Author Topic: if you could afford a new piece of equipment, what would it be?  (Read 11686 times)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: if you could afford a new piece of equipment, what would it be?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
I'm with you Mark, the Voyager is one of my main pieces of kit and is amazing at ambient sounds and textures.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
Maybe it's a regional thing... I know a few people with Moogs and they all complain about it just not fitting in very well with their music. That's cool it works for you guys. I was planning on incorporating the Moog on some tracks for my next release as subtle bass lines so maybe it will work this time for me.

Doesn the Voyager have a few more bells and whistles too? Maybe the added X-Y pad and effects and patch recall help find the right sound better than my Model-D. At least you can tweak and bring up previous programs. That would be nice.

Do either of you guys have some audio of an ambient piece you've done with the Moog? I'd really like to hear that.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:22 AM »
ah - always a fun thing!

First off - my studio is too small to add the things I'd truly want... so let's push that wall out a bit, or just get a new place to live, preferably a condo arrangement where we no longer have to deal with mowing the lawn and such, and have extra super thick walls for sound proofing.

OK - grand piano.  It's a dream I'll likely never realize, and I love my Yamaha euro-style upright... but we're dreaming here...

A selection of microphones and whatever hardware I need to make those puppies sound good.

I'd love a drum set or an electric set -not sure which.  And definitely a handsonic or something like that.

Let's expand my synthesizers.com modular from 22 to 66 space - (88 might be too hard to actually "use").  probably not all synthesizers.com modules - some 3rd party modules tossed in.   

one heck of a beefy mac to record with and for softsynths.

a tube bass amp - a decent guitar amp.

and a decent guitar.

and whatever desk / storage / racks / etc. needed to make it all be nice, tidy, and easy to access.

I don't want much...
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Blackinfinity

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »
I strongly disagree.. new gear is always inspiration...it also makes it possible to realize your sound visions...
Sure it comes to a point of course...when you have everything you need...however...personally I am far far away from it.
And the gear you use also mirrors the outcome and the sound itself... so to have the gear that realize your visions is essential I think...
Also gear that gives you inspiration to create.

I think there is truth on both sides. New gear is almost always inspiring, but its what happens when the honeymoon period is over that matters. Do you still feel inspired by that gear to make great music and sounds? Should gear really inspire us at all?

Just like you can put any guitar in the hands of a great guitarist and the end result will always sound like them, it is much the same with synths and effects, if you give any synth or any reverb unit to many of the top tier electronic music guys, they will still create something that has their signature sound.

Cool high end gear should make your creative process and work flow smoother and more rewarding beyond initial inspiration.

I have only 4 synths in my collection, and pretty much have only 2 soft synths that I actaully consider using and between those 6...I have probably only just scratched the surface of what they can do. So I would say dig in and really learn the gear you have before moving on to more.

I actually sell any piece of gear that sits unused in my studio for six months. I want gear that I use on every session within reason.

Paul

I think perhaps you generalize too much and you might have a too "rational" perspective..and you seem to forget the whole emotional aspect....,we should also consider we all are different...and of course gear should inspire us..without the gear we would be nothing...music as we know it would not exist...they are the gateway to realize our musical dreams...I think you forget the whole emotional dimension of it all, some people get an emotional connection with the instrument or with certain gear..I think this emotional connection is very important as well..even though it can seem to stupid to buy this and that for such much money... but if you have this emotional connection with your gear or instruments..it will certainly inspire you to create...
And to some people never loose this emotional connection with their instrument...the minimoog is a good example... there is plenty of people around the world who would not be able to live without it...and have a very deep relationship with it...I think it is harder to get this kind of relationship with software tools...I think that is one of things I like with hardware gear...

Especially in these days it gets easier and easier to replicate the sound of hardware with software... but it is harder to get this emotional "bound" with the tools in software...so you could think
it is certainly not "rational" to buy expensive hardware at all but...the emotional connection you get with hardware gear  is also not to be underestimated...even though a lot of people will laugh of you that you buy expensive hardware which can be done with a fraction of the price with software...

However...in terms of electronic gear, I find it much harder to find this emotional connection with newer gear...I easier find this with old school gear...for newer gear
software with midi controller could work just as good...and you just the pure sound itself inspire you...

