Author Topic: if you could afford a new piece of equipment, what would it be?  (Read 11682 times)

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
Re: if you could afford a new piece of equipment, what would it be?
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
Hi Jesse,
I use Cubase, you do need a DAW for any serious work with VST stuff, but as a tryout you could use a reaaly nice and simple program called VST HOST which does exactly what is says, it will host a softsynth, actually quite a few, and even has a virtual keyboard built in enabling you to play the keyboard with the mouse, of course you have the option to configure it with a controller if you so wish but that would require usb to midi interface. VST HOST is free to download. You can get it here - http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm.

I actually used that programme to run the softsynths and effects for my Darkness Within album, the laptop running VST HOST was controlled by my beloved Atari 1040ST. I have now moved onto the laptop completely using Cubase to control my Hardware stuff and the Software stuff to. Sorry if I have gone a little off topic here, but I hope you find this useful. I am by no means an expert but if you need some help then you are welcome to PM me and I will try to help if I can. :)
Regards
David
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  Yeah, I'm running on an old Carillon rack-mount system.  It's fairly solid, but there are limitations for sure.  It's a 2.4 ghz speed, with 1gb RAM Pentium 4.  What would be nice is if I could gut the thing and put in new boards but it's a rack-mount box and I'm not certain if it's able to accommodate newer boards.

I literally have never tried a VST synth other than attempting to get the TI software to work.  I just gave up on it all.  It overwhelms me and I have no one close to me to bounce this stuff off of really.  

Yeah, I have a C-XL rack (the single space rack that apparently no one likes but me) and a TI2 Polar.  The TI2 Polar was an upgrade from the TI1 61-key when, at one point earlier this year, I was asked and took serious steps to play synths on a tour with a Projekt label band, but as exciting as it was I had to back out as my health is just no way able to keep up with any sort of rock and roll lifestyle... as it turns out the band was completely overworked and I would never have made it.  I thought maybe a gig every other night might work ok for me but they did several shows, a few hours sleep, driving, set up, another show, etc.  It would've killed me.  Plus I live about 50 miles away on the other side of town than the main band member and practice would have been a royal pain to drive 100 miles round trip a few times a week. The TI2 was going to be part of my rig due to its size and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:05:48 PM by Numina »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
Jesse, touring musicians much less healthy than you have managed just fine on cocaine and Jack Daniels for a lonnnnnng time!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
Jesse, touring musicians much less healthy than you have managed just fine on cocaine and Jack Daniels for a lonnnnnng time!

Ah hell, I do that on a nightly basis... now just where is my coke?  Oh no... the cops... the cops are gonna find it man... I gotta get outta here... I hear something, what's that?  Oh it's just my dog licking my leg... OH MY GOD, my dog is licking my leg... what?  Hey, Dave's not here man... paranoia setting in...!

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
So I d/l'd that VSThost program and already playing around with dome VSTs.  I guess it's not entirely difficult.  I'm running this on my "internet" computer (I have a separate PC for surfing than my old recording machine).  What is kinda neat is to be able to record in wav format so while I am just playing notes on the virtual piano keys with my trackball I can, at least, save a wav of an interesting sound and then import it into my V-Synth GT for more tweaking and recording.... which is what I'm gonna do.

That said, I would like to upgrade anyway.  Maybe I should just go into debt for a more powerful machine.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
I would advocate, if possible, separate machines for running virtual instruments, and for recording digital multitrack.  You can do it all one one machine if you have a ton of RAM, fast hard drives and fast processors, but separating functions is a great way to make use of less-powerful machines.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Chad Kettering

• View Profile
    • Music of Chad Kettering
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 08:04:04 AM »
Jesse,

A solid running DAW takes a lot of research and careful planning based on what DAW software you intend to use. Send me an e-mail if you need some guidance and help. The land of computers is a treacherous one!!!

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Chad - thanks! Will drop you a line when I'm in the market!

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »
Heres a couple of items I have my eye on

Thermionic Culture Vulture Valve Distortion

Thermionic Culture Rooster

I have been looking for an eq thats not surgical but will add, pull out or simply give a certain something and is straight forward to use so I can flip a switch and turn a knob and get on with writing the music..... The Clariphonic Eq sounds like it does that. IF you are curious you can get an idea from this link http://www.kushaudio.com/kush/clariphonic/Clariphonic_1_-_Better_Mixes.mov

Also want to put some character and color into my simple recording chain, always loved tubes and these Thermonic Culture pieces should do just that, that is if I had the cash or better yet when I do!

Interesting comments about the Matrix 12/Xpander.......I have had my M12 for about  8 months and it is just one of the most amazing synths I have worked with. I did not know how organic sounding it could be.....I know, define organic! It is not easy when it comes to sound. The M12 has a multi patch mode where you can load up 12 individual single patches/voice, the xpander has 6, for me this is where it really gets exciting and fun.  So you program 12 0r 6 single patches and randomly load them into the multi.....the depth of sound than comes from this board in multi mode is like nothing I have heard before.  Today this multi patch layering is nothing special, my Andromeda can do it so can my Virus TI, but its not the same.

Actually my Andromeda has not be turned on since the M12 came into the studio, and most likely will be sold, its also fair to say I have had a love-hate relationship with the A6 over the 6 + yrs I have owned it.  For me it was not the sound of the Andromeda but the way of programming it that was the problem.  It would take me a good while to get something I liked out of it, not because Im a bad programmer, I know what Im doing......actually knowing what your doing doesnt necessarily make you good as well ;)  Im not trying to trash the Andromeda nor compared it to the M12, they are very different and the Andromeda has given my some astonishing patches over the years,  its just the A6 interface gets in the way.  For me and my brain the M12/Xpander interface is way ahead.

Cheers.....Julio
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:30:45 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
Got that - well I've got a very good emulation of it (and lots of other things)
with 'Nebula'.
www.acustica-audio.com

The emulation sounds great and colours things considerably.

cheers
Pete