Author Topic: Some ['ramp] and Parsick news  (Read 508 times)

doombient

• View Profile
Some ['ramp] and Parsick news
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:18 AM »
Hi all,

as already discussed elsewhere on this forum, I decided to take a sabbatical from releasing music after the Bochum Planetarium Show in July 2012. The workload of running a label enterprise (even a tiny-scale operation as mine), creating and producing music, and working a day job which pays the electric bill turned out to be a tad too much.

My hands have not been idle, though, and I kept producing music in the meantime, although perhaps not as ambitiously as in the past -- I'm getting older as well. I hope to be releasing one, if not two new ['ramp] albums on CD in the course of the new year which I finished off in 2016 (with a third album waiting in line). Also, I hope to get my website (ho-hum...) up and running -- it took me all of 2016 to elaborate on the concept, write the texts, and sift through my archives for some pictures I might want to upload.

The first step to get things going again was signing up to Bandcamp. Some of you may know how reluctant I am to release music online but people really seem to embrace this format as I could tell from past experience with Iapetus. I took the time around Christmas to start uploading not only ['ramp]'s back catalogue but also some music I created under my name. I hope to have some more albums added to my discography (download-o-graphy?) soon:

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

There are two ambient music albums I have had in the pipeline for some time which I decided to upload to Bandcamp, "music to walk through" and "a beginner's guide to doombient". I hope you will enjoy listening to them. You can order downloads and physical releases (if available) directly through Bandcamp while my own webshop is still inactive. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me.

Many thanks to all who have sent emails, encouragement, and moral support -- much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Stephen.
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

stargazer

• View Profile
Re: Some ['ramp] and Parsick news
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Stephen, I really enjoy your live recording at the Gasometer in Bochum in 2010. Very smooth textures!
I think I never was there but enjoyed other kindred places in the "Rhurpott" area, and yes such places can be cold in winter time.

Did you play right under the moon sculptur? ;)
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
[...] Did you play right under the moon sculptur? ;)

Yes, I did. It was suspended from the ceiling, and at that time it was the biggest three-dimensional moon model on earth (with a diameter of roughly 25 metres). Quite impressive even though it tended to get lost a little inside the gasometer (which measures roughly 70 metres in diameter and 120 metres in height).

I would have loved to play at Landschaftspark Nord in Duisburg (another abandoned steel plant) but, with those weather conditions in mind, playing inside the gasometer was perhaps a better choice (if only slightly...).

To me, the Oberhausen Gasometer is a very special place. I saw Lightwave play there live in 1996 when they were performing their Mundus Subterraneus installation for Anne and Patrick Poirier. That was awe-inspiring, and I always wanted to play there myself. I played there twice, actually -- once in 2007 and again in 2010.

[...] Very smooth textures! [...]

Thanks. I believe the gasometer's natural reverb blurred the edges even more :). Best moment during the performance: A fellow came walking up to me, asking "Excuse me, sir, but what are these sounds?" -- you have got to love this.

Stephen

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
Great news Stephen, and good to see you on Bandcamp at last  8)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »
very nice to see your re-surface again after (what indeed has been) a long hiatus....

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
I received an email from Hearts of Space earlier this morning... apparently, one of the tracks Markus Reuter and I created was played on last night's broadcast, all across the USA:

=--------------------------------------------------------------------=
    PGM 1134 : "AFTER THE BURN"
    PGM NOTE : the nostalgic sound of a world without us
    FEED DATE : 1-13-17

ROBERT RICH
   "Corvid Collections" (beginning) < 0:00->2:52 >
   "Soft Rains Fall" < 2:52->6:47 >
   "Corvid Collections" (ending) < 6:47->10:23 >
    : WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND; Soundscape Productions SP027; 2016
    : Info: www.robertrich.com

ROBERT RICH
   "Equipoise and Dissolution" (edited) < 10:23->17:41 >
    : VESTIGES; Soundscape Productions SP029; 2016

ROBERT RICH
   "Aerial on Warm Seas" (part) < 17:41->21:37 >
    : WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND; Soundscape Productions SP027; 2016

SECRET DRUID SOCIETY
   "Lonely Moon" < 21:37->25:18 >
    : RESTLESS; First Fallen Star ffs006; 2010
    : Info: www.secretdruidsociety.bandcamp.com