Blackinfinity

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
I love my Andromeda. I have yet to use it in a recording though.  

That new Moog is already being bashed for its $5,000 price tag and still monophonic.  I can understand.  The truth is the Moog is sort of a one trick pony.  What it does, it does well - I have a Model D - but it's not a very good synth for ambient, IMO.

Perhaps try to add some more reverb :)
Eventhough Minimoog is probably one of the few synths I know that
sounds good without effects also.
Anyway...of course really depends on what kind of ambient you want..Personally
I would use it for more berlin school type of music..

I'd like a Manly Massive Passive and I sure as hell wish I'd gotten in on the new Solaris synth when it was first offered.  The initial buyers are getting one heck of a deal - of course it's been 3+ years or something since its initial announcement, but I'd love one of those but not at the current price tag.  My friend (the one who doesn't play with the Xpander and will probably barely touch the Solaris) has a custom one coming from the first batch and I think he paid something like $1400.  Solaris is way more now for a non-custom one.

Solaris is a beautiful name of synth, they have also been doing good market campaigns for the synth, everything about Solaris seem to be good, besides the sound it self...from what I have heard it
is very overhyped...It does not sound good at all...[/quote]

I'm sort of interested in a used Dave Smith Prophet 08 and/or PolyEvolver.  I traded my desktop Evolver for a Blofeld and quickly sold the Blofeld.  The Blofeld sounded and operated great but it was redundant since I have the Q, uQ, and XT.

I think most people agree that the Prophet 8 was an overhyped failure. while on the surface it can look really good, it is still not an Prophet 5, you can read on any forums, it is actually hard to find any positive feedback on the Prophet 8
at all, the general complain is the sound..and it is not worth the price..but I can agree it looks very nice on the surface...

I would with out doubt use my money on an Andromeda, the only thing bad about it, is it is hard to use and program, I wish..there would be an software editor for it...
Otherwise it seem to be hard to find anything that can compete with the Andromeda in terms of complexity and sound..It would the Oberheim Matrix 12/Xpander then, or Waldorf q/wave.

Why you where not satisfied with your Oberheim..not sure why..but All I know is...Steve Roach use a long Effect chain...if you would hear his recordings dry without effects and big long reverbs it would not
sound very exciting for sure... That is the difference between the old analog synth, you can make it sound amazing if you add additional external effects... high end reverb and sound processing..
Older analog synth simply sound better without effects, newer synths often use a lot of built in effects to mask how cheap and digital it sounds...this is why you in many cases want an analog synth with external effects/sound processing..

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:12:50 AM by Terraform »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
I think Jesse knows well enough how to use synthesizers, as well as how to add effects.  Some people just prefer one instrument versus another, for example I myself have never found a use for analog monosynths, though I know others love them.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »
I'd probably get another repeater and perhaps a simple analog polysynth with lots of knobs/sliders like a juno-60 or ax-60

Blackinfinity

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
I think Jesse knows well enough how to use synthesizers, as well as how to add effects.  Some people just prefer one instrument versus another, for example I myself have never found a use for analog monosynths, though I know others love them.

Yes..of course I am sure he does..yes..we all have our own taste...of course...personally it is one of my life dreams to own an Oberheim Matrix 12 or xpander. But for each year that
goes by the more prices go up..and gets harder to find..especially if you also want it in a working condition..
But I would really prefer the matrix 12, cause I have heard that it sounds a lot better and fatter... but I am sure the Xpander sounds good enough though, steve use(ed) them.

For the music you create...I think monosynths of this kind of would really not be needed no...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:34:26 AM by Terraform »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
Speaking of analog monosynths, is the original Roland SH-101 still a hot property?  At one point (90s analog mania) somebody offered me $800 for mine and for some reason, I turned him down.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Blackinfinity

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
Speaking of analog monosynths, is the original Roland SH-101 still a hot property?  At one point (90s analog mania) somebody offered me $800 for mine and for some reason, I turned him down.

I assume..you will not get less today..considering almost no new analog synths is being made these days..I see it gets listed for $950+ on ebay....

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
Hmm, thats funny I love my prophet 8 and am not a huge fan of the Andromeda, and I have spent time playing it.

The P-8 sounds amazing and to get a full 8 note analog at this price is unheard of. No its not a Prophet 5, nor is it meant to be. One needs to take time with it, like any instrument and get past its presets. I know quite  few folks who have P-8's and love them.

You will find that many forums on gear (especially say Gear Slutz or some of the prominant synth forums) are built up of folks who base their opinions on others opinions, many of whom have never owned, operated or dug into the gear they are either praising or bashing. I will say it again, and generalized or not, a person really needs to spend time with and invest in a piece of gear before they will really get something great out of it.

Albums and jams that are built up solely of initial burst of inspiration and initial wow factors, only go so far.

Also while it is human nature to want to own or use a piece of gear our heroes own, its pretty rare that you will achieve their sound with it.

Paul

"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Blackinfinity

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
Hmm, thats funny I love my prophet 8 and am not a huge fan of the Andromeda, and I have spent time playing it.

The P-8 sounds amazing and to get a full 8 note analog at this price is unheard of. No its not a Prophet 5, nor is it meant to be. One needs to take time with it, like any instrument and get past its presets. I know quite  few folks who have P-8's and love them.

You will find that many forums on gear (especially say Gear Slutz or some of the prominant synth forums) are built up of folks who base their opinions on others opinions, many of whom have never owned, operated or dug into the gear they are either praising or bashing. I will say it again, and generalized or not, a person really needs to spend time with and invest in a piece of gear before they will really get something great out of it.

Albums and jams that are built up solely of initial burst of inspiration and initial wow factors, only go so far.

Also while it is human nature to want to own or use a piece of gear our heroes own, its pretty rare that you will achieve their sound with it.

Paul

Well, you certainly seem to be in the minority :)
I have heard it myself..and was surprised of thin it did sound...
Well the only thing that really matter is that YOU are satisfied...we all have different needs and tastes...Personally I strongly prefer the sound of the Andromeda and the fact
it has more possibilities and sound better...but yeah...they sound very different to each other..so it is not strange..if you prefer the P-8.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
Well, I've been buying up a storm of late, but its nothing that you would call really interesting here. Just stands and stuff for my up coming show. About the only big piece of gear I would like to add to my studio is a new Mac Pro computer, personally I think I have too much gear as it is so I'm not really lusting big time after anything at the moment.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »
re: my comments on the miniMoog - bear in mind that the Model D has a very basic modulation option, and I can't get any really "weird" sounds out of the Moog.  It IS intended primarily as a lead bass synth and not a modular system.  Also, I agree, that for sequencer style or Berlin School stuff it's perfect.  Also good for industrial, etc.  Now, as I mention, the Voyager may provide you with more bells and whistles.  I don't know - does it?  Can you perform more modulation sources/destinations than the D?  The only modulation based sounds that are useble on the D are stuff like helicoper sounds, ray-guns, some scrambley white noise, etc, but nothing really "glurpy" - and keep in mind I've been playing with the Model D for about 30 years so I do have a little experience with it.  Pumping it thru effects is a different story and yes I've done that to great "effect" but by the time I get any "weird" or other more interesting sounds from that sort of signal chain it no longer sounds like a Mini - and I want to HEAR a Mini if someone's playing it.

re: Solaris: I agree - the specs look great but it, so far, has not impressed me with the few sound demos I've heard.

re: DSI P08: There is indeed a lot of P08 bashing on Gearslutz.  I have to say though that I love almost every YouTube demo I've seen/heard.  I would agree that the filters don't sound as aggressive as some say but I still like what I hear.  It sounds realllllly smooth to my ears - and I think more people want in-your-face with analog.

re: A6 programming: It's not bad at all to program the A6.  Mod sources have buttons next to all the areas of the synth, menu diving is fairly painless... plus with all those knobs at your fingertips it's pretty easy to tweak a sound into something new.

re: Xpander: Just a correction for people who may not know, the Xpander is not a monosynth. I know Roach pumps it thru effects and verb and without a doubt he's mastered the Xpander to obtain great stuff.  It just didn't excite me and make me happy - and yes, I used lots of effects. Oh and when it comes to programming, the Xpander is a PAIN in the ARSE compared to the A6 by far.

Admittedly, I obtained the Xpander about the time I bought an Access Virus C and I LOVE the C.  It blew the Xpander away - I know, it's blasphemous to say a digital synth trumped the Oberheim, but it does. To me.  Again, I reiterate, I WOULD like an Xpander again some day if I can afford it but it's just not a priority.

