Author Topic: Koude Handen  (Read 8045 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: [Matthew Florianz] Announcing new album and a re-release of Maalbeek....free!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
@ffcal, thank you for the kind words. It is indeed a rough market but I have been lucky enough to be able to release 7 compact discs over the last ten years. From the source file you should be able to make a rather good cdr (artwork is going to be included) if you wanted too.

Looking forward to hearing it, Matthew.  Enjoyed your Maalbeek release quite a bit (for me the CD will always be the official version, flac or no flac).  It has real cinematic quality to it, mixed in with a bit of early Vidna Obmana.

Thinking back to days when companies like mp3.com would pay you for plays and downloads seems almost nostalgic, doesn't it?

Just be sure there are no audible muffs in the mastering of your new one, or you're likely to hear from the true believers;)

Forrest

matthew

Re: [Matthew Florianz] Announcing new album and a re-release of Maalbeek....free!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
For me too it is exactly the same, for the same reasons as those mentioned by scottm2.

@forrest, the 2008 compact disc is for me also the release of Maalbeek. The re-release is an exercise, using the same source to create another listening experience. I didn't intend it to be superior, definitive or the only one to listen too. It also isn't supposed to invalidate the compact disc release. To me creating ambient music isn't about telling people what to like, think or agree with so I find it impossible to explain what version is the one you should listen too, and how you should listen to it or even what it means. We're adults and Ambient is an adult genre, even if it relies highly on a childhood developed imagination. Auwch, now it almost sounds as if I am trying to explain it ; )

The re-release was an opportunity. At the time of release, I was so pre-occupied with my work that I took a few decisions towards release too hastily and I have always regretted those. That's not the same as saying they where bad decisions persee, just that I shouldn't have tinkered with the album only days before sending it off to the presses. Any decision takes time to settle before it can be examined to conclude if it was a good decision or not.
In other words, it takes time to know if a decision wasn't made for the sake of making another change, for the sake of staying close to the material. Perhaps the artists on this thread can recognize such a "longing" to keep on working with something? There's a strange sort of comfort in that.
I know that the changes I made aren't as big they might seem, you'd probably only hear it on a side by side comparison. It's an interesting subject though, can you go back to your past work, should you leave it alone? I don't think there's a definitive answer, perhaps just a purist one.

The mere mention of Mp3.com brings back memories indeed. What a great place that was, the first time more people than just my friends heard my music. Also the first time I heard such diverse and interesting music genre's. I was introduced to the sound of DreamState (hello scottm2!), found a kindred spirit in Mindspawn and Darren Scott. He even release my first album; GrijsGebied in 2001 after mp3.com had gone bust. Darren really wanted to release a prior one to that (Sprook) and I think he still regrets not being able to have done that.
When they began paying money for music though, it all imploded. People started spamming everyone, genre's got "stuffed" with tracks by popular artists just to get more hits. I think part of my dislike for getting paid for my work comes from seeing a great place go up in flames. Money ruined everything, it certainly wasn't about music and meeting people any more. And I know I felt corrupted by it too, seeing how easily money could be earned.

Now....I almost dare not ask, but what are audible muffs?

Matthew

ps. next week Friday I'll upload a video called Meinweg, named after one of the albums tracks. It's a series of photographs taken in the nature reserve of the same name located in the south of Holland. The soundtrack consists of a lot of field recordings from the surroundings. The soundtrack also uses layers from the album's track Meinweg.

matthew

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
Instead of making new threads I'll post all updates related to Koude handen here:

You can now read a biography and look at a discography of my work here:
http://www.matthewflorianz.com/biography.html

Matthew

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:33 AM »
Hi Matthew,
Downloaded Maalbeek a few days ago and have listened to it a couple of times. It really is an excellent album, it has some beautiful passages, thank you for putting it up for free download.
I look forward to the release of Koude Handen
Regards
David
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
Perhaps the artists on this thread can recognize such a "longing" to keep on working with something? There's a strange sort of comfort in that.
I know that the changes I made aren't as big they might seem, you'd probably only hear it on a side by side comparison. It's an interesting subject though, can you go back to your past work, should you leave it alone? I don't think there's a definitive answer, perhaps just a purist one.

