Author Topic: Andrew Lahiff  (Read 2703 times)

Blackinfinity

Andrew Lahiff
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »
Andrew Lahiff was a really good find!
He have released quite many albums.

Fans of Thom Brennan, steve roach and vir unis should like this.

Blackinfinity

Re: Andrew Lahiff
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
one of my favorite albums with him.

http://www.andrewlahiff.com/albums/perpetual.html

He also have a few albums availble for free download on last.fm
Unfortunately they are in 128kbs... which is tragic..cause that type compression
is very destructive to the sound.

One of the better free download albums.
http://www.andrewlahiff.com/albums/tracing.html

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
Andrew Lahiff was a really good find!
He have released quite many albums.

Fans of Thom Brennan, steve roach and vir unis should like this.

Absolutely agreeŚ*criminally* underrated (and underrecognized) composer. I'd been keeping up with him, but wasn't aware he had released so many new recordings in the past year or so...just went ahead and purchased his most recent 5 as CDs for only $7 each, which is a steal, and more than worth it. All of his work courts deep atmospheric ambient drift, with forays into 'classic' space music as well. Most recommended.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
Hi friends,

greetings from Slovakia!!! I totally agree with all previous lines, Andrew Lahiff is absolutely underrated artist, who deserves much more attention from us. I have no idea why his CDs were not released officially by some label, this remains a mystery to me, but maybe this is Andrew's decision to make it this way. Anyway, his 10 CDs are available through Audiolife.com, highly recommended and yes, 7,00 USD per CD is a steal!!! I just ordered last two "Shapes In Clouds" and "Cosmic Archeology", but I had quite big problems with Audiolife's online ordering system. I did my two orders by e-mailing their Customer Service. Did any of you had the same troubles when using their online ordering system? Their Customer Service and Tech Team tried to fix it, but it never worked in my case. Anyway, the music of Andrew Lahiff was a really nice discovery for me too!!! Enjoy his soundworlds too!!!

With friendly greetings, Richard (Bratislava, Slovakia)

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 05:47:30 AM »
Apparently there's a sudden groundswell of people discovering Andrew! I only caught on to him lately, too, and will be looking into more of his stuff. I put one of his tracks from "Shapes in Clouds" on my upcoming podcast.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:48 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Since I love Thom Brennan's music I'll definitely try out Andrew Lahiff's. 7$ per CD is unbeatable, even if it's CDR-s, and I think they are...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »
REALLY??? I don't know, I played through the samples on his website and my reaction is "yawn"...like the covers artwork though!

Blackinfinity

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:06:36 AM »
I think...samples..might often give a wrong impression...Als I Notice the samples on the webside are very low quality...
Just as his last.fm album , I did email him about it... cause 128kbps sounds like crap... Hopefully he will upload to http://www.archive.org/

Actually the best way to perceive ambient music for me is always in an dark room, in bed with closed eyes... at least for me..
this puts me in a different world.  You do not get the same deep experience when you are multi-tasking in front of the computer.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »
Andrew told me in the next few weeks he will make his albums downloadable in much higher quality.  Hopefully for free.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »

From what I've heard, he is under-rated - Quality work.

It seems some artists are a bit 'quieter' when it comes to self promotion :)

Blackinfinity

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
Andew did follow my advice.

"Tracing Memories of the Silent Earth, Shapes in Clouds and Cosmic Archeology are now available from archive.org as 320 kbps MP3s. A collection of tracks known as Emerging Signals from 2006 are also now available as 320 kbps MP3"

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Andrew+Lahiff%22

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:29:07 AM by Terraform »

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:56 AM »
I had earlier posted a note regarding my recent dealings w/Audiolife, the disc manufacturing 'company' who publish Andrew Lahiff's CDs. My complaint was the fact I did not receive my order, and all communication to Audiolife went unacknowledged.

Turns out that today, I *finally* received the order in question (after a nearly 30 day wait, and they supposedly operate out of California), and advised Andrew accordingly, but I would still approach using their services with caution.

Regardless, I'm glad to have Andrew's new releases in my possession, and look forward to investigating them further.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:49:45 AM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

Alderich Mansel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Andew did follow my advice.

"Tracing Memories of the Silent Earth, Shapes in Clouds and Cosmic Archeology are now available from archive.org as 320 kbps MP3s. A collection of tracks known as Emerging Signals from 2006 are also now available as 320 kbps MP3"

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Andrew+Lahiff%22

This is great news. I've been a huge fan of his for years. Now it's all preserved forever, or at least as close to forever as you can get on the Internet.

AM

Blackinfinity

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:14 AM »
New album has been added on archive.org  "Fading Motionless Nights" have not heard it yet...

Blackinfinity

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »
His new album  "Six Trees in the Colony" is now available for free at archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/SixTreesInTheColony

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:44:26 AM by Terraform »

Blackinfinity

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:48 AM »
have been listening to it twice now...it is a quite weak release I must admit.
But I can also admit there is a few good tracks also on the albums..but way too many fillers.