Author Topic: Van Halen Hall of Fame Induction and 2007 Tour Drama  (Read 2352 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Van Halen Hall of Fame Induction and 2007 Tour Drama
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:22:03 AM »
Any VH fans here? I thought it was pretty lame Eddie, Alex and Dave did not even show up to their own R&R Hall of Fame induction a few years ago.  Poor Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar, it must've been awkward at that awards show.  Then Eddie tours with his then teenage son on bass without inviting Mike (a "real", professional bass player who arguably helped define their sound).  Sorry but I would never pay $150 a ticket to see a little kid flop around on a bass.  I can't even figure out what the big "grudge" was about.  Apparently EVH was pissed MA and SH formed a new band (?)  EVH is a rock god but not much class from what I can tell... 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Van Halen Hall of Fame Induction and 2007 Tour Drama
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
David Lee Roth is a funny, charismatic lead man who unfortunately doesn't understand there are times when the "Diamond Dave" act needs to be left on the stage.

Eddie Van Halen is a drug-addled, egotistical nutcase who thinks that because the name of the band is his last name, and because he has the most instrumental virtuoso cred of anybody in the band, and because he used to be the most mainstream celebrity in the band (hell, he married Barbara Cooper from One Day at a Time... schwing!), that his own diva behavior is cool whereas DLR's diva behavior sucks.

I'd argue you could subtract Alex Van Halen from the band without changing their sound too much (though I think he's a great drummer and a good fit for the band), whereas Michael Anthony is much more central to the sound because of his distinctive high backing vocals.  Then again, Alex's last name is Van Halen too, so Eddie probably wouldn't do that, unless he was in one of his cocaine freakouts.

Sammy Hagar seems like a perfectly nice guy, and intelligent/organized enough to build a decent tequila & Mexican food mini-empire before he sold it off. I have no doubt he'd be fun to have a few drinks with.  But as a lead man, I found him a big step down from David Lee Roth.  Better than Gary Charone, I guess.

OK, I've filled my quota of writing about Van Halen for the next decade.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:06 PM »
I like all the synth parts on "1984". Does that make me a fan?

Seriously, lame the band never showed up in full to their induction. I imagine by now that they regret that move.

As people, I always thought they came off a bit pretentious and bratty-like, not like a real rock star, just more elitist, like Metallica. Whereas I have more respect for bands like Motley Crue. Granted I do not own a single album by any of these bands because I was busy buying A Flock of Seagulls 12" singles instead (and threatened to get my ass kicked from stoners).

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:54 AM »
Does the R&R Hall of Fame have any real credibility these days? I saw them on the 5150 tour at the Forum, no amps on stage. It wasn't long after that I bought my first synth. They definitely made some good contributions to the genre and had a long run. Eddie reinvented the guitar as a player and builder,  and influenced countless guitarists. BTW, Steve Winwood was 16 when he was with Spencer Davis.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »
Does the R&R Hall of Fame have any real credibility these days? I saw them on the 5150 tour at the Forum, no amps on stage. It wasn't long after that I bought my first synth. They definitely made some good contributions to the genre and had a long run. Eddie reinvented the guitar as a player and builder,  and influenced countless guitarists. BTW, Steve Winwood was 16 when he was with Spencer Davis.

Where's RUSH in all this talk about Rock and Roll Hall of Shame?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
I like all the synth parts on "1984". Does that make me a fan?

No, that just makes you a fan of Oberheim OBXa presets, one of the few.  ;D

As for Van Halen, I liked their first album when it came out, after that I lost interested and have never really followed them much.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »
Dreamin4ever--I'm with you about Rush.  This has come up recently in light of the "Lighted Stage" DVD.  I forget if it was mentioned in the documentary but I guess it has something to do with Rush being such a prog band to this day and that they're still something more of a (HUGE) cult band as opposed to mainstream rock.  I myself don't get it.  How can you get more rockin' than "Tom Sawyer" and "Spirit of Radio"?  Neil Peart and Geddy Lee are gods of drums and bass, and Alex LIfeson no slouch either!