Author Topic: Recent music purchases  (Read 181667 times)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Re: Recent music purchases
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
Purchased SR's Now on vinyl last week. Waiting on its arrival. Should be good.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
Be interested to hear what you think ^^^^^ both on the album and the vinyl quality.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
Joerg Schaaf - Sonar Experience . This is very good indeed. A mixture of styles ranging through Berlin to ambient and experimental.  Geat stuff. Think I might email him and tell him how much I am enjoying his music ........ https://joergschaaf.bandcamp.com/album/sonar-experience

Southfacing - Make Way For The Young deep ambient and very good it is too......https://frequencydomain.bandcamp.com/album/make-way-for-the-young

And importantly Lorenzo Montana - Black Ivy / Serpe double disc set from Psychonavigation. The first is beat orintated melodic ambient with great tunes the second deep space ambient with some beautiful melodic content also. Also on bandcamp for ordering the discs/download if you are interested .

Edit .... Both of these were on FAX originally, my iTunes downloads have about worn out so nice shiny CDs it is.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:09:26 AM by thirdsystem »

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 15, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
Found a 2nd hand CD of Budd/ Guthrie - After The Night Falls in my local record shop. Now I have to confess that piano type ambient is not my favourite, I have to be in the mood for it, I own plenty Budd btw (and enjoy it when I play same occasionally) This album is excellent though, been on constant rotation, probably a bit less piano orientated though.

Phobos - An October Evening Very deep and dark , as ever. Great stuff and a track with some beats  ;) surprising but excellent !! Looking forward to watching the DVD .

Ecovillage - Jesus of Nazereth on psychonavigation bandcamp. What a beautiful, ethereal , uplifting listen. CD ordered. Good for Christmas Ambient Listening.

Edit - link below
https://psychonavigation.bandcamp.com/album/ecovillage-jesus-of-nazareth
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:28:55 PM by thirdsystem »

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 16, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »

Phobos - An October Evening Very deep and dark , as ever. Great stuff and a track with some beats  ;) surprising but excellent !! Looking forward to watching the DVD .

Thanks for the support 8), hope you enjoy the DVD
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 16, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »
Joseph Minadeo - Amehuru

(some very nice ambient with occasional Budd-ian piano and a fair amount of textural variety, though some of the pieces are a bit long (the whole thing is almost 3-1/2 hours long))

https://patternbased.bandcamp.com/album/amehuru

Rainer Bruninghaus - Freigeweht

(a spacy early 80s ECM favorite I was happy to track down on CD.  He was the kevboard player in Eberhard Weber's Colours band)

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 17, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
Is anyone compiling their Best of 2015 list?  Maybe in a couple weeks we could start a thread...

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
FAX CDs to upgrade from downloads( ie important stuff !!)
Namlook/ Inoue - 62 Eulengasse , possibly my favourite FAX album
Namlook/ Spyra - Virtual Vices 4 , superb jazz orientated with ambient also. My first ever FAX download a few years back.
and
Namlook - A View to a Chill
Gate/Sol , beautiful ambient with some acoustic instruments. Underrated gem of an album.

Robert Schroeder - Dream Access
Steve Roach - Day Out Of Time

Vinyl - Floating Points - Elaenia .

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
Steve Roach - Tucson Live 2014 and Emotions Revealed

Both very good indeed and on name your price at bandcamp.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:54:16 AM by thirdsystem »

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 13, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
Spocks Beard - Snow , triple vinyl  8)
Robert Wyatt - Different Every Time, compilation - superb
Dark Side of the Moog, 1-4 boxset - KS and the much missed Mr Namlook - This is very good indeed, more beat orientated in bits than my usual fair but enjoyed it all, some wonderful ambient soundscapes.

Carpe Sonum release of Nachtplank - Alien new album. Now this is different, very different from Echo Ark. Difficult to describe, probably experimental, alien like  :D  and very interesting. I like it.

And....

Autumn of Communion - Polydeuces.

The series of albums ended with AOC 6 and a new direction commenced. First couple of listens - this is excellent, still space epic ambient but in a different vein and recommended.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #470 on: February 29, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
Some CDs from the Spotted Peccary $5 CD sale:

Craig Padilla - The Light in the Shadow

Markus Reuter - Trepanation

Jeff Greinke - Virga

Chad Hoefler - Quiet Glow

Two FLAC downloads from the Projekt Bandcamp Sale:

Alio Die - Under a Holy Ritual

Forrest Fang - The Sleepwalker's Ocean

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2016, 01:45:59 AM »
Dark side of the Moog - 1-4.
Joy Division - Closer remastered.
Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness Charm
Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill
Ozric Tentacles - Technicians of the Sacred
Gong - You
Elle King - Love Stuff
Steve Roach - a number of the digital offers recently - inc Sigh of Ages, Arc of passion.
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 06, 2016, 01:31:13 PM »
Eno - The Shutov Assembly , excellent.
Peter Gabriel - Birdy soundtrack. Instrumental and ambient album from possibly the best vocalist on earth ?
Santana 7" 45 -  1978 promo - I'll be Wating / Flor D'Luna  :)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #473 on: March 06, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
Eno - The Shutov Assembly , excellent.
Peter Gabriel - Birdy soundtrack. Instrumental and ambient album from possibly the best vocalist on earth ?
Santana 7" 45 -  1978 promo - I'll be Wating / Flor D'Luna  :)

The Birdy soundtrack sounds interesting. I passed on a used LP copy of that awhile back. I do enjoy his early solo work and of course "Passion", which is an amazing album.

Don't have any Eno post-Thursday Afternoon. What does that album sound like?

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 06, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
Hi cvac.

The Birdy album is excellent. Mainly ambient orientated. About 4 of the tracks have themes from PG3 and 4 . I really enjoyed the mix of themes and soundtrack. Will need to watch the film again. Must be about 25 years since I saw it last. I just bought PG1 on remastered vinyl. One of these expensive mastered at 45rpm jobs. One of the best quality pressings on the black stuff I have heard. Stunning and great album also.

I have only heard he Eno twice through so still digesting. Beautiful, classic Eno ambience. Possibly one of the best I have of Mr Eno. Many plays will follow his week. It's that kind of album , which in my experience is always a good sign .

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 12, 2016, 05:41:46 AM »

Steve Roach - Possible Planet

Haven't noticed much mention of this album on the net. Having checked the samples on bandcamp thought I would enjoy this.

Dark and brooding with mysterious life forms, organic slow growth becomes more active and emerges into a lighter world on the final track where there is a subtle hint of a more Berlin School environment. All on analogue equipment.

I really like this album, been on constantly the last few days. The perfect companion to the otherworldly space epic I am reading.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #476 on: March 12, 2016, 05:43:31 AM »

Steve Roach - Possible Planet

Just played this one yesterday, really enjoyed it.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2016, 01:30:10 AM »
yep - it's a good one 8)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:32 PM »

Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door , remastered 180g vinyl.

Only had this on cassette , therefore so wonderful to hear it on the black stuff. Many Zep fans not so keen on this one. I love it. Reminds me of my youth  :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 11, 2016, 03:19:10 AM »
In Through the Out Door along with Presence are my two favorite Zeppelin albums.  I'm probably in the minority, where others would cite Zoso and Physical Graffiti, which are still great of course.  I bought the 2CD remaster of Out Door.  I was greatly disappointed in the remastering of the original album.  I found it too bright (the lower frequencies inexplicably sucked out),and very digitized sounding.  I kept my original Page remaster from the 90s luckily.  Really enjoyed the companion disc of different mixes.  Strangely the companion disc sounded as good as the older remaster.