Author Topic: Roger Waters - The Wall Tour 2010-2011  (Read 2420 times)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Roger Waters - The Wall Tour 2010-2011
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
I'm getting rather excited to be taking Lynn to see The Wall concert tonight here in Toronto.

I actually saw the original tour in New York waaay back and I'd still say that the experience
has been unsurpassed. David Gilmour (my fave guitarist) won't be along (except for one surprise date)
but regular Pink Floyd tour 2nd guitarist Snowy White will be, (along with G.E. Smith) and Jon Cairn
who's been the 2nd keyboardist for many years for PF, David Gilmour and Waters tours. Roger's son
Harry Waters will also be on keys.

They've apparently upscaled the video projection capabilities to current state-of-the-art
though it will be tough to beat the sound of the original tour where they had the quad sound
components built right under the seating around the arena.

I have floors, hopefully near the quad center, and I expect this will be our last big-money
indulgence for a concert forever-after.

Sighthound

• View Profile
Re: Roger Waters - The Wall Tour 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »
So - How was it?  I'm going in Philly on November 11th.  Everything I read has been positive so far.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »
Waters and crew took a different swing at the visuals, which added some good surprise elements, since the original tour's surprises in the show are now known to many people, and he updated many elements to reflect recent/current events. I think this was wise. Instead of holding off on projections on the wall until into the 2nd set, there were wall projections starting in the 1st song of the show. Projecting wall bricks onto the wall may sound redundant, but it led to many very cool, little mind-blowing moments.

I did miss Gilmour (no surprise) and the music seemed very smooth but without an edge.
I also missed the musical tightrope that you could often sense in Rick Wright's playing.
Roger also softened the edge of many of his characters when singing. The Doctor in Comfy Numb, for instance, seemed more benign - but if you accept this as different take on the material then it's OK.

The quad (or diamond) sound was not really noticible from our seats (16th row centerish) but they flew all the surround speakers, with many in the center, which I believe smeared the sound. There may have simply been less emphasis on the quad source materials for this tour. The use of quad sound-space in an arena was always a big pleasure for me at Pink Floyd concerts. I'd be interested in knowing if people in other seats had a great quad experience or not.

Lynn, who's never seen Floyd live, was spellbound and ecstatic about the concert.
I saw the original and kept my expectations reasonably low - and was very happy with the new alternative Wall theatrical experience.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
I too saw the original Pink Floyd Wall tour here in LA. And I just noticed that Waters will be performing it here in LA on my birthday.  8) On second thought I just saw ticket prices they are charging for the show. $250 for a standard seat! :o ??? Yeah maybe I won't be going.  :(
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:55:42 AM by LNerell »
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
Heresy, maybe... but I'd sooner see a Waters-less Floyd than one without Gilmour.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
I too saw the original Pink Floyd Wall tour here in LA. And I just noticed that Waters will be performing it here in LA on my birthday.  8) On second thought I just saw ticket prices they are charging for the show. $250 for a standard seat! :o ??? Yeah maybe I won't be going.  :(

$250 is brutal but (as you probably know) Floyd shows work well from a distance (often better) and this should be no exception and there's also tickets for about $65 (I think) as an option.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
Heresy, maybe... but I'd sooner see a Waters-less Floyd than one without Gilmour.

I'm with you on that - but I try to see both options if I can.
I remember when Waters was touring Radio Kaoss at the same time that the rest of his old gang were touring
Momentary Lapse. A great opportunity to compare and contrast. Both were excellent and interesting concerts -
but Gilmour's PF tour won handily for me.  Waters has the angry intellect but Gilmour & Waters had the heart & soul.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
Not to mention, "Comfortably Numb" is the best Pink Floyd song, evah!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
Here's a spoiler video. (Not by me.) 
Do not watch this if you're going to a Wall concert.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:54:49 AM »
I don't know about Comfortably Numb being the best PF song.  Maybe in the context of The Wall, and it's the most radio friendly and well known song, but I think there were tracks on Meddle, Dark Side, and Animals that were better and more definitive of the band as a whole.  Definitely Gilmour's best guitar solo, though (although I always thought the song "Final Cut" had a guitar solo that equals it). 

I supported Rog in the 80's and 90's--there was no Pink Floyd without him.  I could just never really get into all those studio and live albums without him.  Sorry to sound like a PF snob, but it's just my opinion...   

Alderich Mansel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »

At least as far as playing goes, once the songs are written, there is no need for Waters. His bass playing can be duplicated by anyone. Gilmour, on the other hand...

Now, his voice is a distinctive part of many Floyd songs, so of course you want them both. But that's not likely.

I am a big fan of Waters just for the record, but his talents do not lie in performing.

AM

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
Except on gong!    ;D