Author Topic: Eventide Eclipse gain levels  (Read 5701 times)

Numina

• View Profile
Eventide Eclipse gain levels
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
This is the one piece of gear I have the worst trouble with ground hum.  Could those of you who have an Eclipse please post your in/out level settings for ALL analog ins/outs including "IN GAIN" + "OUT GAIN" AND the "ANLG LVL" + "MSTR OUT".  So four different values of audio levels is what I'm interested in here.  If I set all this to simply zero I just get terrible hum and it doesn't matter if it's with balanced or unbalanced cables, in or out of the rack, and I've tried it with different gear.  Now, if I lower the in & out gain I can all but eliminate the hum but I'm not used to having to do this with my Lexicon gear.

Looking forward to seeing your levels!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Eventide Eclipse gain levels
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
You get hum no matter what patch?

I've had FX units that will generate hum out of nowhere depending on the program, especially patches with lots of feedback.

I don't have an Eclipse, just making sure your problem is the same no matter what patch you use.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
As long as there's a 1/4" cable connected to the input I get a hum. And I've tested this from completely isolated conditions.  Of course every patch then has the effect "active" because the hum simply exists.  Like with long reverb patches I have a droney hum - it's not loud, but I couldn't ever use it in the mix because you'd certainly hear it if there were no audio signal present - or upon fade out of the effect it would then evolve into the hum effect.  

If I adjust the "IN GAIN" down to -10 then it sounds about normal and I can still get a good strong signal out of the Eclipse.  So, that is good, but I'm just not used to doing that with other effects units - if anything I often have to increase the gain a few db.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
in a few months I have the H8000fw :)
From what I haev heard the Eclipse is of course cheaper then h8000fw
but I have heard nothing convincing about it..

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
I used to have one but can't remember that happening and I used it all the time, sound like contacting Eventide support may well be in your future.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »
in a few months I have the H8000fw :)
From what I haev heard the Eclipse is of course cheaper then h8000fw
but I have heard nothing convincing about it..

What's to be convinced about?

Its a great high-end effects processor with killer horsepower and sounds. It actually contains all of the algorithms from the older H3000's, the main difference is that unlike the other units in the eventide line, the algos are not editable. You can edit sounds and parameters, but cannot write, edit and rearrange algos, so it is not as open ended as the 8000 & 7600. Yes there is some sonic difference and the unit was primarily developed with guitarists in mind, but other than that its a pretty smoking little box. Other than an older TC Fireworx, there really is no other similarly priced effects box on the market the covers the same ground as the Eclipse.

Sure the H8000FW dwarfs it by comparison, but its kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a Mercedes, one may be superior, but both rock.

Hope you figure out your issues Jesse,

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »
I know this is supposed to be ultra-dangerous and foolhardy and such
but if the box has a 3-prong plug, try using a "cheater" 3rd prong isolator
and see if it helps. I've had to do that with my Moogs, other sundry devices
and the laptop I'm typing this on. The hum evaporates.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »
I probably should have done this before complaining here but I took the Eclipse and moved it into a spare
bedroom and set it up and I am happy to say that I'm not experiencing the hum - only what I consider to be normal hiss. So, that's the good news. But what am I gonna do about using the Eclipse in the studio? I know there are hum eliminators but would that affect the sound? Also it annoys me that the highest price thing in my studio is the one item that is having an apparent ground loop issue.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
Paul - I know you can't rearrange algorhythms in the patch but don't you just "steal" a unique algorhythm structure sequence from one of the presets? (With the idea that there are all the algo chains possible from the H3000.)

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
Is the H8000 *really* worth $5,000+? The prices on that are just astounding to me.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
I know there are hum eliminators but would that affect the sound?

It depends upon which hum eliminator you are using, the good one basically try to lift the cable so your equipment doesn't try to use that cable as a ground for your studio. Of course you may find the hum pops up somewhere else as you are not really dealing with the real issue, ie bad grounding.

The H8000 is something like 4 eclipses in one box. And its worth the money if you want to create stuff from scratch, not patches but complete effects from the ground up. As for the eclipse not being convincing, tell that to Steve Roach, he has one in his studio. I know of another ambient artist who bought an H8000 and exchanged it for an eclipse as he felt it was too much for him to deal with. Personally I would love to have an H8000 but would happily take an eclipse any day of the week.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
Loren - being that the hum is only apparent with the Eclipse I think I should just focus on that - what hum eliminator do you recommend I look into?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:01 AM »
I can't say, I've never had to used one. The last time I had hum problems was before I went balanced, going to balanced cables and carefully managing my grounding took care of my hum problems. I'd look them over and read how they go about removing hum.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:30 AM »
My old house had crappy wiring, and I had a couple of Morley hum eliminators on equipment that gave me problems.  Interestingly, some devices didn't need them, but my Yamaha S80 had terrible problems, and one of my FX units (maybe TC M2000?).

I just looked up "hum eliminator" on Musician's Friend and the models I had were "Ebtech, by Morley"

I'd say before you go buying extra stuff like that, make sure your grounding issues are addressed, and try balanced cables between that device the the mixer.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »
Jesse - Did you try that 3rd prong isolation suggestion?  (Does it even have a 3rd prong?)

Another good trick to try is making a pair of special cables with the ground attached only on one end.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
I
The H8000 is something like 4 eclipses in one box. And its worth the money if you want to create stuff from scratch, not patches but complete effects from the ground up. As for the eclipse not being convincing, tell that to Steve Roach, he has one in his studio. I know of another ambient artist who bought an H8000 and exchanged it for an eclipse as he felt it was too much for him to deal with. Personally I would love to have an H8000 but would happily take an eclipse any day of the week.  :)

I would very much agree with this statement, I mean wow the H8000 is one hell of a box and it took quite a bit of saving and also selling all of my other outboard effects to get this one. Was/is it worth it? Yes and no, it sounds great and does a lot, it is a true sound designer's dream, but I also had stunning results with my Eclipse and it was 10x easier to use and more instantly gratifying. The one thing I keep the H8K for is the fact that it is 2 stereo real time processors in one box.

My dream is to take a week off and spend the who time digging into the H8k and seeing what it can do, VS just tweaking of presets.

Sound wise its great and its reverbs are almost up to Lexicon PCM series & TC quality, but I can also get really similar results by chainging PSP and Sound Toys plug ins, but I cannot play through those live as easily.

Paul

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
Scott - not sure I understand this 3-prong thing you're talking about - do you mean at the a/c? Like get an adapter that ignores the center (3rd) grounding pin?

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
Scott - not sure I understand this 3-prong thing you're talking about - do you mean at the a/c? Like get an adapter that ignores the center (3rd) grounding pin?

Yes that's exactly it. It's usually worth trying and you can probably get one at a local hardware store.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »

Yes that's exactly it. It's usually worth trying and you can probably get one at a local hardware store.

Yeah but that's not a solution, it just tells you what the problem is, that you have a ground loop problem and that the eclipse is one of the ground points.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
Agree.  A good temporary solution then?  If that is the problem (grounding hum).