Author Topic: Who's using a Preamp (outboard hardware) in their synth signal chain?  (Read 13283 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Who's using a Preamp (outboard hardware) in their synth signal chain?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
I wonder how many people use "studio montors" that say Dell, Logitech, or HP on them?  ;)

I think it's perfectly reasonable to work on headphones, as long as they're decent quality (not the white ones that came with your iPod).  I'd still play reference discs on other speakers just to cross-check the sound, but I think it's do-able.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I take it you fit my description ?    ;D
Unfortunately, your description is of my studio. I have long neglected the recording end of things, but always look for the best, most interesting musical instruments. I think a lot of it is because I can sit in the studio and just play around on my instruments and have a great time, where I can't say the same for playing with a compressor, pre-amp or pair of monitors. Besides the recording end tends to frustrate me where the instruments don't.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
I use SONY earbuds.  Just kidding.  I'm A/B'ing mixes between SONY MDR-7506's and Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros (I primarily use the Beyer's).   I then periodically play back my current mix via the M-Audios, and when I think I'm complete I'll burn it to CDR and playback on the stereo, and a discman and/or iPod to make sure things sound like where I want them to be.

I don't know why people diss the M-Audio monitors.  I find the Mackies disturbingly tight.  At least the short time I had with a pair - they were incredibly fatiguing to me.  Not saying I could do better on monitors, I know I could, but not sure I like the HR824s.  Haven't heard much good on the Adam A7s either.  The M-Audios have, what I call, a slightly sloppy bass end, but not that bad at all, plus I would consider many consumer level speakers to be more bass heavy and I find I compensate my low end rather well because of this.  Plus, they sound kick-ass when I play other music through them.

If I ran a studio and did this full time it would be a much different story... for what it's worth, and to make me seem cooler, I had planned on abandoning any further synth purchases with plans of really spending a nice chunk of money of a few different studio pieces, but joblessness and hearing loss threw that idea down the hatch.  I am planning to rely on 3rd party people for mastering (or otherwise help me fine tune the final mix) of my tracks from now on - although I do wish I could afford to submit individual stems, but that just starts to get too pricey.  Sigh.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
I have no sound treatment, 90% of everything I record and track is via headphones, I have no pre-amp, tube eqs, etc. my studio is located in an unfinished basement, and I use M-Audio BX-8 monitors.

Well obviously, you'll never be able to make a good album Jesse!  

Said with tongue so firmly in cheek that it's starting to bleed!   ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:18:48 PM by Scott M2 »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
I agree, Jesse -- all kinds of studio monitors have problems. I have the Mackies and while I like many things about them, they have some weird characteristics as well.

I also agree M-Audio gear is usually better than people think. Just because it's less expensive doesn't mean it's junk.

And I have a pair of Sony 7506 headphones that I've used for lots of projects, going back to the earliest recordings for Sudden Dark, the mastering jobs for most Hypnos releases, and everything up to tracking for Infinite In All Directions.  They're starting to fall apart a little around the ear cushions but I'll buy new ones if they finally disintegrate.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »
Said with tongue so firmly in cheek that it's starting to bleed!   ;)

:D

Well thank you kind sir.  Likewise with your music, which I know is done entirely on Casio gear.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:42:29 PM by Numina »

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

I'm glad Paul is on this thread because in my mind I believe he has proven it....."Seed"  He and James Johnson created a sonic gem with that CD, from the recording to their choice of mastering engineer.  I have no idea of the gear they used, but beyond the beautiful music, the sound is astonishing, and imho this is where ambient music if we need to be genre specific should use as a reference cd.....I do!

Personally I have gotten to a point with my synths that I have what I need, there's always something out there but I don't really need it.  What I did need was a signal chain upgrade, and a pre amp way of working is my preferred method.

Cheers.....Julio

Although James Johnson is a good engineer. Had to set the record straight. Seed was engineered by Paul Vnuk Jr and Christopher Short of Ma Ja Le.

James Johnson was primarily a co-writer and keyboardist on the album. Final production was done at the Moss Garden (Paul's studio) For those that know us Paul and I work closely together on production of Ma Ja Le music, sometimes haggling over each phrase of the music to make it just right. Hence why the follow up to Seed has been seven years in the making.

It is what it is...

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
Just a quick note on the thread. In briefly scanning it no one seems to mention that it can be ok to be only a musician or only an engineer. Even if your main focus is electronic/ambient music you don't always have to be an engineer. I say that only because it seems to be an unspoken rule that in this genre one has to be both.

I think it's OK to be one or the other, and focus on being the best you can be in your chosen focus. If you are primarily a musician, compose the best music you can and let the engineers worry about the gear and mixing.

Remember engineers/producers are out there to help musicians get the best sound and music they possibly can. Sometimes it's worth spending the $$ on the engineer rather than on the piece of equipment.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:25:21 PM by Christopher Short - Ma Ja Le' »

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »

I'm glad Paul is on this thread because in my mind I believe he has proven it....."Seed"  He and James Johnson created a sonic gem with that CD, from the recording to their choice of mastering engineer.  I have no idea of the gear they used, but beyond the beautiful music, the sound is astonishing, and imho this is where ambient music if we need to be genre specific should use as a reference cd.....I do!

Personally I have gotten to a point with my synths that I have what I need, there's always something out there but I don't really need it.  What I did need was a signal chain upgrade, and a pre amp way of working is my preferred method.

Cheers.....Julio

Although James Johnson is a good engineer. Had to set the record straight. Seed was engineered by Paul Vnuk Jr and Christopher Short of Ma Ja Le.

James Johnson was primarily a co-writer and keyboardist on the album. Final production was done at the Moss Garden (Paul's studio) For those that know us Paul and I work closely together on production of Ma Ja Le music, sometimes haggling over each phrase of the music to make it just right. Hence why the follow up to Seed has been seven years in the making.

It is what it is...

Hi Christopher......my apologies for omitting you in my post.....all three of you are clearly name on the Seed cd cover, just not aware of the details. Should pay more attention to the liner notes.  Thanks for making this clear.

Remember engineers/producers are out there to help musicians get the best sound and music they possibly can. Sometimes it's worth spending the $$ on the engineer rather than on the piece of equipment.  ;)

This is a great point.....we spend large amounts of money on gear, inanimate gear, instead of investing in human beings with more musical knowledge than I have and a greater set of studio skills who can actually use this equipment to bring the music to its full potential.

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
 Julio - ;)

Best regards!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Bump -- someone was just asking about this subject.

jdh

• View Profile
Thanks for the bump mike,interesting read.my experience in the pro audio field is that the whole audio chain is important but yes,a pre amp makes a difference.I have used a manley and API in the past and even in an a venue of 1000 persons,you can hear the difference.grace pre amps are very popular at the stage input end.most pro audio persons will tell you the pre amp section of any mixer is the most important part,such as the legendary Midas ones.

Vajragio

• View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »
I am currently running my analog synths through a Universal Audio 610 solo and it made a huge difference in bringing out the harmonics and bottom end of my sounds. My bass sounds shake the room now!