Author Topic: Julio Di Benedetto...New Release...Original Light  (Read 457 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Julio Di Benedetto...New Release...Original Light
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »

My new cd release "Original Light" is now available for purchase and download.  Please stop by my Bandcamp site and give it a spin, thanks.

https://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/album/original-light

Composed, performed & produced by Julio Di Benedetto 2012-2015 using synthesizers, piano, iPad apps & laptop processing.

Mastered by Don Tyler @ IO Mastering

Photography & Design : Julio Di Benedetto

El culto

• View Profile
Re: Julio Di Benedetto...New Release...Original Light
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
Hi Julio,

comparing to photography IMO the music is "overexposed". For my taste way too much "shiny" high end sounds. Iīm aware there is an audience appreciating this approach (mainly found in the States) + itīs also found in many synth presets (Hard+Software) but IMO it makes the music too much "metallic"..itīs just pleases the listeners expectations by having an increasing around the 3khz frequency.

I do like the musical ideas but not the mixing!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
Hey Tomas,

Interesting points that you make and the "over exposed" that you mention is quite accurate. The metallic and shiny nature of the music is intentional. 

The job description to the mastering engineer was that the music was composed with the idea of original light being not dark and brooding but full of energy, destructive, and consuming.  It was not the light that gives life, at least not yet.  The mastering was just right and pull out all the distortion and glitch....not necessarily to everyones taste but it was what I had in mind when I mixed, actually a large part of that came in production and my natural tendency when I program is to be on the brighter side yet the music has a solid low end to support the "overexposure"...I just love that, overexposed music....that could be something Tomas

As always, I appreciate you technical and artist perspective.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:58:07 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
FYI...Original Light really shines when listened to on headphones. The music was mixed in the tradition manner on studio monitors but pretty much 100% of production was done through headphones.  I feel it shows.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
Hi, Julio. I downloaded this last night and spent the better part of the day at work listening to it. Great work! I especially like the opening and closing tracks.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
Thanks so much Chris....beginnings and ending....yes!

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:42 PM »
This looks good. Can't wait to listen to it in full.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
This looks good. Can't wait to listen to it in full.

Thanks Harry....Enjoy!

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »
Great to see you've released this one Julio.

Also well done for such a measured response to Tomas's comment - of which I'm not being critical, I should say.

Quite an interesting idea - under exposed / over exposed ambient music. Pursuing the photography line, how would we alter the exposure compensation, I wonder ? :)

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
Had a listen on BC to this over the last couple of evenings, very nice work and a nice looking package too. Going to put this on my BC wishlist and hopefully get the disc before they all go.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Hi, Julio.  Good to hear you're still musically active.  Haven't had the chance to check your new release yet, but will do so soon.

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Pete, Phobos and Forrest,

"Overexposed music".....perhaps its an FX plugin, different from a saturator and a distortion unit, maybe more like tape saturation, no that could be too subtle.  In the right hands overexposure in photography is a very creative method of expression....perhaps there are pixels in music!

It has been more than 2 years since my last releases....Original Light was finished rather quickly or so I thought, sometimes a music project needs to sit for a while to give it some space or space for me from it...... It was a sequence of sketches that suggest something but needed time to show the path ahead. A project can be realized in a short period, more often it takes time for me to come to terms with what has been done and consider if it is ready for release.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:56:29 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 03:34:08 AM »
Beautiful album cover Julio, I will check this out tonight whilst partaking of a wee dram of Edradour  ;)

Looking forward to both already.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
I worked for several years on this project and when that moment came when it was ready to be shared I had to wish it the best, say farewell and let it go in hope that the music would touch some people, one or two or many.  Its not something I can control.

The first response was critical and one that I understand because Tomas quickly picked up on what I was trying to achieve in production even though it was not to his taste. He clearly stated he likes the musical ideas. Enough said. 

We come here on this forum and others to share with each other our love for ambient music....it so happens this is my music and I am open to any kind of discussion positive and otherwise. Its important that we can interact with on another and exchange ideas and inspire each other.

Take some time when you can an just listen to the music.  Its there...its finished...this part of my journey is over, perhaps the music may offer something towards your journey. 

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »
Beautiful album cover Julio, I will check this out tonight whilst partaking of a wee dram of Edradour  ;)

Looking forward to both already.

Single malt & ambient music...a perfect match!

The music will be on its way to you shortly....Many thanks!

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
Firstly, I should say this is a subtle work which requires repeated listenings.

I'd say there is an element of metallic-type sounds, but overall the album isn't unbalanced tonally - there's a lot more going on in the spectrum as well as the sounds in the upper frequency range. Perhaps only on Track 6 is the balance veered a tad far towards the high-end (for my particular preferences) where the piano is featured alongside a static like sound (which has an almost has a breathy quality) which is a tad 'forward'. Interestingly, the album starts with a distinctly HF free intro.

There are subtle compositional and structural elements which prevail throughout the album and it is spatially interesting too - again in a subtle manner. Sometimes I find 'wild pannings' to be a bit distracting unless there is something to offset these shifts against - more 'centred' sounds.

I think an artist should stick to their guns, so to speak. If they decide to create a work with a particular sound signature, thats their choice. Like every other creative decision it won't be the same for everyone, that's what happens when any artist releases a work - you open yourself for reactions, positive and negative.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:42:55 AM by petekelly »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
Thanks so much for your insightful thoughts Pete....you have a good sense of the music and its sonic persuasions. Feed back from those that listen to the music is so important, for any artist. Im grateful for your support and taking the time for a deeper listening.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:41:03 AM »

Karel, an ambient cd collector from the Czech Republic sent me this beautiful picture with my new release included...Wow!  Thanks Karel!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:44:55 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »