Author Topic: Ambient with lots of rain sounds?  (Read 8200 times)

tjg92

• View Profile
Ambient with lots of rain sounds?
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »
I'm looking for something mostly based off of rain, thunder, wind or whatever related sound there are. There can be more to it than just the sound of rain, for instance: rain with a piano over it (or whatever).

I'd appreciate any recommendations, thanks. :)

Bill Binkelman

Re: Ambient with lots of rain sounds?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
IMO, the best "rain sounds" will be heard on CDs that are more "new agey" than ambient. I am one of the few who say that comment and not mean it as an insult to new age music, by the way. I'm just stating that there are some really good, IMO, ambient-like new agey rain plus quiet music albums out there. But if you want strictly ambient music, as most here define it, with the sound of rain, the best choice is easy: Lost at Dunn's Lake by James Johnson and Stephen Philips. It's not even close. But I can recommend others which are less "ambient" although I think they are darn close. Let me know.

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »
Then, of course, there's this one - Paul Vnuk Jr. | Silence Speaks in Shadow.

Very quiet, rain sounds and thunder for sure, and other nifty sounds in the background.  A wonderful recording!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
As Bill said, there are a whole load of new age type albums of "nature sounds" that you can often find in new age/folk art/imported artifact stores, even in malls. Streams, rivers, rain, sea, tropical forests .. all with or without instruments. Museums often have them too, especially natural history museums.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:06 PM »
Then, of course, there's this one - Paul Vnuk Jr. | Silence Speaks in Shadow.

Very quiet, rain sounds and thunder for sure, and other nifty sounds in the background.  A wonderful recording!

Good call, but as an urban soundscape, I was hesitant to mention it since most people looking for rain sounds want them in nature,  not amidst the city. I could be wrong, but I thought better safe than sorry.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
Simon Williams has a great rainstorm mixed with minimal echoed piano and synth washes/textures release entitled Gentle Rainstorm. Here's my review of it from years back (but it's stil available...see link below)

Stretching out over more than sixty-minutes, Simon Williams' Gentle Rainstorm CD is one of the most calming yet reflective recordings I've heard in a while. Combining a Tim Story-like melancholy piano line with patient synths and synth choruses, the single song ("Gentle Rainstorm") unfolds so slowly that it would be difficult not to find oneself unwinding as the music plays out at its relaxed pace. What impressed me almost right away was the emotional neutrality (or even somberness, at times) of the music. This is not syrupy, sugary or overly "pretty." Instead, it is, at times, almost Zen-like in its feel (and subsequent effect). The accompanying sound effects are used with utmost discretion and are comprised of falling rain and occasional thunder. Simon exercises remarkable restraint with his piano playing, never veering into quasi-Lanz territory, so that the music maintains an ambient sensibility throughout. But, there is also a warmth present in the music, ev en when it (the music) is reflective and moody, that makes this CD a natural for late night listening or as accompaniment to contemplation. The music itself evolves quite a bit as the album progresses. Synth strings are emphasized, then subside. The piano varies from being quite minimal (even disappearing for stretches) and then carrying the melody in the forefront. A synth oboe/recorder occasionally weaves a gentle and sad melody line over the soft keyboards. All these distinct textures and "movements" makes Gentle Rainstorm a constantly interesting (and even more enjoyable) recording in which to immerse oneself. Ambient music fans who sometimes wish for something a little friendlier than standard noir (dark) recordings will, I think, enjoy the relatively unstructured feel of this album, as well as its lack of phony sentimentality (at times, such as when the piano is under-emphasized, this is closer to space music or ambient artists like Jon Mark or Mike Simmons). Albums like Gentle Rainstorm are a mainstay of my weekly listening agenda. In particular, Simon's ability to create relaxing yet never "sweet" soundscapes makes this a CD that will seldom (if ever) be "shelved" and will likely be left out on the CD player for those times when stress and mental "wear-and-tear" require a thorough cleansing of my psyche. For just such a purpose, Gentle Rainstorm is a revelation. Peaceful yet laced throughout with a sense of beautiful melancholy, this is indeed music for quiet times. Highly recommended!