Oh and keep in mind these things are aging.  WHen I bought mine, 10 years ago, the seller never told me it wasn't working properly.  All the caps needed replacing.  The thing to note about this is that I'd get "pass" on all the voice tests even though it was clearly not working right... so, point is you're taking a risk on those older machines - although replacing the caps was fairly painless.

I still to this day have yet to try out a softsynth.  I don't even know how to use one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:05:55 PM by Numina »

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
I still to this day have yet to try out a softsynth.  I don't even know how to use one.

I've never really jumped into softsynths either before my 6 year hiatus from recording - when I came back in July this year - I had purchased an iMac and Logic Studio...  Wow!  There are some really nice sounds in Logic Studio - and I'll definitely be using a blend of my more or less signature sounds from my rack of synths and bass, piano, and trumpet.   

Have I really figured Logic out and what it can do... yikes... no.  I'm a newbie and will be for a long long time.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »
Oh and keep in mind these things are aging.  WHen I bought mine, 10 years ago, the seller never told me it wasn't working properly.  All the caps needed replacing.  The thing to note about this is that I'd get "pass" on all the voice tests even though it was clearly not working right... so, point is you're taking a risk on those older machines - although replacing the caps was fairly painless.

Just to be fair, I think it should be pointed out that just about anything of the same vintage of an Xpander will probably need to be recapped sooner rather then later, and your Xpander Jesse needing capping has nothing to do with the fact that I helped build them.  ;D Also, the A6 maybe be easier to program then an Xpander, but I wouldn't call the Xpander a royal pain to program, at least compared to other synths of that era, like the Matrix 6 or Yamah DX7 to name two.

As for Gearslutz bashing the Prophet 08 (not Prophert 8 as that was another synth all together), a lot of people over there also hate my OBMx, which is fine by me as that will probably mean prices will stay low so I might be able to pick up a few extra voice cards for mine in the future at a decent price.  :P
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »
I'd actually like to have someone teach me how to setup and record softsynth stuff. I'm at a point where I just do not have the patience or money to deal with softsynths on a trial and error from scratch basis. Plus, to be honest, aside from programs like Omnisphere and Absynth, I haven't heard anything I can't do on my hardware and with better sound. Not a knock against you softsynths folks because I do like some of the stuff I hear - for instance Between Interval is/was 100% softsynths and his stuff sounds amazing!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:40:07 PM by Numina »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
I'd actually like to have someone teach me how to setup and record flsoftsynth stuff. I'm at a point where I just do not have the patience or money to deal with softsynths on a trial and error from scratch basis. Plus, to be honest, aside from programs like Omnisphere and Absynth, I haven't heard anything I can't do on my hardware and with better sound. Not a knock against you softsynths folks because I do like some of the stuff I hear - for instance Between Interval is/was 100% softsynths and his stuff sounds amazing!

I use a mix of soft and hardware for synths, but with a considerable lean towards software these days in effects.

Omnisphere and Absynth are remarkable sounding and extremely flexible examples of what software synths can be and do.

But I do think one of the main virtues of software is the ease of routing possibilities. Of using synth/effect chains (of any complexity, cpu dependent) that you can save as presets and recall as needed. So you could create a patch that uses, for example, Omnisphere and Absynth, each feeding into their own vst effects, and perhaps driven by some gating module or sequencer, and which can be saved as one preset. The possibilities are endless and rich. Its a neat way of generating complex sounds that just one synth is just not going to do. And its relatively easy to set this up and recall it later.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
Loren - the key phrase there being "of that era" - ok ok, calling it a PITA was a bit strong but it just seemed difficult having just a little LED dot indicating modulation was being used... among a few other things.... look, I'm probably subconciously trying to convince myself it's an inferior aging synth only because I sold mine for $1500 and can't get one for under $2500 now (although one lucky bastard got one on eBay for ~$1600 recently).

APK - what sort of computer specs are you using with Omnisphere and Absynth and plugins and stuff? I agree that flexibility rules the roost with softsynths by far compared to most (perhaps all) hardware.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
By the way, Loren, did you scribble "Loren was here" in all the Xpanders you touched like mine had!?!? :D