Author Topic: Recent music purchases  (Read 76160 times)

darren bergstein

• View Profile
Re: Recent music purchases
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:31 AM »
Schicke Fuhrs and Frohling-"Ticket to Everywhere" (Cherry Red reissue).  Rush meets Klaus Schulze, sort of.  Very cool 70's prog rock. I need to pick up the two preceding albums, Symphonic Pictures and Sunburst, also recently reissued.

I picked up all 3 SFF reissues as well a few months back. The irony is, again, I used to have that Complete SFF Recordings boxset The Laser's Edge released years ago, but dumped it in a major purge of prog many moons ago...now they've been reacquired. Aural tastes are like any other tactile tastes: sometimes you go into periods where you can't stand certain foods, then suddenly you like them, for no discernible reason. I've been re-evaluating certain strains of 'prog' the past few years, buying (or re-buying) some of it in varying degrees; there exists many criteria regarding this resurgent interest, most of it having to do with instrumentation & packaging (such as the 40th anniversary King Crimson issues, despite the fact I own the 30th anniv. editions), but I'm pretty selective—it doesn't *all* make it (back) to the shelves.

Speaking of prog/reissues, Esoteric, Cherry Red's reissue sub-label, does a masterful job with their clutch of releases, doing sterling work reissuing such items as Soft Machine's later period work, the aforementioned SFF, Flash, Camel, and many others. The Softs material in particular sounds & looks exceptionally good, and is highly recommended.

And here's further augmentation of the 'master' purchase list, just bought:

- Uwe Bauch Century City & Eclipse / two EM space music/sequencer releases by obscure artist Bauch

- Francesco Buccheri Hand-Made / eBay acquisition by supposedly electronic/sympho-prog artist, again, obscure, little-known, but cheap enough to give a shot

- Kevin Dunn No Great Lost: Songs 1979-1985 / Was surprised & excited to find this yesterday...CD issue of marginal no-wave/New York multi-instrumentalist's work, including the complete 'lost' album The Judgement of Paris by Kevin Dunn & the Regiment of Women (which I still have on LP), plus additional tracks...strange, twisted downtown pop, all self-produced, with psuedo-Wire-esque guitars, off-kilter synths/electronics, tinny drum machines, superb lyrics...pretty wacked-out & still cool after all these years

- Chris Snidow Number of Days & From the Foundation... / I remember Snidow's work from the "new age" wastelands of the early 90s, and had written it off, but time has been kind to it: sound samples revealed some nice, O'Hearn-esque textures and otherwise there, so Amazon coughed up some very cheap copies of each

Next... :)
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
I picked up all 3 SFF reissues as well a few months back. The irony is, again, I used to have that Complete SFF Recordings boxset The Laser's Edge released years ago, but dumped it in a major purge of prog many moons ago...now they've been reacquired.

I did the same thing with my Laser's Edge copy of the Complete SFF Recordings.  Found a used copy on what I think was the band's own label several years later.  Good to hear that they're being made avaialbale again.  I think the first two (Symphonic Pictures and Surburst) are far superior to the third one (Ticket to Everywhere).  The board player and guitarist of SFF also released a very fine album in 1980 called "Ammerland" which I think has also been reissued.  Interesting that Zappa was originally slated to produce their 1st album.

Symphonic Pictures has some of best use of mellotron this side of Edgar Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale.

Forrest

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine CD
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Body Electric CD
Steve Roach - Trance Spirits CD
Steve Roach - Atmospheric Conditions CD

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 03:13:35 PM »
- CONCERT SILENCE - Rain Furniture ep
- CONCERT SILENCE - 09.22.07

from Infraction.
Expecting them to arrive this week.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
I gave both these Concert Silence discs a listen this weekend. Interesting sounds -- I'm looking forward to giving these some more attention. These guys are in Portland, I just learned, but I don't know them.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
One of them is, of course, also known as Eluvium.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 06:12:35 AM »
More just bought:

- The Buzzcocks Love Bites
- The Buzzcocks Another Music in a Different Kitchen
- The Buzzcocks A Different Kind of Tension

All the above new 2 CD reissues/remasters, all sounding wonderful, the first now, er, buzzing, through the OTP environs splendidly, rekindling the (s)punk air of 1977 all over again...now if only someone would reissue Pete Shelley's early electronic LP Sky Yen (done post-Buzzcocks but pre- the brilliant synthpop initiations of Homosapien) on CD things'd be quite right indeed.