STEPHEN PARSICK and MARKUS REUTER
   "Weightless Particles" < 25:18->32:43 >
    : LAMENT; Gterma Records gterma003; Sweden 2012
      http://www.markusreuter.bandcamp.com/album/lament
    : Info: www.gterma.blogspot.com; www.parsick.com;
      www.markusreuter.com

ROBERT RICH
   "Night Seas Luminesce" < 32:43->39:10 >
   "Anchorless on Quiet Tide" (edited) < 39:10->44:05 >

ALIO DIE and SYLVI ALLI
   "Crepuscular Birds" < 44:05->54:27 >
    : AMIDST THE CIRCLING SPIRES; Projekt PRO292; 2014
    : Info: www.projekt.com; www.aliodie.com; www.verticalpool.com

ROBERT RICH
   "Obscured by Leaf Shadows" (edited) < 54:27->58:59 >

PRODUCED BY : STEVE DAVIS and STEPHEN HILL
    BAY AREA WEATHER : waterlogged
    (c) 2017 Hearts of Space

Wow.

Took me more than twenty years to get there.

BTW, "rhizophora -- music for mangroves" will be up on Bandcamp soon. I still am amazed at how this music makes time dissolve. Extremely slow, deep-listening stuff.

Stephen (smiling with satisfaction).

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
Grats!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
Congratulations, Stephen!

I've been enjoying your "Music To Walk Through" album this week.  Some really great ambient textures in there.

Forrest

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
Cool!  8)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
What a great way to be welcomed back from your sabbatical with the Hearts of Space broadcast.....Bravo!
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »
doombient.one -- verbrannte erde ("scorched earth") has been made available as a digital download Album as well:

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/album/doombient-one-verbrannte-erde

Unlike the regular releases by ['ramp], this one -- as well as its siblings -- was more heavily influenced by early industrial music bands and artists like e. g. Throbbing Gristle and can thus be filed under less pleasant listening rather than "Berlin School".

The concert this music was recorded at literally witnessed some airborn vegetables and other positive response from the audience... always a good and encouraging sign. A true disconcert.

Thanks for listening and, of course, for your ongoing support. Much appreciated.

Stephen

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
And now for something a little more pleasant (before it gets *really* bad) and tranquil:

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/album/planetary-music

"Planetary Music" has just been made available -- a concert from March 2008, recorded at Osnabrück planetarium. The programme was billed as "Planetary Unfolding" in order to pay homage to Michael Stearns'  highly influential space music album -- interestingly, a local newspaper described "doombient" as "a hybrid of new-age music and death metal." This I'd love to hear -- if only once.

Anyway, thanks for your attention. Feel free to enjoy,

Stephen.

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:59:23 AM »
Alright, here we go, here comes the nasty bit:

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/album/doombient-two-a-declaration-of-war

doombient.two probably is the most radical album in ['ramp]'s repertoire (well, that's my take on it anyway). It was recorded during a one-off festival which really went out of control due to the organizer being very ambitious but inexperienced, and the personnel he had asked to help him being totally inept. The FOH mixer, for instance, had never heard of "stereo", and in order to cope with clipping he tweaked the EQ controls rather than lowering input gain.

This left me not only with a ruined live recording but also with an audience that really felt annoyed by the sheer amount of noise and aggressiveness ['ramp] presented right from the start. In fact, ['ramp] managed to empty the hall in less than 20 minutes. I believe that this concert put off quite a lot of people who still believe that ['ramp] is rubbish, fifteen years on.

To this day, I sometimes can't stand the emotional intensity of the recording as it was not only recorded under really extreme personal and existential circumstances, it also marked the beginning of the end of ['ramp] as a duo.

Be prepared that this is not exactly for the inexperienced listener or for the faint at heart.

Thanks for listening, and -- as always -- thank you for your support,

Stephen.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Just bought Doombient.two - want to give it a proper listen on something better than the computer speakers....

Flicking along the tracks as I did I thought the music was varied and am looking forward to listening properly.

I did not find it as aggressive as you described, but then listening to something that recorded such a difficult experience as you describe is going to have an impact....