Author Topic: Holiday season movie review thread  (Read 2471 times)

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
Holiday season movie review thread
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »
Thought we could open a thread with readers' reviews of all the big (or small and indie) movies coming out during this holiday season. I'll start off. Kathryn and I tried to See "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" but it was sold out, so we saw "Unstoppable" with Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson. VERY GOOD adrenalin-rush thriller...You completely buy the whole thing, IMO. GREAT set pieces with that runaway train taking on an almost palpable sense of evil. Tony Scott's direction (minus his usually excessive jittery-cam) was flawless..this movie didn't have a wasted second. Nothing like an edge-of-your-seat thriller to get the blood pumping.

We're gonna shoot to see HP sometime next week (can't believe it sold out 30 minutes prior to show time at 1:30 when it was showing om 4 MORE SCREENS at this multiplex).
May the odds be ever in your favor.

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Holiday season movie review thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:45:18 AM »
Thanks for that review of Unstoppable.  Love Denzel. I'll probably wait for DVD though.  These days I rarely go to theaters because my time is taken up trying to keep up with all the DVD's on Netflix. 

Speaking of which, I saw this weekend the Best Foreign Film Oscar Winner from the last Oscar's called "The Secret in their Eyes."  It was absolutely fantastic, one of the best movies I've seen in quite awhile.  Just reaffirms my belief foreign films on the whole are so much better than American films. 

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:39 AM »
I'm quite excited to see Tron: Legacy. Recently saw the original and was fascinated by it. Those visuals were so unique and artistic that I don't think the new cg technology will surpass it in terms of its beautiful weirdness and soulfulness.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
We don't go out to the theater very much, because we have a nice home theater and we have more fun watching a DVD or Bluray at home than dealing with chatting teens and ringing cellphones at the theater.

I'm thinking of making the trip for the new Harry Potter, though. Loud "event" movies are the only time I can deal with the rude crowds at the theater because the movie drowns them out!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
Saw Tron a couple of days ago.  Or I should say I saw about 2/3 of Tron.  I walked out in the middle of the movie, it was that bad.  Story sucked, acting sucked.  Visuals were good but could only entertain for so long.  Music was pretty good.

I knew it wasn't going to be an oscar winner but, wow!, it was boring.

Going to see True Grit today & that should clear the bad memories of Tron.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
I haven't seen a movie get such negative reviews and word-of-mouth as the new Tron since, I guess, The Last Airbender.  Yeesh!

Looking forward to True Grit, too.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
I have to kind of agree about Tron, being a sequel and they used a little sci-fi in it about the poly-amorphic code that was able to evolve and I was sitting there thinking to myself, HELLOOOOO....let's not do the whole original tron games, look, etc which they freaking did anyways instead of going off on a whole new plot to a point....reason why it sucked...no originality...but like said, the music was great if you like techno music:)

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

michinoku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
still planning on seeing tron but I'll probably sneak a brew into the theatre which should help.

Just recently saw The Black Swan and it was a little nauseating but quite good. A drama with elements of psychological and body horror, some beautiful visuals and some really disturbing ones too. Hard to say whether I liked this more than "The Wrestler," the ostensible companion piece also by Aronofsky, but it's a close call for sure - both getting to rarely-reached heights of horror simply based on the physical/mental extremes a character will push themselves to.

also hoping to see True Grit sometime soon.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
Take this with a grain of salt but what are persons in their 30s-50s seeing films Like Harry potter or tron made by adults whose target audiences are youth like 10 or 11 or teenagers or a bit older,never saw the appeal myself.sure,if you are into efxs why not ?
Saw Black Swan as my wife wanted to see it being a bit of a former ballet dancer herself and since I was so turned off by the fountain,just crap( wrestler was ok but only because of rourke)  I did not want to go but saw it anyway and yes,it was as bad as I thought it would be.With 20 minutes to go left and saw the end of tron( daft punk soundtrack was cool ) oh the lines in tron,your destiny awaits you my son- lol.
In black swan,I especially loved the shots of Natalie portman filmed from the waist up,using a body double for the below shots and wide shots ( those are the hard moves people) un believable.oh and yes,the day before my debut of swan lake in nyc,I am going to get wasted on E in a club,yeah right ! My wife and other dancers i spoke to said the film was pure fiction as a tale of dance companies, this film was maybe a portrayal of mental illness but let me tell you,roman Polanski in repulsion did it way better and that was 45 years ago. 

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
Saw "The King's Speech" today. Absolutely phenomenal. Geoffrey Rush was his usual superb self, as was Colin Firth. I know it's only two days in to January, but this one's already on my 2011 'best of' list (though its' release date is really 2010). "True Grit" is next, sometime soon...
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
True Grit was great!
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/