Author Topic: Sheeba ?-9/18/2010  (Read 1734 times)

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Sheeba ?-9/18/2010
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »

Sheeba was rescued in 2006.  She had been abandoned in a mobile home by a bunch of idiots, where the only thing left for her and another dog was a bag of deer corn.  When they were both rescued, they had heart worms, and most of their teeth were broken.  Sheeba survived the heart worms, the other dog didn't.  Sheeba was taken in by a man who was a truck driver, and she spent many happy years travelling in the cab.  As time went on, Sheeb came down with hip dysplasia.  The trucker got married to a woman with two children.  The two children proved to be too much for Sheeba.  Not at the fault of the children, but Sheeba was in constant pain and needed a more relaxed environment.

This is were I came in.  Sheeba was staying at our vet's kennel.  She was too sick to return home, but too well to be put down.  Our vet's assistant asked me if I could provide a "Hospice" situation for Sheeba.  A quite place, with lots of room, and other docile dogs to hang out with.  Sheeba had a difficult time getting around, primarily sitting or lying down, and she only had a few teeth left.  She needed daily medication, and had a regular eating schedule.  I took her in and my dogs were very receptive to Sheeba. 

I had never had a Siberian Huskie before.  They are quite vocal.  When it was time to eat, "BARK!."  If it was four in the morning and she needed to go out, "BARK!"  If you were eating and she wanted you to share "BARK!"  Often more than one bark, and very loud.  The best thing about Sheeba was that every time I would pet her, she would put her head in my hand and give me a big "Oh thank you" look.  She was with us for four months.  Friday night, as the vet had warned me, she laid down and could not get up.  I got her some sedatives so she could sleep through the night, but she continued to whimper until she finally went to sleep around 2am.  The next morning, she was pretty much gone.  Our vet came to our house and put her sleep.

If any one out there reads this and is considering adopting a dog, consider the old and abandoned ones.  No one knew how old Sheeba was, and she instantly accept her new home with us.  The short time we spent was very valuable, and even though she was only with us for a few months, she will be as missed as any other dog or cat we have had.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Sheeba ?-9/18/2010
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
It takes a special family to bring a special dog like Sheeba into their home and their lives. 

My condolences on losing Sheeba, and my happiness for her having 4 good months with a family that cared about her.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
That's great that you took her in, Wayne. I'm in and out of vet clinics and shelters every day and see lots of older dogs and cats in need of homes. There is a man I see quite often who adopts nothing but older dogs. He usually has four or five living with him at a given time. He says that he is to old to deal with a puppy and mature dogs give him the laid back company he wants. There are lots of pets in the shelters whose owners have died or become to ill to care for them. Many shelters will give help with veterinary care to offset the cost of the care of these pets. I'm glad there are people like you willing to take them in.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
You sweet person, Wayne!  :)

I'm sorry you didn't get to have Sheeba around for very long, but it sounds like you gave her a very caring, comfortable, peaceful & loving home to retire in, (and it sounds like she was very happy there, so good job to you!)

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss Wayne.
It was a wonderful thing that you did for Sheeba and I admire you for it.
Peace, Kirk

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:55 PM »
Farewell to Sheeba.

And nice job, Wayne.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:57 AM »

Sorry for your loss Wayne, well done for looking after her.