Author Topic: Famous musicians you've run into in the unlikeliest places!  (Read 2644 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Famous musicians you've run into in the unlikeliest places!
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »
Like me, you've probably met some famous musicians over the years of going to shows, record signings, or in-store appearances  Most I've met were of course at concert halls, backstage, outside venues, etc.  Anybody run into musicians in a place where you least expected to ever see them?

Over the weekend I was in a tiny record store in San Mateo, CA (SF Bay Area) when in walks Dave Murray (guitarist) of Iron Maiden!  I've been a huge Maiden fan for 30 years, and this was totally surreal.  Turns out he was visiting some family here.  Not having any IM discs in my car, I re-bought their "Powerslave" CD, which he graciously signed.  I acted like a teenage fanboy, gushing superlatives at this metal guitar god. 

So let's hear your brushes with greatness (in the unlikeliest of places)!     

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Famous musicians you've run into in the unlikeliest places!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
Kate Bush in a record store - I was carefully choosing an album, she had a shopping trolley full of them.

Throbbing Gristle in a kebab shop...

I was too busy being nonchalent to actually speak to them ;D

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
Paul McCartney at E-Live festival back in, I think, 1997 or 1998... I bumped into him, said "I know you, you´re Mick Jagger, aren´t you!"... he thought that was funny, especially since he wanted to remain anonymous.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
Andy Summers at a video store in Venice California, right after the Police had broken up. He had just moved here to do some film work, pretty nice guy actually.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:59:12 AM »
Mojo Nixon in First Avenue in the early 90's.  He was at the urinal next to me, and would NOT stop talking while we peed.  If he wasn't so funny, it would have been creepy...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
Simon King - drummer for Hawkwind - in Portabello Road. He'd just been kicked out of Hawkwind and I was too stoned to give him sympathy.... :'( :-[

edentropy

• holy mountaineer
    • View Profile
    • Eddie Entropy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:39:25 PM »
Alex Hacke from Neubauten at a barbeque joint at 3am in Minneapolis.  It was after their show at First Avenue, we went over to his table and got a CD signed, he was quite pleasant especially considering that it was the wee hours of the morning and my party and I were two sheets to the wind on a variety of substances (this was pre-sobriety days for me).

When I worked at a record store in Washington state, I met Elliot Smith about three months before he passed.  More in our genre, Sol Stokes used to be a regular at the store and put his CDs on consignment, a really pleasant guy.  Death Cab For Cutie would consign their cassette tapes there too, well before they broke.

I've taught yoga to the guitar player from Arcwelder too.  His wife was a regular student of mine and he'd come along when he had the chance.
as it is, so be it

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:01 PM »
I manged to get a pass into NAMM in Anaheim back in the early 80s before it was open to the public and took a leak next to Neal Schon of Journey.

Wound up sitting at a small table with bassist Jimmy Johnson(James Taylor/Allan Holdsworth) at Catalina B&G Jazz Club in Hollywood, almost didn't make it do to heavy traffic on Sunset.

Andy Summers stumbled by me a little smashed with his girlfriend in tow on his way out of the old Catalina  B&G on Cahuenga in Hollywood.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »
Like me, you've probably met some famous musicians over the years of going to shows, record signings, or in-store appearances  Most I've met were of course at concert halls, backstage, outside venues, etc.  Anybody run into musicians in a place where you least expected to ever see them?

Over the weekend I was in a tiny record store in San Mateo, CA (SF Bay Area) when in walks Dave Murray (guitarist) of Iron Maiden!  I've been a huge Maiden fan for 30 years, and this was totally surreal.  Turns out he was visiting some family here.  Not having any IM discs in my car, I re-bought their "Powerslave" CD, which he graciously signed.  I acted like a teenage fanboy, gushing superlatives at this metal guitar god. 

So let's hear your brushes with greatness (in the unlikeliest of places)!     

DAve Murreay of IM. Right On. Huge IM fan myself. From one extreme to the other. I have met Edgar Frose 3 times now. No not at a record shop or starbucks or anything like that. Last 3 times I flew over to Europe to see Tangerine Dream play live (2008-2010) and one time here at UCLA in 2008. Just fan meet and greet. Also got to hangout wth the King and bandmates afterwards for drinks in the bar. Edgar does not drink anymore. Nor does he partake in anything else anymore either. He is a vegan these days. A very nice and cool dude. I grew up in the seventies listening to TD. One of my heroes.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
Ran into Styx in the Spokane airport.   :o

Those are some strange looking guys - like they've been embalmed or something.   :-\
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
They WERE embalmed.  I think during the shooting of the "Mr. Roboto" video back in the 80's!

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
Those are some strange looking guys - like they've been embalmed or something.

Ha ha, that's exactly what I thought about the Rolling Stones from up close, (Keith Richards in particular.)  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:06:43 AM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
I met Bono just after he purchased a $180,000 emerald broach from a downtown Denver shopping center. Got his autograph but he took the sharpie!

Stewart Copeland looking at a Borders at 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. He was looking at books next to me while I was staring at a picture of him on a cover of a magazine while sumiltaneously looking at him in real life. He looked exactly the same as the photo shoot on the mag - black turtle neck, and his trademark hair and glasses. Coincidentally, the Police had played Denver the night before. I should have asked how it went.

Met my heroes at the time the Cocteau Twins... I was working at a watch shop called Time's Up at a mall (the same downtown Denver mall as Bono's visit).... I had my back to the counter people watching and I heard someone at the counter... I turned around and Robin Guthrie was at the counter and bought a Timex Indiglo. I was all fanboy and saying how I was looking forward to the show that night... About an hour later Simon Raymond and Elizabeth Frasier walk by and bought some Native American jewelry.

Met Ronny Moorings (Xymox) in St. Paul.... The band had forgotten their a/c power chord for their Juno-106. Everyone knew I had one so I had to drive back over to Minneapolis (where I lived at the time) for it.... It's the most famous power chord in my studio! :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:22:45 AM by Numina »

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
Oh! And I met Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) at a night club in Denver in the mid-90s. He was wasted! I ended up walking back with him to his hotel with his bodyguard, and a very slutty hooker (and she wasn't with me!). He invited me up to his room to party if I "knew a good joke"... I couldn't come up with one... As it turns out, I missed out on quite an experience as Martin was arrested and booked in to Denver County Jail that night for disturbing the peace. His mugshot was in the newspaper the next day. Not surprised though. He was absolutely shitfaced. I can't believe he was able to sing the following night at their show.  Oh, and the other kicker to the story is the person who called the cops on Martin's noise was a client of my stepdad's boss. Weird.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:32:24 AM by Numina »