Author Topic: Audio Centaur and Viatorium Press  (Read 2324 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Audio Centaur and Viatorium Press
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
I've got a fledgling label going, under the rubric of Audio Centaur, in addition to graphic and print acitivities as Viatorium Press. I encourage everyone interested in paper, letterpress, and traditional graphics, to check it out:

http://viatoriumpress.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking, feel free to comment or critique the work.

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
Re: Audio Centaur and Viatorium Press
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »
Stunning artwork!!
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »
Yes, gorgeous looking prints and paper textures.

Nice presentation of them on web site too.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
Truly beautiful and amazing!  I'm very impressed, 9dragons.  Did you do the letterpress work yourself?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SequenceC

• Gliese 614 & Llunstorcarnay
    • View Profile
    • Gliese 614 & Llunstorcarnay
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
Beautiful artwork

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
Truly beautiful and amazing!  I'm very impressed, 9dragons.  Did you do the letterpress work yourself?

Thanks Mike, and thanks everybody for your kind comments. Yes, all the letterpress work was printed by me using an old Vandercook 4 proof press. The Symmetria album was letterpressed by Stumptown Printers, in Portland. I am still marvelling at the fine work they did.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
I've been thinking about taking a letterpress printing class offered at a place not far from here.  I'd love to be able to take a different direction like that with hand-made, artisan-quality packaging and inserts for Hypnos CDs.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
I just got my cd's today from Joseph and WOW what an impressive work of art this is. The pictures on the website are good , but to hold this in your hands and spend some time looking at all the pieces is amazing. Great job Joseph! This reminds me of the double fold albums of the old days where I would get a new release and spend the afternoon listening and looking at all the details of the art. I am just starting to listen to the music which sounds good so far. More on that after I have listened to it a few times. Just the packaging on this makes it well worth the low price. I wish more cd's came with this attention to detail on the packaging.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
This reminds me of the double fold albums of the old days where I would get a new release and spend the afternoon listening and looking at all the details of the art.

That is music to my ears. Thanks for the kind words, Harry. Feedback on the music will be most welcome...

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
I've been thinking about taking a letterpress printing class offered at a place not far from here.  I'd love to be able to take a different direction like that with hand-made, artisan-quality packaging and inserts for Hypnos CDs.

Mike, I highly recommend getting into letterpress as a solution for packaging. A Hypnos album packaged letterpress would be a great thing. It also can be fairly cheap to produce if you have access to a studio via classes. Fine paper tends to be the most expensive thing, but oh is it worth it. I would also recommend paying a visit to the great people at Stumptown printers. They'd probably give you a mini tour of their operations. Those guys are great.

And let me know if you have any letterpress questions, I'd be more than happy to share what I've learned so far. And I'm also curious to know the name of the school you mentioned.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »
Looks great :)

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »
I have had a little time now to listen to Symmetria and must say I find it very enjoyable. Steve Uccello is a bassist who plays acoustic and electric bass as well as guitars, flutes, mandolin, dobro, keyboards and percussion among others on this release. He blends a broad range of styles including jazz, ambient, folk, new age, and rock without being distracting. The music breaths and flows smoothly making it ideal for late night , low light listening. Happily for me, there are parts of this that remind me very much of Islands period Jade Warrior except with the bass of Dave Sturt of later incarnations of the band. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the artwork and packaging of this cd are by brother Joseph Uccello. All in all a great package. I highly recommend this to all ambient music fans.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
Mike, I highly recommend getting into letterpress as a solution for packaging. A Hypnos album packaged letterpress would be a great thing. It also can be fairly cheap to produce if you have access to a studio via classes. Fine paper tends to be the most expensive thing, but oh is it worth it. I would also recommend paying a visit to the great people at Stumptown printers. They'd probably give you a mini tour of their operations. Those guys are great.

And let me know if you have any letterpress questions, I'd be more than happy to share what I've learned so far. And I'm also curious to know the name of the school you mentioned.

The place I'm talking about isn't exactly a school, but they have classes.  Also my understanding is that once you've taken the classes, you can use equipment (not just letterpress but all kinds of stuff) for small fees.

http://www.iprc.org/

It's something I'd like to try soon, at least for a one-off special, limited release, and see how it goes.  I've always been interested in book arts, zines, chapbooks and so on, and I can see all kinds of possibilities with a merging-together of letterpress, screenprint, offset, and even laser-printed elements.

It seems to me a great way to create a unique piece of art to accompany each CD, and more people might consider the CD worth getting (as compared to a download) if it came in something nicer than a jewel case with a standard booklet.  In the interim we're doing digipaks, but I'll have to investigate these other options.

I've communicated a little with Stumptown, and received their catalog.  Apparently they do great work, but their prices for printing services are pretty high.  My understanding is that they're very much in demand, and not at all hurting for jobs.