Yes, I find it hard to let go of my pieces.  I will always find elements there that I want to re-work, even years after the piece is supposedly finished.  I've resisted the temptation to re-work anything that I've actually released, as I think it would dilute the context in which I made the original recordings.  This is the conceptual problem I have in "remixing" anything, unless it is somehow completely transformed.  It's especially difficult not to hear blatant "mistakes" in my older recordings from the 80s.

When they began paying money for music though, it all imploded. People started spamming everyone, genre's got "stuffed" with tracks by popular artists just to get more hits. I think part of my dislike for getting paid for my work comes from seeing a great place go up in flames. Money ruined everything, it certainly wasn't about music and meeting people any more. And I know I felt corrupted by it too, seeing how easily money could be earned.

Now....I almost dare not ask, but what are audible muffs?

I agree, the "pay for play" aspect of mp3.com really got out of hand towards the end, when artists started to game the system.  But I think there are problems with the so-called "golden age" of free music, too.  It devalues what we do, and in a sense it becomes part of that digital static that traverses the internet 24/7.

In the same way, I will always value a personal encounter more than a virtual one.  There is no substitute.

The "audible muffs" comment was my way of commenting on another thread without adding to what seemed to be devolving into a one-person flame war.  No, I haven't heard any audible muffs from you yet;)

Forrest

matthew

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
@ffcal, you put your thoughts into words very eloquently.

There are many truths in what you say.

One considerations I took into account was quite the opposite of going "free" for mass appeal. I am willing to take a bet that some people who can now download my work (and more importantly, perhaps like it too) would have never bought an album of mine. Not so much because they don't buy albums but simply because there was never a way for them to be properly acquainted with my work. If only one such person exists, it will have been worth it to choose this route. And I cannot deny, agreeing with you again, that doing so will have de-evaluated me as an artists. I hope the music can convince people who feel this is a negative development, that it has not been a cheap way to do things.

Would I have rather released on a CD....honestly, before I was a bit depressed about not being able to release on a disc. Could I not have been more patient and awaited a label till 2011 comes round and there are slots again? I am many things but I have never been called patient ; ) This way gives me full control, ironically by abandoning it entirely. My new album (unlike older ones) won't be sold on tens of websites for money, which without legal assistance, has proven near impossible to remove.

This is "just" about the music....not the distribution....not the status of a cd over a cdr...not even collecting....and certainly not to make a point or statement.

This release is just about the music and I haven't felt this excited about a release since "GrijsGebied". I cannot wait to share it!

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Matthew,
I think this has been a great excersise for you to get your music to a wider audience by offering it as a free download. I think you stated earlier in the post that it had been downloaded well over a hundred times on the first day alone, how many Cds did you sell originally? Not as many as the number of downloads most probably. So it has worked, the music has been heard by a wider audience, and this will attract people to the new one. Even people who may not neccessarily like a particular style of ambient would take it because its free and there is no risk, and that might win you new fans, and I hope it does. Like you say it is about the music and getting it heard, so from that point of view I would say it has been successful for you. If you decide to release a CD in the future then hopefully more people would buy it as more people would be familiar with your music due to the free downloads :)
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »
Been out of the Hypnos forum for a while...

It was great to learn of an imminent Matthew Florianz release.  I
have most and probably all of Matthew's CDs.  Being a grumpy old
git I was saddened that the CD is dying, and have largely avoided
the download revolution and when I have bought download albums,
I've transferred these CD-R.

Matthew's web site informs that the 24-bit FLAC requires special
equipment.  What do I need to be able to listen to Koude Handen
at CD quality?  I don't have an mp3 player (apart from on the computer
to listen to samples or the likes of Dreamscape radio).  So is it merely
that I'll have to play the 24-bit FLAC files on the Linux computer with
some supporting player, but not on a traditional CD player?
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

matthew

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »
@phobos, thanks for the kind words. I think you're right in your assumptions and it is indeed an interesting excersise.

To answer your question, I don't have any numbers for Maalbeek except the pre-orders which where around 70. GrijsGebied, my first album, outsold the first pressing of 500 discs in 2002 and it was re-printed to 500 copies in 2003, last I heard it was steadily going towards selling out again. The problem with online distributors that picked up several of my albums is that I don't have any numbers. All album broke-even on release which is a fortunate thing (and I cannot repeat this enough, thank you!) but it didn't help release this one. That's not meant as a complaint, but to illustrate how much the market has changed in the last three years. Ipod and Iphone changed everything.

I love the challenge of this new form though, being forced to leave my comfort zone so to speak.

