Author Topic: The new dreamSTATE album is an iPhone app  (Read 257 times)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
The new dreamSTATE album is an iPhone app
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
We've just released the new dreamSTATE album "Ephemeral City" via the Apple App Store.

We call it an iAlbum and it's designed to play a fresh infinite arrangement of the soundscapes every time it's played.

There's also evolving urban ambient art by yours truly. We see this as an ambient installation in your iPhone (or iPad or iTouch) and it's based on principles from our very first installation in 1996.

The cost is $2.99 and here's a direct link to download it now from the App Store:
http://appstore.com/dreamstateephemeralcity
or you can just seach for "dreamstate' and you'll find it easily.

We recommend downloading in a WiFi zone or to your computer, as there are many high-quality soundfiles involved.

So... Of course I would love you to get "Ephemeral City" and experience it, but I'm also very interested in your thoughts on the new paradigms of ambient music in apps. Not owning an iDevice is an obvious barrier, for instance. The general super-low pricing of apps is also quite mind-boggling. For instance, you can buy superb synths for your iPad for $5 to $30 that one would pay $100 to $300 for in VST form. This is a new wild-frontier and exciting to explore. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: The new dreamSTATE album is an iPhone app
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
Will definitely give it a try,Scott.
Or should we call you Eno, now that you have gone into infinite variations?  ;)

(I recently picked up a couple of the Eno apps.)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »
Ha! Yes, I have the Eno apps myself.

Bloom gives that immediate gratification but I'm quite fond of Trope for sleeping. It's less percussive sounding and will also drift into a different mode from time to time, to gently engage what's left of my mind.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:26 AM »
I've been listening to your app for the better part of this evening, Scott.  Really gorgeous and expansive ambient textures that seem to morph continuously.  Very hard to tell at times whether a piece is beginning or ending, which in this case is a good thing!  Congratulations!

My favorite of the Eno apps is Scape.  Great textures in that one, though the ability to save textures you've created seems to be limited.

Forrest

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:03:50 AM »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »
Fascinating idea Scott, would have loved to hear it, but it's not available for an iPad, it seems.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
Pete, it works on my iPad, though it only displays vertically as a visual, though not a big problem. 

Maybe there should be a non-IOS version, too, so that ambient music lovers like Richard aren't left out??

Forrest

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
Forrest, I'm a bit new to all this 'i-stuff'. I couldn't see it on the Appstore on the iPad, but I can on iTunes on my PC, will try it out.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »
I have it running on my iPad.  It sounds great   8)

Pete: Had to say give me iPhone apps in the App store in order to see it.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »
Forrest, I'm a bit new to all this 'i-stuff'. I couldn't see it on the Appstore on the iPad, but I can on iTunes on my PC, will try it out.

Like APK says... if you're in the App Store in an iPad, you have to click the "iPad Only" dropdown at the top and switch to "iPhone Only". It didn't use to be like that but they "improved" it.  ;)

This direct link "should" work even on an iPad. Let me know if it doesn't.
http://appstore.com/dreamstateephemeralcity

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »
I've been listening to your app for the better part of this evening, Scott.  Really gorgeous and expansive ambient textures that seem to morph continuously.  Very hard to tell at times whether a piece is beginning or ending, which in this case is a good thing!  Congratulations!

My favorite of the Eno apps is Scape.  Great textures in that one, though the ability to save textures you've created seems to be limited.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest!

Yes, Scape is very cool. They did make an update this year to allow you to name the scapes you've assembled and saved and that simple change made it more enjoyable for me. Instead of Scape 23 and Scape 24, it's now Natural Order and A History Of Cheese.   ;)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Cheers for the tips fellers, was able to download it and run it fine. Very interesting, on first listen and I'm curious to hear how it 'generates' on further listens.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #12 on: Today at 04:03:45 AM »
Scott, Still enjoying this album.
I've listen a number of times now and it still sounds 'new' each time. Without giving the game away, could you let us know some idea of how it 'generates, ? I've been looking into 'Noatikl' as weel and finding iOS to be very interesting regarding audio. As for iOS and ambient musicians, I don't know enough about the whole area yet (the learning curve is still pretty steep in parts), I think I'II ponder on things a bit more and write a blog post soonest.