Author Topic: Peter Challoner  (Read 2268 times)

darren bergstein

• View Profile
Peter Challoner
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
Okay, you all wanna do some talkin' 'bout new artists/work? Here goes:

For some time I had meant to investigate the work of U.K. musician Peter Challoner, whose back catalog should be required listening around these parts, and over the past month or so I've gradually acquired his, er, back catalog. Challoner trades in the kind of deep atmospheres and longform works that draw directly from the wellsprings of Eno, Roach, Oophoi, Lahiff, et al, and does in fact fit strict definitions of genre music, except that he varies his broadstroke warps & aesthetics release to release: his work as half of Spiraleye incorporates rhythms and post-Schulzian sequencers into the well-executed, slo-mo drift, and even his formal ambient pieces sometimes utilize subtly effective beat patterns. Currently playing Lunar Tide, which is one 60+ minute track that occupies similar space to Roach's Immersion recordings, to use but one quick comparison, yet Challoner seems to spin the usual signifiers out beyond the confines of most austere ambient music.

All in all, beautiful, epic works that deserve wider recognition, hence my post; all of Challoner's work can be had here:

www.ambientlive.com

...or directly from Peter himself:

www.peterchalloner.co.uk

'appy listening.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:05:33 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Peter Challoner
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
Nevver 'erd im before ... but will certainly give it an ear.

Thanks Darren.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Darren. Just ordered a couple.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:59 AM »
Hi Darren,

thank you very much for spreading the word on Peter Challoner. Extracts on Soundcloud sound very interesting, Peter's work deserves to be explored. Please keep on investigating and informing!!!

Richard

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
I first heard this UK synthesist's stuff on one of the "Awakenings"compilations on Ambientlive label and was highly impressed.  I have Lunar Tide and Beneath the Ice Flow, both excellent.  Oophoi, Thom Brennan, and classic Eno fans take note!

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:36:55 AM »
I'll tell Pete about this thread next time I see him :)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
Sounds interesting -- thanks for bringing this up.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
if anyone is interested there is a free sampler with music from myself, Peter and some stuff he did with a guitarist as SpiralEye, available for free here

http://www.neusonik.co.uk/samples.htm

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:18 AM »
Darren, I see the Ambient Archive 2CD has tracks from those trilogy CD's (suspended animation, ambient motion, etc.) Are the remixes radically different from the originals? Also the second CD on the Archive has a long 36 min. piece I don't see on any of the single albums.  Trying to plot my next Challoner purchase (I only have two so far).

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
Darren, I see the Ambient Archive 2CD has tracks from those trilogy CD's (suspended animation, ambient motion, etc.) Are the remixes radically different from the originals? Also the second CD on the Archive has a long 36 min. piece I don't see on any of the single albums.  Trying to plot my next Challoner purchase (I only have two so far).

No, I wouldn't say the remixes are radically different; more of a tangential alternative on a theme, or a textural detour, as it were. As I haven't played the earlier Challoner more than once, I really can't provide much more of a definitive answer, but I hope this helps. :)

You really can't go wrong with any of his discs: 'Deconstructing Silence' is pretty involving, minimal & abstract though it is, and his first releases apply an almost Budd-ian approach to synthesis: long, drawn-out tones featuring very subtle variations & inner movements that change almost imperceptibly. Definitely late-night, drone zone listening...

DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Yep,
Council of Nine sent me a copy of two releases from this artist many years ago.
Sounded nice, but lacked of originality. Guess he improved this part.