Author Topic: Luca Formentini  (Read 4474 times)

Somnia

• View Profile
Luca Formentini
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
Listening to a really subtly executed, gorgeous and spatial album by Luca Formentini right now.  Existing somewhere in the nether realms of ambient, electro-acoustic, and post-jazz, it sounds like it could fit well on a label like Rune Grammafon. 

Dont take my word for it though, sample are here:
http://www.emusic.com/album/Luca-Formentini-Tacet-MP3-Download/11115200.html

Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)
Native State Records / Somnia

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Luca Formentini
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
Somnia-

I know what you mean about "Tacet". The MP3s sounded really intriguing, so I ordered it myself.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:36:43 AM »
This seems like one of those releases that one instantly desires to own, from the beginning of the first sample. Very intriguing.

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
Its quite good.  Ill be playing some full tracks on my next podcast if you all would like to hear longer samples,
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Can you post a link to those podcasts?

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
Have not aired the podcast with Luca yet, but the link is here:
http://somniasound.blogspot.com/

Should have a new one up within the next week or so.
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »
I bought this at iTunes, they have a 256kb version over there. Great disc! I can't even begin to describe it, I've never heard anything like it before. It starts off in unfamiliar territory and constantly keeps morphing into something new. No track sounds like any of the others, and yet they all fit perfectly together somehow. 60 plus minutes of beautiful and strange curiosities...

The one drawback for me is that some passages are too damn quiet, which I always find distracting. I prefer volume at an even keel. But still, this is a minor quibble. 

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
I'm on the verge of ordering this one up...almost got it a couple days back but then had cold feet...I have a slight fear (mistrust) of 'avant-garde' musicians and their intentions. I got the impression for a moment (which I now think is probably wrong) that this is kind of a rip-off of ambient music with some annoying elements (like the silent bits you mentioned) to make it seem edgy. This seems similar to stuff from the Tzadik label, which has the perennial problem of being belligerantly annoying for the sake of newness...though I do like the new Death Ambient - Drunken Forest release. I would be thankful for some more words from you guys about Tacet to help me change my mind.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »

I got the impression for a moment (which I now think is probably wrong) that this is kind of a rip-off of ambient music with some annoying elements (like the silent bits you mentioned) to make it seem edgy. This seems similar to stuff from the Tzadik label, which has the perennial problem of being belligerantly annoying for the sake of newness...

I don't get the impression that he's ripping off ambient music. It doesn't really resemble ambient... maybe Somnia's description of this as "post jazz" is the most accurate way to describe it.

In any case, this is not annoying or belligerent  -just different. Try it! All you have to lose is money. ;)

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
This release is refreshing as it is a unique and personal vision and isn't _trying_ to be anything other than itself, though it does have references to post-jazz, experimental, ambient music.
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)