Author Topic: What is the Hypnos Forum to you ?  (Read 395 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
What is the Hypnos Forum to you ?
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
Many come here for different purposes but most end up at the ultimate reason.....their love of ambient music!

Quite a few come here to share their musical discoveries ambient or otherwise...the life blood of this forum.

Musician's come here to share their wonderful new recordings.

Gearheads come here to exchange sonic possibilities.

Novelist & lovers of literature come her to share there recent and best reads.

Gamers come to share their latest online conquests.

Firestarters come here to stir things up and help things get.... fired up....usually an interesting and spirited outcome.  A good thing!

Lovers share their troubadour adventures.

Watchers....the silent majority come here to glean and hopefully break that barrier and come through to contribute.

There are some that put a great deal of energy into this forum and I suspect question is it really worth it....yes the darker side.

And then there is this hush....enough has been said.  I can feel it.  Time to regroup.  Check our reality.  Become quite.

So where are you.....what does the Hypnos forum mean to you?   

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:17:49 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: What is the Hpynos Forum to you ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
This forum is a favouite online community for me. I enjoy the sharing and discussion of ambient and gear related topics though my contributions are usually just injections of bad humour.  ;D

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: What is the Hpynos Forum to you ?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:49:22 AM »
While I mostly lurk, I feel comfortable enough to give my two cents from time to time.
Julio, you covered what I like about this forum. The best part? It's the right amount of new content each day. It doesn't take tons of time to read through all the new posts, and there's rarely a lull in the conversation.

Kudos to the active users (the artists and the lovers of ambient music) of this community for making it an interesting place to visit.   :)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: What is the Hypnos Forum to you ?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
I come here to rant and rave mostly :)

In terms of 'social media' in general (remembering that the forum pre-dated most of what is so called) this is a niche place and I think that's why it has endured. I suspect it will only do so while Mike is still sufficiently motivated to keep it going.

I sometimes wonder, if I should just shut up (and play my guitar, as Frank said) and devote more energy to getting on with my work (and maintain my blog). But to be honest, I find it's quite an isolated world as an ambient composer, so being able to discuss ambient related things is a valuable thing for me.

There are some real gems posted here, across the board and good advice on technical matters abounds.

I remember the older days when Dirk Serries, Jeff Pearce, Saul Stokes, Dwight Ashley, Jim Cole et al were pretty active and I also remember when there was some unpleasant character assasinations regarding political stuff too - recent heated discussions are nothing new !

Personally, I tire of self-publicists with no other input than promoting their latest album, or whatever, but thats always been an ongoing thing.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
It's interesting to see all this. Thanks for the input, everybody. I love that this has remained a community, even if it's not as busy as it was 10+ years ago. Forums like this are considered by many an "old fashioned" or even obsolete form of social media, but to me, that's part of the charm. It's less noisy and overwhelming than something like Facebook or Twitter.

I don't have any intention of shutting down the forum, as long as everyone (mostly) behaves. For the most part, this place is self-policing, because we have many members who have been around for a very long time, who know the rules, and who care about a civilized, respectful level of discourse and try to enforce if it they can. I truly appreciate everybody who contributes to the strength and health of this place. Thank you!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
My post was more of a statement...so, much like Pete the world of ambient music both to listen to and to compose is isolated.  I dont talk to anyone about it because theres actually no one to talk to.....my girlfriend certainly has gained a deeper understanding of the ambient world but once I get going on gear her eyes glaze over coma like.  To come here and exchange ideas and music is a life line for me that I cherish very much.

There are plenty of funnies and good sense of humor and when it does get hot and out of hand its dealt with swiftly.....I should know ::) and its done the right way with as little ripples as possible.....Thank you Moderators!

