Author Topic: CDs/Records you paid most for and the one you paid least for  (Read 5327 times)

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
CDs/Records you paid most for and the one you paid least for
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:44:56 AM »
State of Bengal - Visual Audio CD 0,7 euro

The Orb -  Orblivion CD 1,4 euro

Arzachel - Arzachel CD 1,5 euro

---------------

Ozric Tentacles - Curious Corn LP 35 euro

Amon Düül II - Yeti Japan Mini LP CD 35 euro

Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemminge Japan Mini LP CD 35 euro

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: CDs/Records you paid most for and the one you paid least for
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
Least?  Hard to say...  I have a ton of crap I got for free.   ;D

Most?  Again, hard to say...  but I know I spent $100 on the "Beyond Logic, Beyond Belief" LP by Nocturnal Emissions when it came out in the early 90's.  I had no money then, so I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking...   ::)
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:25 PM »
Tough question... I know I've found wonderful things in cutout and used bins for 50 cents or a $1 - back in the 80's / early 90's when I was buying vinyl.

I also remember going to record conventions at hotels - or making trips to Chicago or St. Louis record stores and finding those long sought after albums...  I think I paid quite a bit for Japan, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Cabaret Voltaire VHS tapes.   I know I paid around $10 or $15 for a couple of 45's...  don't remember who... most likely Depeche Mode, Cabaret Voltaire, or Japan / Sylvian - as that's who I mostly "collected". 

I know I've paid $30 for a 12" single before - but of course - way way back in the day.

My iPod is full of netlabel releases - which are generally free.

John
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:29:45 AM »
I paid £35 for vinyl TG bootleg in the 70's....and I don't see it on Discogs ot anywhere.

Unfortunately it was nicked, along with my Hawkwind rarities by an ex girlfriend....

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
least: some free promotional stuff

most: Dean DeCosta - Diminishing Returns (Mosaic Special Edition) -- I had been looking for that particular records for years, so it didn't matter that much when I had paid ~30€ for it.
http://www.discogs.com/Dean-DeCosta-Diminishing-Returns/release/64625

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »
I can´t remember paying much for CDs, I think the most expensive CD I bought must have been some Coil stuff. I paid a lot for some rare Kraftwerk vinyl 12"s when I was still collecting records... I think it must have been a French "Mini Calculateur" 12", or possibly the red-vinyl "Mensch-Maschine" album.

A real steal was Moebius´"Mirror of Infinity" album which I bought on a fleamarket back in the 1990s. The first album to feature Steve Roach, and the expression on his face was priceless when I showed it to him some years ago.

Stephen

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
My most expensive CD purchase was an autographed copy of Brian Eno's Discreet Music during KPFA's Brian Eno Day ($125).  He was live on the air, which was cool.  It was worth it (to me, at least).

Forrest

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
I bought a ton of "Ultra Rare Trax" bootlegs in the 90s for $30-35 each. I think I might've purchased a double-CD Kraftwerk boot for $50. I ended up selling most of those bootlegs later (after thinking what a dope I was for wasting so much money) for more than I paid for them.

I special-ordered a Japanese import of the soundtrack to "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" which was $35 or so.  Still a great album, and hard to find. Speaking of Ryuichi Sakamoto, I think I paid at least $30 for my copy of "Esperanto" which is very cool and very strange.

I've never been one to pay mega-money for collectibles.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
I think I paid abot $30 for Brian Eno's Bell Studies For The Clock of The Long Now. I didn't care much for it, so I never paid very much for any other cd's. I used to pay a lot for import lp's back in the '70's and wait for what seemed like ages for them to arrive from across the pond. I remember paying something like $25 for Traffic's On The Road import lp. It was a double album as opposed to the US release which was a single lp. $25 was really a lot of money for an album back inthe '70's for me.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
Joy division- closer lp cloth bound edition circa 1981-$35-still have it
Kraftwerk cd bootleg-$40-sold it
Fax CDs the 500 copies versions circa 1994-$35-still have them

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:05:06 AM »
Paid $100 for The Sun and the Moon "The Great Escape" CD (ex-Chameleons) via evilBay. 

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
Well, if by "least" paid for, I take that to mean the bargains found over time. That certainly is an exhaustive list, as years haunting the bargain bins of stores, flea markets, & record shows would attest.

Two more coin sides: one of the simple joys of record shopping is finding that elusive disc, made further enjoyable by finding it at an extremely cheap price. Some examples that come to mind (and, again, there are simply too many to recount):

- the very obscure (and then rare, later reissued) mid 90s IDM classic by Radioactive Lamb @ Other Music in NYC for $2.99

- Sergio Cervetti's The Hay Wain for $3 (at a long since closed) NYC shop

There are countless others.

More expensive is easier answered, because it doesn't happen often, mostly due to the fact that I patently refuse to shell out the ridiculous prices (mostly on ebay) that is commanded by a generally fickle and wholly mythical market rubric. A few of the pricier items were the first Datacide on Pod Communications for $65, the first I disc, Tinned Music (also Pod), for $55, perhaps the odd Fax disc here and there for $50. I believe that Datacide was the most expensive I ever decided to shell for (although I just recently paid $60 for the first disc by obscure Aussie electronic group Cybotron, not to be confused with the Juan Atkins techno project, which is about impossible to find).

Frankly, I cannot fathom those who would willingly shell out upwards of $100, $150 or even higher (which stretches credulity) for *any* CD, I don't care what it is, unless you're independently wealthy and money is simply paper. (And, as we've all seen, some of that early Fax stuff has gone for upwards of $300 or $400, which is insane.) Forgetting the collector's jones that occasionally strikes (guilty as charged :) ), I can't justify such ludicrous prices (I hasten to call them "investments", as the "market" for such titles/artists/labels is always in flux) for recordings that more often than not are hardly worth those extreme dollars.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
I think that willingness to pay more than $100 for anything raises some interesting questions about perceived value.  Is a vacation or an electronic device that sets you back several hundred or even several thousand dollars worth the value?  I find it easier to justify paying that for something that is more in the nature of a one-of-a-kind, such as a painting.  Wouldn't shell out that kind of dough for the latest tech gizmo or even the latest piece of cool software, though.

Forrest

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:24:36 AM »
Another category - most you ever got when selling an album.  I sold Muslimgauze's "Islamaphobia" 2xCD for $350.00 on eBay; it was re-released by Soleilmoon a couple months later, for $20.   ;D
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »
I think I sold a Metallica 3" Cd-single on E-bay for almost $90.  Actually, come to think of it, several of my highest-dollar CD sales were 3" singles, probably because they were so unpopular when they came out. Very few copies exist so people would pay $50 and up.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »
I got € 210 for Porcupine Tree - In Absentia 2LP, on ebay of course, what else :)

Kaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:11 AM »
Hi,

Just ordered Michael Stearns's Planetary Unfolding LP (continuum montage), second hand for 35$. This is simply the best space ambient release ever :). Then again, after checking whether the  maxi single version of DJ Krush's Meiso is still available somewhere, there was a dozen copies in Discogs, and I got mine for like 4$. If you haven't listened to it, the DJ Shadow mix of Meiso from this single is a track that I really, really recommend to all none hip hop oriented people as well ( ). I never thought I'd be this hyped up about a track with rap in it ;).

Best,
Kaarinen