Author Topic: Recent music purchases  (Read 75222 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Recent music purchases
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
Re: Weber box set

I agree, each of the slipcases should have had full-color artwork for each album instead of the big black on white print.  My only complaint about this release.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »
I agree, too, that the lack of color in the Weber box set was a disappointment, though the remastering of the recordings was excellent.  Ironic that Weber's band was called Colours.  I still have the LPs containing the original artwork (another good reason to hang on to my vinyl).

Recently I've been enjoying To Rococo Rot's Speculation, their best in quite a while.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
Future Sound of London-From the Archives Volume 6.  I liked pretty much all of this one immediately, and can't say that for the others, so possibly the best collection yet in this series.

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
Future Sound of London-From the Archives Volume 6.  I liked pretty much all of this one immediately, and can't say that for the others, so possibly the best collection yet in this series.

Oy...another volume? Yet more to keep up on. Oh well - just purchased via Amazon. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:42:41 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »
Two major acquisitions this weekend:

Merzbow Merzbient (Soleilmoon) - 12 CD box set
Absolute Body Control Tapes 81-89 (Daft) - 5 CD box

No chance to play the Merzbow box yet (the ABC is en route)...I admit I picked up this new 'Merzbox' ;) out of curiousity, as the idea of 'ambient Merzbow' (talk about an oxymoron) piqued my interest. Earlier listening to samples revealed that the box is not as ambient you might think this is still, indeed, Merzbow, after all but there does seem to be at least a mitigation of his usual noise assaults. The pieces were scattered over many years (80s-early 90s) and many tapes; as I'm not exactly what you'd call a Merzbow enthusiast (I have maybe 3 discs, a few of which are collabs), I'm hoping this collection will reveal a hitherto unseen side of his character...perhaps a more approachable side...?

Absolute Body Control was Dirk Ivens' first group; he later went on to form Klinik, one of the prime Belgian EBM outfits. ABC created what is now termed 'cold wave': minimal synth/rhythm box pieces with detached vocals and eerie atmospheres, sort of a reductionist electro, with echoes of early Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide, D.A.F., etc. ABC still sounds damn good, even by today's standards, and this new box set is certainly of historical (as well as sonic) note, presaging what is again a 'mini-movement' (small but persistent) in contemporary electronica...what goes around, comes around / everything old is new again, etc., etc. :)

Further snags:

Amongst Myselves Fragments
Analogue Kid Live Science
A Split-Second The Parallax View EP
(remixes)
Asura Life2
Bobby Previte Dull Bang Gushing Sound Human Shriek
(early recording, all electronic)
Boreal Taiga Isopectic Isotac
Daren Keck 7 Years Under
John Ellis Destination Everywhere & Shock of Contact
Galactic Anthems 3 discs
Phil Miller Digging In & Split Seconds
(used to own these, dumped them, reacquired)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:08:15 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »
I agree, too, that the lack of color in the Weber box set was a disappointment, though the remastering of the recordings was excellent.  Ironic that Weber's band was called Colours.  I still have the LPs containing the original artwork (another good reason to hang on to my vinyl).

Yep, is ironic, isn't it?

Also occurred to me that my previous messages above were actually referring to the Arild Andersen box released on ECM, not the Weber, but those observations/criticisms apply to both, as each are produced with similar design aesthetics. I don't have the Weber box, as I already own two of the included discs, but might very well get it anyway, as Yellow Fields isn't particularly easy to come by, and I'm a big ECM nut. Oh, and that Andersen box is superb, and *absolutely* required listening to anyone with the remotest interest in ECM history & avant-jazz-composition.

Recently I've been enjoying To Rococo Rot's Speculation, their best in quite a while.

I agree - another good dose of TRR.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:11:53 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
On the way:

Scott Cortez-Twin Radiant Flux (Line)
False Mirror-Derelict World (Malignant)
Namlook/Montana-Labyrinth (Fax)
Namlook/Rehberg-The Putney (Fax AW reissue)

Bought recently:

Alva Noto-For 2 (Line)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »
More money burning a hole in my pocket:

Krystian Shek-Israfil (Fax) Trancey beaty technoid style Fax (w/some female vox), but I like it.

