc.) and also the good suggestions you made, but given how my music is already being sold on websites and that I have little to no control over that, I wasn't keen to involve a second party.

Once I realized that hosting on my own site was an option (an obvious one, but it took me a while to realize it nonetheless) I no longer saw compromises or having to take a step back from CD, but realized the opportunity. Around that time I asked here if people thought a download was somehow less "valuable" to them, fortunately there wasn't a big backlash against the idea. The realization to host it myself, to give it away, at a much better quality format than CD even, that was like a bolt of energy. It reminded me of all the reasons I started releasing music in the first place. The format/medium had gotten in the way of the music for months.

24Bit is the format in which I make my albums (ever since "three") so given the download route it was a logical step to keep everything in that format. I also happen to love 24bit's sound and it has a warmth to it that 16bit struggles to achieve. Especially for the drone based/dark ambience that always seems to seep into my albums.

As stated before, the reason I choose FLAC is because this seems to be the preferred format for high-def enthusiasts and it has that status in the audio community. It is also an open format so it is easy to get converters for it. I personally converted all my music to apple's lossless format, an equally good choice but unlike FLAC it is not nearly as open and supported.

If there's anything else you'd like to know (or disagree with) let me know!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:47:53 PM by Matthew Florianz »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Scott,

The FLAC frontend Matthew referenced in his next to last post is what I used to decode his release to 16-bit.  I wanted to hear it through my Rotel amp and Beyer Dynamic phones, which was a no-brainer choice when compared with my cheapy desktop speakers.

Forrest

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »
Matthew:

Thanks for the great album.

Fortunately I just purchased a piece of audio gear that supports your files: Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745

The files sound great, and the music is sublime.

Thanks again.

Jim

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:20:37 AM by jimzzzak »

matthew

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48:41 AM »
@jim, glad to read you like it, thank you for letting me know!

The first review of Koude Handen has appeared online:

"... Matthew’s well crafted, soft and smooth textural musings with cinematic
depth never become the least uninteresting despite its length nor its
strong minimal approach and form ..."

http://www.sonicimmersion.org/review.php?letter=F

Thank you Bert Strolenberg of Sonic Immersion.org

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For those interested, I am uploading music that has been cut from Koude Handen to my facebook fan page:
http://www.facebook.com/ambient.environmental.soundscapes

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:27:17 AM by Matthew Florianz »

matthew

Unused music from the album
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Un-used music from my release Koude Handen is now available on my Facebook page which you are more than welcome to join!

I'll link one such track here; a short mood that has a lot of the ideas and textures I started with, such as the lonely piano (at the end) which also appears on the album, the (for me typical) shifts in mood halfway through and the "place" that it tries to paint in sound.

Click to listen to:
Koude Handen - Meadow (unused)

On the facebook page you'll find another more (for me) up-tempo piano track. And if you haven't yet done so, feel free to download Koude Handen from my own webpage in high resolution uncompressed 24bit audio!