Here's the link and there are two short sound clips,although the album is one long track. It will give you an idea what to expect.
http://www.svpworld.com/dnn/Styles/Stylestopurchase/tabid/60/CatalogItemID/34/CatalogID/3/psnavcmd/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/-1/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:50:56 PM by Bill Binkelman »

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »
AMP's release in Darla's "Bliss Out" series is based around the sound of rain; no thunder, just rain.  It's a 2-cd set; both CDs sound very similar, but different; worth seeking out.  I'm sure Darla records has it still in print.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but if this isn't ambient rain, I don't know what is.

Ananta - Inside My Room, Watching The Rain
http://www.useirecords.ovh.org/rain/rain018.html
4 hours, 10 minutes
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
Silence Speaks in Shadow is definitely a classic with some wonderful storm sounds meshed in...I think another good one would be Alio Die's (and others) Expanding Horizon, with some very epic rain action. Sola Translatio Mother Sunrise I think has some exquisite rain sounds, or at least dripping sounds, as well as Brannan Lane's Lost Caverns of Thera, which has some really well done cave dripping sounds...

Is there a drought where you live? I'm in Seattle where there is plenty of free rain sound, without even having to open the windows. But when living in dry climates I always craved rain sounding cds - Expanding Horizon was definitely a relief at these times, as well as Silence Speaks in Shadow...

tjg92

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:53 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. :D
IMO, the best "rain sounds" will be heard on CDs that are more "new agey" than ambient. I am one of the few who say that comment and not mean it as an insult to new age music, by the way. I'm just stating that there are some really good, IMO, ambient-like new agey rain plus quiet music albums out there. But if you want strictly ambient music, as most here define it, with the sound of rain, the best choice is easy: Lost at Dunn's Lake by James Johnson and Stephen Philips. It's not even close. But I can recommend others which are less "ambient" although I think they are darn close. Let me know.
Honestly, I don't care if it's New Age or whatever. I'm really not trying to be specific here.
Is there a drought where you live? I'm in Seattle where there is plenty of free rain sound, without even having to open the windows. But when living in dry climates I always craved rain sounding cds - Expanding Horizon was definitely a relief at these times, as well as Silence Speaks in Shadow...
I live in Texas. Right now there isn't much rain, but pretty soon we should be getting a bunch. I still want some music that incorporates rain into it.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but if this isn't ambient rain, I don't know what is.

4 hours, 10 minutes

Cool link. That really sounds great in my ears.
250 min though, need to check that one out
tonight. really nice atmosphere in the first
5 minutes.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
here are a couple of very good to excellent electronic ambient cd's with rain and nature sounds:
brannan lane - the relaxing effects of water
grassow/alio die's collab - title escapes me right now.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
There's a cool thunderstorm in "Spring" from Wendy Carlos' Sonic Seasonings album.

Mike S

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »

4 hours, 10 minutes

whoa! what a cool piece! this is over 4 hours of beautiful ambient drone - with excellent nature samples. thanks mike!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:36 AM »
I was going to recommend the Paul Vnuk release, but see it's already been mentioned - there's some nice bits of rain in there. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »
Here's a link to a mix I did in August.  It features ambient-ish music & rain sounds that I added to the mix.  Worked pretty well if I do say so.

You can find it here...There Will Come Soft Rains

I'd like to add another thumbs up to the Paul Vnuk recording.

tjg92

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys.
Here's a link to a mix I did in August.  It features ambient-ish music & rain sounds that I added to the mix.  Worked pretty well if I do say so.

You can find it here...There Will Come Soft Rains

I'd like to add another thumbs up to the Paul Vnuk recording.
I liked that, thanks. :D