@drkappa, you'd need a soundcard which supports 24bit audio for one. If your audio card does that (most do these days) a free program like winamp (http://www.winamp.com/) can play the music and probably also burn you a compact disc from the flac files. The reason I worded the text like such is because for the size of one flac download, 6 people can download the mp3 file. It is meant to discourage all but those people that know what the Flac format stands for as the bandwidth for each download needs to be paid for.

You have all my discs? Even those obscure cdr releases then? That's quite a collection indeed, thank you very much for the support! I wish I could offer you something a little more substantial than this solution. Who knows what format a next album will appear on, perhaps a physical once again.

Matthew

matthew

Meinweg
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 06:59:02 AM »
Meinweg

In three weeks time, on the first of October (01.10.2010) I can release my 8th full length album which is called Koude Handen (Cold Hands). Koude Handen will be made available as a free download on http://www.matthewflorianz.com/koudehanden.html.

In the weeks preceding the release, several promotional features are planned. Today the first of such features, a short audio visual presentation, is available on my You Tube channel. The short film is called “meinweg” and it uses photography and sounds captured in the nature park of the same name.

De Meinweg is a Dutch National Park on the German/Dutch border.  An abandoned railroad, overgrown with plants and trees, crosses through it. The railroad was once part of the “Ijzeren Rijn” (The Iron Rhine) and was used to transport coals and goods from Antwerpen (Belgium) to the Ruhrgebiet (Germany). 
Regular listeners of my work will recognize the continued fascination with trains and railroads, visiting this area has been a long time wish. It was certainly inspiring to walk in these woods and  seeing the rails all but disappear in tunnels of dense foliage.

The environment recordings, captured in De Meinweg, have become part of the album sequence. In turn, the soundtrack heard in the film uses elements and layers from album track that is named after the park; “meinweg” it appears towards the beginning of Koude Handen.

I hope this second glimpse of the album falls on good ears, please let me know! Next week the album track “wakker” will be treated similarly, using photographs that where made in December of 2009, around the same time that the music was created. 

Matthew

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
Re: [Matthew Florianz] Koude Handen pre-release promotion ~ "meinweg" video
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »
Hi Matthew.
I just had a listen to the meinweg Video and - as expected - I liked it a lot. Very nice combination of field recordings and drones.
Looking forward to the album now.

matthew

Re: [Matthew Florianz] Koude Handen pre-release promotion ~ "meinweg" video
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »
@False Mirror: Glad to hear you liked it! Thanks for letting me know!

Wakker (awake) is the second track on Koude Handen and while working on it over the last days of 2009, I took photographs which inspired a somewhat different direction for the track on the album.

Several months later, the music from the album in turn inspired this collage of photographs. The music and sounds on the video are from the track Wakker on Koude Handen, though the music sounds completeness different on the album as the video required a softer, less busy approach.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:35:10 AM by Matthew Florianz »

matthew

Koude Handen ~ Released!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
Koude Handen is now available for download!

Download the album here:
http://www.matthewflorianz.com/koudehanden.html
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:49:26 AM by Matthew Florianz »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Koude Handen
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 07:11:25 AM »
I think this is a very accomplished work Matthew. Evocative, imaginative and
subtle, it works on lots of different levels, tonally and dynamically.

cheers
Pete
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:41:25 AM by petekelly »

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »
m

i echo pete

and pete “ion” is a glassine transport

thanks to you both for your creations      h

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
I also had a first listen right now and I really like it very much, great to hear how the piano integrates into the music.
It sounds like been recorded on a foggy October morning next to a river.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
I'm still digesting this release, but I have to say I'm really entranced by it. It has a great deal of movement, while still being very relaxing. The sounds are very evocative and the progression of the album really makes me feel like a part of some great geological drama. One of the best albums I've heard this year.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:31 AM »
I am yet again unsure which I should download, is the 24 bit the final master ?
or then untouched unmastered/raw master as last time ?
I want the final master of course...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:38:11 AM by Terraform »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 10:24:15 PM »
I've been enjoying this release, too.  Congratulations, Matthew.  This disc would certainly have been worthy of a formal release.  It's their loss!  I cheated a little and converted this to 16 bit, so that I could hear it on my stereo and my Beyer Dynamic phones.:)

Forrest

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
Matthew,
this is a superb release. I agree with ffcal above, should be on CD. On the other hand at least it is "out there" and getting attention.
Well done :)