John Foxx-The Complete Cathedral Oceans (Edsel UK) Already had the three COs but this comes with the DVD of CO3 and a beautiful package of artwork with writing by Foxx.  Awesome music, highly recommended if you don't already have the CO stuff, and also recommended if you do!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:22 AM »
Namlook/Inoue- 2350 Broadway (AW reissue from the 90's, found used).  I had this already on a CDR but such a great album need this on real pressed CD's.  2-disc set, first released in 1993 (first edition was ltd. to 500 and I've never seen one up close that's how rare it is, then reissued around '96 on Fax's reissue sublabel, then again several years ago on an MP3 CD with the second and third chapters of this project), of some of the most outer space, ethereal stuff EVER done, by these two or ANYONE.  Tetsu's Ambiant Otaku and Organic Cloud always get the most attention, and they are great in their own right, but THIS one is just spectacular and criminally under-rated!  The second 2350 Broadway (also 2-disc) was almost as great, followed by a pretty good 3rd release, and quite disappointing 4th (and I believe final) edition a few years ago.       

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
KILLING JOKE-Absolute Dissent.  Original line-up, doing what they do best--creating a cacophony of channeled rage.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »
If you enjoy killing joke see them on tour in USA. They play Montreal Monday .love like blood and war dance are played right at the start.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
They play here in San Francisco on Dec. 11.  So much good video on YouTube, think I'm gonna pass.  My eardrums will be much healthier, too. 

Bought tonight: BLACK DUB (new Daniel Lanois project).  This is an incredible album, all Lanois fans need this!  Great songs, mindblowing musicianship and production as usual for a Lanois record. 

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2010, 07:18:38 AM »
vidnaObmana : 1987-2007 Chasing The Odyssee 8lp box-set

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
Killing Joke play here in San Francisco on Dec. 11.  So much good video on YouTube, think I'm gonna pass.  My eardrums will be much healthier, too.

I'm tired of ignorant rock bands assaulting their audiences with excess volume. I saw KJ in 1981 and it was one of the most irresponsibly loud gigs I've ever seen and I've see and heard plenty. If your music lacks power and authority through the majesty of its content...turn it up to 11 seems to be the motto.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2010, 12:50:48 PM »
LOL...don't you know that if they know they can not play hardly at all, the thing to do is to crank the volume to 11 to drown their lousy playing out so no one will notice their lousy playing:)

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »

I've seen KJ play three times - on the 'Brighter than a Thousands Suns' tour at
Leeds University and on the 'Extremities' and 'Pandemonium' tours at Leeds
Metropolitan University (formerly Leeds poly).

I went to see loads of bands when I was younger and these were three of the most powerful gigs I've ever seen. Geordie
Walker is a hugely under-rated and very powerful guitar player and of course, all of the KJ
incarnations can play, they're not jazz-funk musos, but they certainly know what they're doing.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »
I went to see loads of bands when I was younger and these were three of the most powerful gigs I've ever seen. Geordie Walker is a hugely under-rated and very powerful guitar player and of course, all of the KJ incarnations can play, they're not jazz-funk musos, but they certainly know what they're doing.

I've seen Led Zeppelin and many other great bands with great instrumentalists but the volume is so often inexcusable. The Buzzcocks were the worst. Great show...but even hearing protection failed several people that night. Most rock soundmen are deaf judging by the way they push the upper-mids at concerts. I will say that Prince and Roxy Music knew how to get the volume and live mix right...

KJ's volume in 1981 was not OK! If you listen to those first two LPs at comfortable volume you can still get the dense quality without tinnitus!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »
Well, I certainly wouldn't say KJ's music lacks power and authority.  They like to play loud (and I like to listen to them loud)--doesn't bother me one bit.  So the reasoning that only bands with little talent play loud falls on "deaf" ears here.  I will admit the worst bands I ever saw live were opening acts with absolutely no talent for writing a song, singing, or playing an instrument, which was even worse when they played it loud.  Had it been played quietly it still would've been awful.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I'm one of those people who used to lay in the bass bins at motorhaed gigs in the 70's.....

can't really say I could hear it as music - though I enjoyed it immensely.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »
Just ordered/en route:

Create-We Live By the Machines (Groove)
Alio Die/Grassow-Praha Meditations (HSL)
Alio Die/Zeit-new one on HSL