- OMD History of Modern / Pretty good reunion disc, featuring the original McCluskey/Humphreys team, some truly superb songs amid a few later-period blah-rock pieces a la The Pacific Age, but overall a good return to form that dispels notions of 'cash-in': they're not necessarily saying anything new, but it's being restated well enough (much like the recent new Devo, a more conclusively satisfying record).

- db Analogue / As noted in another thread, new solo album from Node member, highly anticipated.

- Khan Space Shanty
- Happy the Man Happy the Man
(first album)

Continuing my recent prog kick & rebuying spree, the above two classic discs reacquired, both excellent. (Note to self: don't be so quick on the trade-in trigger!)

Oh yes, those Concert Silence discs are indeed worthy slabs of deepcore ambience, far better than the work of parent band Eluvium, who I find (I know I'm in the minority) utterly dull as dishwater...oh well...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:23:15 AM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
en route:

CDs:
- commix 'call to mind'
- commix 're-call to mind' (remixes)
- sator absentia 'mercurian orgasms'
- ryo kawasaki 'live'
- diskjokke 'staying in'
- galaxy 'everlasting tone'
- jack sparrow 'circadian'
- v/a 'future bass'
- peter mergener 'passage in time'
- reuber 'ring'
- the orb / youth 'impossible oddities'

CDRs:
- achrid 'achrid'
- fatih tuter 'wide & shallow remixes' (preorder)
DARREN BERGSTEIN

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
Now have all the SFF.  Ammerland (minus drummer Schicke) is awesome, lives up to its glowing reviews online.  Symphonic Pictures is good but I don't know about being one of the best mellotron albums.  "In the Court" by KC is still hard to beat.  Or classic Moody Blues or...

Travis & Fripp-Live at Conventry Cathedral.  Clarinet and flutes are a strange mix with Fripp's soundscapes, but on this live disc it works pretty well. 

David Sylvian-Sleepwalkers.  Compilation of his "late" period stuff. Some real gems here, and overall flows nicely.  Much better than "Manafon."

Peter Gabriel-Plays Live highlights (the best remaster of this incredible live album, in fact possibly the best live album in history, but cutting four essential tracks to facilitate a single disc is annoying).  Also Birdy and Security remasters.

The Smiths-The Sounds of The Smiths (deluxe 2-disc). Probably the best comp. available of this excellent band, even if you don't like Morrissey you have to admit these guys were great musicians!

Felt-Stains on a Decade compilation.  Amazing UK cult band, highly underrated.

Roxy Music-Flesh+Blood.  Comes close but doesn't beat their masterpiece "Avalon."

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
Peter Gabriel-Plays Live highlights (the best remaster of this incredible live album, in fact possibly the best live album in history, but cutting four essential tracks to facilitate a single disc is annoying).  Also Birdy and Security remasters. 

That's a very cool album (though I'd vote for Live at Leeds as best live album).  Which tracks were cut?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
Tracks left off Plays Live highlights were Rhythm of the Heat, Not One of Us, Intruder, and On the Air.  All the tracks on Plays Live are amazing and blow the studio versions away.  I would have personally chosen to replace No Self Control, I Don't Remember, and Family and the Fishing Net (the somewhat darker/stranger tracks, along with Intruder) with Rhythm of the Heat (absolutely phenomenal opening track to the album, gives me goosebumps EVERY time), Not One of Us and On the Air, but guess PG had his reasons. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
Roedelius-"Der Ohren Spiegel" (Multimood). Got this for $4.  I like his early 90's stuff.  Psychoactive classical electro-ambient.

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
- V/A Wired Thoughts (Entropy) - just discovered this amazing 3-CD (*not* CDR) compilation, with many of the usual suspects (Atheus, Grit, Gabriel Le Mar) and others inna definite Echocord/dubbeetekkno vein...quite anticipated.

- AUN Black Pyramid (Cyclic Law) - review copy en route...quite engrossing darkdrone outfit (individual?) who have already released a number of solid discs.

- Klaus Schulze La Vie Electronique 8 - latest edition...2 more left!

- David First 'Resolver' & 'The Good Book's...' - 80s drone artist who just had a 3-disc set (on my list) released on Phill Niblock's XI label...these are 2 very OOP & obscure early discs.
DARREN BERGSTEIN

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Two long-desired items on my 'want list' acquired today, virtually impossible to come by:

- Space Machine Cosmos From Diode Ladder Filter & 2 - Have loved noisemonger Masonna's kosmische courier side project for years but could only enjoy 3 (the only one released domestically), and had been searching for the earlier sides, now en route. :)

And this:

- Pleq Sound of Rebirth - preordered Pleq's newie yesterday; that collab w/Segue on Databloem is in my sights as well, once it's available domestically.
DARREN BERGSTEIN

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
Create-From Earth to Mars.  His second album, on Groove.  Very good.

