Author Topic: Steve Roach with Robert Logan - Biosonic and Second Nature 2 New albums  (Read 2250 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach with Robert Logan - Biosonic and Second Nature 2 New albums
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm going to be honest and say I'm a little disappointed with Biosonic. I really enjoy some of Robert Logan's individual pieces that I listened to, but I did wonder how his style and sound would combine with that of Steve Roach.
To me the music on Biosonic kind of lingers on the surface, it doesn't pull me in. There are some fine moments, like the beautiful atmospheric ending of the first track. I wish there were more of those moments.
I think there is a lot of focus on detail, but I'm missing the overall picture. For example, I feel Body Electric and especially Blood Machine have a much stronger sense of cohesion; the concept of those albums really comes to life in the music.
Still, it's a worthy effort and it's good for Steve Roach to keep venturing into new directions, but maybe these two artists aren't fully compatible. Or I simply had the wrong expectations.
Ie]

I feel exactly the same about everything in your post.
I think Steve and vit unis is a perfect match I hope they will work together again. 

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
Re: Steve Roach with Robert Logan - Biosonic and Second Nature 2 New albums
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
I just put up my reviews on both my site;
I can relate to that last opinion, "Biosonic" sounds too abstract, psychedelic and distant to my ears,  I much more appreciate the intimate and calming atmospheres found on "Second Nature"...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:06:59 AM by Bert/SonicImmersion.org »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I just put up my reviews on both my site;
I can relate to that last opinion, "Biosonic" sounds too abstract, psychedlic and distant to my ears,  I much more appreciate the intimate and calming atmospheres found on "Second Nature"...

The biggest problem with steve roach music since 2009 and onward is the lack of sonic quality found in albums before 2009, the exception is "The Ancestor Circle  " it has similiar sonic quality to older steve roach albums, and ironcially his live albums tend to sound better then his studio albums nowdays. All I am saying it all sound like the music going thru a really cheap AD/DA converter and it destroys the whole sonic quality of the music. I think it is also kind of clear he have gotten bored of using the same gear all years, I think I can bet a lot of money he do no longer use Lexicon PCM reverbs,  I understand he want change things and not use the same always but it happens to be so that Lexicon PCM reverb sounds best with his type of music.

It started to go downhill after he changed studio and moved to the new house.

I also think he use way too much bass in the drones these days, almost sounds like it distort..

What it boils down to is that it is all about technological reasons and choices.

I think both second nature and biosonic have very poor sonic quality compared to his older stuff, again it all feels like it is going tru a shit converter
The analouge warmth is not present at all it even though I know steve use mostly analouge gear besides effects, it still turn out sounding with digital edges.
I am really interested to now what converter he use... it might aswell be his weak link..