Author Topic: VST / soft synth remote keyboard question  (Read 3481 times)

Numina

• View Profile
VST / soft synth remote keyboard question
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:15:07 AM »
So, all the talk about VSTs got me rolling on setting up my laptop as my soft synth computer - it's a newer ASUS, 4 GB RAM, 3.00 ghz speed.  I have an older M-Audio Radium USB remote keyboard which is working, but there is about a 0.5 sec delay from when I press a note and the sound is triggered.  (I'm using that VSTHost program that was recommended by Phobos).  My question is, I assume that the speed between playing a note and triggering a sound within the computer is vastly improved with modern remote keyboards, but I hate to go out and buy one and discover the lag has not changed. So, what's the scoop? Should I upgrade my old Radium or is it something else?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: VST / soft synth remote keyboard question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
Turn down the buffer to a lower number and see how it works, it sounds like you have it at the max amount. I would try around 64 samples.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
Are you using a soundcard? If so, check your computer's audio options (and the VST's audio options) to make sure you're using the right (and latest) audio driver for it. (ASIO ideally). You should be able to get your latency down to 5 to 18 milliseconds.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »
I agree 1/2 second delay is unreasonable no matter what age the keyboard controller.  Probably a driver/setup issue.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Kaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »
I don't know anything about the Radium's possible own midi interface but here's a general tip that might help if the problem persists. If you're using the internal sound card that came with the computer, you could try replacing the driver you're using with a universal asio driver called asio4all: http://www.asio4all.com/. Then you'll just have to define Asio4all as the driver in your host program and try to put the latency down (smaller ms or buffer number).

Also, you might want to give a more powerful host program a try in the future. Reaper ( http://reaper.fm) is one worth recommending, especially since you can try the fully functioning program for free as long as you like before deciding to purchase it (60 bucks, I think) or ditching it.

Best,
Kaarinen

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Yep, check that you are using an ASIO or WME driver for the card, not the Windows MME mode (which is probably what you are in). You will probably find you can switch between these modes if you installed the drivers for the Radium.

Once you switch to ASIO the delay from keypress to sound should seem immediate.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
OK, a few things.  Installed ASIO 4 All - how do I switch over to it? Via Device Mangler?  I did not see a buffer setting in the VSTHost program.  I downloaded Reaper - nice interface - but I can not seem to be able to install any of the free VSTs I downloaded (which I can load with the VSTHost program).  I also loaded the new driver for the Radium (prior to my post about the lag) so the latest should be installed.

Kaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
Hi,

AFAIK, you should switch to Asio4all in the host program's audio device setup. I unfortunately cannot help you find that in VSThost since I have not used it myself.

In reaper, is your problem that Reaper does not show any of the VSTs or that they don't work? It could be that the VST folder has not been set (it's the one where the program searches for any VST intstruments/effects on the computer). You can find this in Reaper from Options->preferences->plugins->VST and then selecting the plug-in path*.

Regarding asio in reaper, you can find the driver and latency settings in Options->preferences->Audio-> device. Select ASIO and try what happens. There's probably a asio configuration setting in the same page, which has latencies/buffers listed for selection.

Hope this helps,
Kaarinen

*vsts are .dll files, and they're often installed to the same folder, like Reaper\plugins, or the like. In this case, it could be that they are in separate folders created by the VSTs you have installed. You can add all of them separately as plug-in paths in reaper if you want to.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
Never mind - I'm not as stupid as I thunk I is.  Got most of this working... faster response from M-Audio and VSTs in Reaper.  I like this Reaper interface.  Good suggestions.  I only wish I could jump into a wave edit mode.  That is why I really like Adobe Audition.

Kaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Ok, good to hear that it's working. By the way, you can set up an external wave editor to work with reaper. Just go to preferences-->external editors and add Audition. Then, when you double-click on an audio file, it opens up in that editor.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
Jesse,
When you open up VST HOST along the top of the screen you will see a list of menus, click on  Devices, and then Wave, you will then get a window where you can select drivers for in and out and select buffer size. :)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
I just got around to trying out Reaper over the weekend and have been very impressed with it, especially the speed with which it renders a mix with the effects included.  I've been using Fruity Loops 8 as a VSTi host, and prefer it to some of the smaller apps I've tried as hosts.  

Didn't care for ASIO4All too much; it seems to slow down the latency when I had to increase the buffer to avoid glitches.  Found a relatively inexpensive USB Audio interface from TEAC (US122 MKII), that has a pretty decent ASIO driver that works with Reaper just fine.

Forrest

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
Thanks guys!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
One interesting bit of trivia I just learned recently:  the creator of Reaper also created Winamp and Gnutella.

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Reaper is excellent, and a good price. I've been using it since it began.
Switched from Sonar.
Has some nice skins too. Can pretty much look however you want it too.
Fast and stable (on Windows).
Very good routing options.
And nice that you can record anything into a given track ... midi or audio.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
ASIO4ALL is handy as an asio driver when no other is available, but I don't think it's really a substitute for the driver actually designed for a particular interface. It will lack efficiency.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk