Author Topic: Halo  (Read 1410 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Halo
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
Any of you gamers out there keeping up with the Halo video game franchise? I was a huge fan of the first three, but skipped ODST which seemed like a cash-in to me, and was prepared to skip Reach on the same grounds. But now I'm reading reviews that make Reach sound like a true installment in the series, really just Halo 4 under another name (though it's a prequel), and I'm thinking about giving in.

Anybody keeping up with Halo?  The series is really the only reason I purchased an Xbox and 360.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: Halo
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Big fan here. I've picked up Reach, but have only had time to play a few minutes into the campaign so far. Seems promising, though, and it's quite pretty to look at.

You didn't really miss much by skipping ODST.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
Just bought Reach but have not had time to play it.  ODST was not good but friends I know who have played Reach really like it.

matthew

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »
It's so odd, to me Halo 2 and Halo 3 where not very good. I was dissapointed in those as Halo is probably my all time favourite video game.

I was never a big fan of the Brutes as enemies and dual wielding was also not very good. It destroyed the fine balance between plasma and bullet weapons, shielded and armoured enemies. I also didn't like the direction the story took, very convoluted and English speaking enemies...urgh...

I am a big fan of stories that exist only to get the game moving (portal, half life, unreal, halo) and give you a sense of purpose. The real story in FPS games are the environment changes, how encounters are handled, ebb and flow of action and non action parts..all in my opinion of course ; )

ODST took a big step back towards the original Halo, a good step. It re-established the "slow charging shield", health packs, single wielding weapons and it introduced a sense of mystery back to the series. In fact, I think ODST is the best Halo game since the first one. Well, until Reach came along of course because Reach REALLY is like the original Halo. Those fantastic Elite's are back and some of the vista's make me wish for a Reach engine enabled Halo remake.