Author Topic: New Dog Story  (Read 2084 times)

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
New Dog Story
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
11/11/10
Here begins the story. I went to the shelter in Monticello, FL yesterday and met an adorable dog. She looks like a small Newfoundland. She, and her 3 siblings, were found in a box on the side of the road a year ago. All her brothers and sisters were adopted, she has a droopy eye and is still at the shelter. She is extremely shy and is afraid to leave her surroundings, her "universe": the animal shelter. She was ok with me and I was able to pet her, but all she wanted to do while on a leash with me was go back to a pen, and any pen would do. Friendly with all other animals. In short, this will need work.

The plan as of now... We are going to take Ringo to the shelter (and I hope he doesn't get the wrong idea) to meet her. I am going to the shelter every morning before going to work (I may at one point decide to stay and not go to work anyway), possibly feed her in the mornings until she is comfortable with me. This one may take some time. Any advice will be appriciated. I will keep updating this, and will add pictures when she is home with us.

11/14/10
Update.
Day 2: I went in in Friday morning. The care taker brought her out to me and gave me some food for her. She was too nervous, so I took her to her pen. I sat inside with her for about 15 minutes, she sat near the fence, wouldn't come to me, but watched me the entier time.

Day 3: My wife and I took Ringo and it was a sucess. Ringo is a friendly dog, and there was no agression between the two at all. I was taking Ringo back to her pen, but since he had never been in such a place, he was quie frightened. So I went back out front, and they brought Gwenie to us. She eventually sat with me, had her head on my lap at one time, was fine with Ringo, overall she did not have a constant desire to getaway. She became comfortable with us. The four of us went for a walk at a nearby park and things went well.

I won't be able to go back until Thursday. I will take an old t-shirt.

11/21/10
Day 4: The break was due to going to Tampa to see Roger do The Wall (incredible, BTW). I went to the shelter Thursday morning. I went into her pen. She wouldn't come to me on her own, but continued to circle around me. There was another dog in the pen, he was all over me. I left a shirt for her to sleep with.

Day 5: Friday. I had to take Ringo to the vet for the day. I asked them to get Gwenie and put her in the pen next to him for the day. All went well. When I picked up Ringo, they brought out Gwenie and she jumped right into the car with us. I brought her home. She spent the night very timid, shy, and slept in the laundry room. Ringo and Won-Li were perfect gentlemen about the whole thing. Sparky (the old orange tabby) was quite curious.

Day 6: Saturday. She has checked out the house on her own. She loves going for walks and does quite well on the leash. AND....... while watching a movie last night, she walked up to me, sat beside me and licked my hand! Mission accomplished!

12/01/10
A week later, Queenie is very happy. She like to play with my hands when I sit my recliner and hang them off the back. She plays with all of our other animals (2 dogs, 2 cats). And she loves to run. She took off this morning and just ran in circles around the yard (we have 2 acres cleared, 3 are forest.)

So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Numina

• View Profile
Re: New Dog Story
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
Sweet story.

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
Damn, Wayne...you have me almost in tears. You are DA MAN! It's so great to see someone as in love with dogs as I am! I SO admire your patience and perseverence! I have no doubt that Gwenie thinks she is now in some kind of doggie heaven at your loving house. Kudos to you, your family, Ringo (good dog, Ringo!!!) and, most of all, Gwenie. YOU GO, GIRL!

PLEASE keep me informed about her, either here or via private message. This is just so great that you have saved such a gentle soul. I can't wait to tell Kathryn about it (I'm heading home from a late nighter at work in a few minutes). Man, I had a real shitty day but it just got a WHOLE helluva lot better! Thanks, man! If we ever cross paths, I am not buying you a beer, I'm buying you a LOT of beers! ;D
May the odds be ever in your favor.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
It's a really great to be a part of this community that includes such wonderful persons like you, Wayne!!! After you will finish your beers with Bill, come over to Europe, Slovakia and we will raise a glass together too... :)

Richard

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
Good man Wayne !

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
That's a nice story, Wayne. As others have said above, you're a good man for doing this.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:31:17 AM »
Great story, Wayne, and nice job!  And Shadow says "Hi" to all of you.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Awww, she seems like such a sweet, loving girl!

How is she doing now?
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
Still timid, but happy.  It's great to watch her running around the yard.  She absolutely adores our other two dogs.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/