Roach/Metcalf/Khalsa-Dream Tracker.  Quite a bit better than I expected.  A solid tribal ambient release, nice to hear Roach in tribal mode again.

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
Create-From Earth to Mars.  His second album, on Groove.  Very good.

Roach/Metcalf/Khalsa-Dream Tracker.  Quite a bit better than I expected.  A solid tribal ambient release, nice to hear Roach in tribal mode again.

That Create is a good one—I recently acquired Biospherical Imagery, which is excellent (& completes the Create catalog for me)...Steve Humphries does a particularly good take on tried-and-true Berlin School modes. Dream Tracker also rocks the foundations nicely, as does the recent Nightbloom, every bit as forest-thick & rhythmically diverse.

Just bought in the last day or so (all CD):

- Anders Ilar Stories of Old & Yard DFPRMX • superb new IDM/dubtechno on the YardRecs label. I love Ilar's work, so word of a newie from him was most welcome.
- False Mirror Derelict World (Malignant) & Topografia Genius Loci (Greytone) • as per my note in the F.M. thread...also picked up the Topografia, whose samples of dark-ambient pricked up me ears.
- Stanislav Vdovin Made Of Cloth And Feather (Occasion Records) • little-known Russian artist doing dub atmospherica inna Bvdub/Echocord vein.
- Entheogenic Flight of the Urubus
- Denzel & Huhn Paraport
- The Tivoli vs. Cabaret Voltaire S/T • quite curious about this one, as the Cabs register in a big way around these parts (and have for over 30 years), w/Kirk (the one remaining member) lending his stalwart mixing skills to (de)constructing indie band The Tivoli
- Polska 2nd Rate (Subtle Audio) • new Brit d'n'b, akin to the Bukem style
- Promisk Evolution of Light (Absolute Ambient) • not as spacey/trippy as previous A.A. releases, but samples won me over.
- The Orb w/David Gilmour Metallic Sphere • 'nuf said. :)

Reissues:

- David Bowie Station to Station (3 CD box) • decided to spring for this one...would be nice if the powers-that-be gave Low & Lodger the same treatment.
- Ozric Tentacles Erpland (CD/DVD reissue) • another impulse buy...the packaging & extra DVD sold it, particularly as I'm a pretty die-hard Ozrics enthusiast (still keeping the original CD).
- Miles Davis Bitches Brew 40th Anniversary CD/DVD (Legacy Edition) • already own the (supposedly) Complete Bitches Brew box, but, again, this has a rare DVD performance that pretty much justifies price of admission.

Also attended the Subconscious Records Beyond Festival last week (not a particularly good series of performances), but did grab the Beyond the Vault box, which contains all 7 new Subconscious releases, incl. Download, Plateau, Djoto, Otto von Schirach, Bananasloth, etc...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:04:13 AM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Nightbloom also surprised me and exceeded my expectations.  Roach fans should not pass on either this or Dream Tracker....

Van Halen-first five albums (remaster CD's).  Forget "Jump" and VanHagar, these dudes were the real deal.  Who rocks as hard as classic VH nowadays?? Not many, if at all.

Les Claypool-Live @ GAMH, San Francisco, Vol.2: great live cover of the entire "Animals" album by Pink Floyd.  Sweet!

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »
got these over the last month while being on holiday;

michael prime - borneo
matt shoemaker - spots in the sun, mutable dephts & erosion of the analogous eye
hildur gudnadottir - mount A
celer - panoramic dreams in seldomness
arkhonia - trails / traces
yann novak - relocation. reconstruction
sophie hutchings - becalmed
p. jorgensen - kim (soundtrack remix)

awaiting for its arrival;

hakobune - a yearlong thought
padang food tigers - born music
nadja/aidan baker - white nights/drone fields
steve roach & mark seelig - nightbloom
lars stigler - samarium-cobalt compound impulse-release magnets and linear resistance inputs

and of course looking forward most of all to the new Alio Die's, hopefully this month..!

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
Thomas Köner - Aubrite CD

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Headonist, where you got yourself this hard-to-get Koner disc.
got mine early this year for the best price i could find on the net..

Aubrite might be my favorite Koner disc..