Author Topic: Ambient with singing bowls?  (Read 1927 times)

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
Ambient with singing bowls?
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Anyone got any ideas?

I have only heard one so far: Deuter - "Nada Himalaya". Really enjoyed this one.

Not sure about the use of singing bowls in "Terraform" by Roach & Nerell. It sounds like it, but I can't say for sure. Could possibly be some other instrument.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
Re: Ambient with singing bowls?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
Oh what the fuck, I'm just gonna buy me a set of singing bowls and make my own drones  ;D

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »
Almost any release with Klaus Wiese.  My favorite of his is his Tibetan bowls-only release, Uranus.

Forrest

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
Thanks man!

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
Deuter's sequel Nada Himalaya 2 is also good- shorter tracks and a bit darker mood compared with the first one.  Matthias Grassow uses them from time to time I'm pretty sure.   His album Emerald features singing bowls on a couple long tracks. 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
Singing bowls are great for ambient, both calm and more noisy.

play around with reverb and delay etc.

one of the best noises I got from my bowls was by swirling at high speed one end of those small tibetan cymbals (two cymbals joined by a thong) around the inside of the bowl....not for the faint hearted :o...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Much of Mathias Grassow's catalog has them, usually sourced from Klaus Wiese.  Anything by Wiese is also recommended.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
Almost any release with Klaus Wiese.  My favorite of his is his Tibetan bowls-only release, Uranus.

Forrest

This sounds great, but hard to find! I looked at both Amazon and Discogs. No mailorders around that still have it?

Blackinfinity

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »
Oophoi use a lot..but Klaus Wise is of course the mastermind when it comes to using sining bowls in ambient music...
Halo Manash use some in their later releases.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:32 AM »
Every once in a while, I'll browse Amazon's mp3 section for cheap ambient albums (tracks are usually sold at $0.99 each, even if they're 70+ minutes long). Most of the time, these are cheaply made, simplistic recordings, but I'll occasionally find a few gems.

Recently discovered this album made entirely with singing bowls: http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Bowls/dp/B00171GPSW/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1285859529&sr=301-1. Despite the new-agey vibes the name and artwork give off, it's pretty pure ambient. Quite tasty.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:58:25 AM »
Klaus is the unsurpassed master of singing bowls space music, all his albums are true masterpieces in this field which set new standards for this kind of "instrument".
But let me spend a word about english percussionist extraordinaire Frank Perry, his private collection of singing bowls cds are outstanding; then I'd say the Henry Wolff saga.
These artists are light years beyond all the others.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
Klaus is the unsurpassed master of singing bowls space music, all his albums are true masterpieces in this field which set new standards for this kind of "instrument".
But let me spend a word about english percussionist extraordinaire Frank Perry, his private collection of singing bowls cds are outstanding; then I'd say the Henry Wolff saga.
These artists are light years beyond all the others.

Your Album Forgotten Rituals are especially a good demonstration of how good singing bowls sound..they sound amazing.
I really would like to buy some myself...but it is not on my top priority list..
Singing bowls are also rather expensive, of course they exist in all prices in varied quality...
if you are lucky you can find a good one for cheap money.. but we are still talking about many hundreds of dollars...
and in some cases thousands.

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
thanks Terraform, Forgotten Rituals is full of different layers from three singing bowls, two cheap (around 30-40$ each) one expensive (300$); the real bowls from Tibet are impossible to find, Klaus owned hundreds of them, all originals from Tibet, with gold inside. Now the market is flooded by fake bowls from India, Nepal, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and China. You can still find some good bowls, if you know how to choose them. My advice is: don't spend too much money for the bowls, try them before buying, it is easy to understand if a bowl is good or not. And then the mallets too are very important to extract a good sound. I can provide you with some contacts of european dealers, there you can find good sounding bowls for reasonable prices. Please use my personal address: deeplistenings@tin.it