I also feel strongly that this is a great archive of different interests, certainly ambient music is the headliner but if Im look for a new read or perhaps a new set of headphones etc...I can find a lot of information and suggestions here.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
True enough -- if I'm shopping for a new pair of headphones or some kind of amplifier or software, I come here first!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
I think the only thing that Hypnos lacks is a new car section.   ;D

To me Hypnos in many ways is an old shoe. It's not what it was back in the glory days, but it's still a nice place to visit, I usually come here at least once a day to see what's going on. I do miss more of the artist input though, I wish some of them would come back and participate again.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
...Because for me ambient it's a mind expanding music, it's the soundtrack of my life. A forum like this should exist to give a nice shelter to all people with the same view about the world and this music.

I don't care and I despise politics, tv, newspapers, football, the society in general. I'm interested in the mysteries of life, nature, the cosmos and microcosmos and above all the art we produce that makes us special above all common and rule driven humans.

I'm more interested in a shadow cast by a tree, or the rustling of leaves, than listening to a person talking about ''really important things about society.''

An ambient forum IMO should be about ambient, we have everything and nothing elsewhere if we want it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:33:44 PM by Crepuscule »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
I came her originally to learn more about ambient music and what was out there and where I could find. it. Over time, I've gotten to know people on the forum and it's become a comfortable and mostly civilized place to discuss and learn about many things. It's a lot better for me to read and participate in discussions with people I know even though I've never physically met anyone on this forum. It feels like home.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
I like being here a lot- Had not noticed it becoming 'old fashioned', but then I am too old fashioned to have kept up enough with that sort of thing to know when it is 'old' or 'hot'

I do like the variety and the depth of experience and knowledge that I can reach out to here.

I also like the way the conversations keep going - too many forums have the dreaded [like] button that just kills the interaction, I'm interested in what others think and how our comments affect how each of us may think.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD A LIKE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!

Most 'social media' is, for me, too short and vapid to have any sense of real connection.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
Most 'social media' is, for me, too short and vapid to have any sense of real connection.
Yep. Two thumbs up on that. The forum format is more a sustained dialogue. Topics are up for further discussion and reveal various viewpoints beyond a facile like/dislike dualism. And even when the discussion gets negative it is often interesting to see what topics cause such divisions, and learn not to be too dogmatic or one-sided about things oneself.

I find the Hypnos Forum very comfortable and open, welcoming to new members, and really with a fine mix of posters and topics. And as a moderator I especially like deleting, on the weekend, all the posts for drugs and excellent imitation classic watches.

Loren: "To me Hypnos in many ways is an old shoe."      :o

;)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
 ;D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
I can't share my passion for the music outside of here, because 99% of people I meet don't live music the way I do.  Especially ambient electronic. 

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
It is a great place, its friendly, you can discover new artists and you can get excellent advice, both directly and indirectly, on just about anything to do with music, not just ambient, although ambient is the reason I came here. There are musicians here who I have the deepest respect for, although they may not know it.
I look upon Hypnos as a "serious" forum, that is "serious" in a good way, the advice you get will help to steer you in the right direction.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
It is a great place, its friendly, you can discover new artists and you can get excellent advice, both directly and indirectly, on just about anything to do with music, not just ambient, although ambient is the reason I came here. There are musicians here who I have the deepest respect for, although they may not know it.
I look upon Hypnos as a "serious" forum, that is "serious" in a good way, the advice you get will help to steer you in the right direction.

Pretty much this. I originally joined to spread the word about my music but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, whether it be the veterans of the genres or the fans that post here regularly, and it has helped me to realize that there's plenty of great new ambient music out there. I love this forum.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
I like using the forums to get new leads for music I might enjoy. I've been around off and on, sometimes merely lurking, for what must be close to 12 years now.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »
I love Loren's "old shoe" analogy.  I love to slip that well worn yet still totally darn good looking shoe on and say hello here now and then.  It's always been a good place to be.  I've met a lot of people here over the decade+ I've been hanging around.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
Well I have only been here since Dec 2013 but have thoroughly enjoyed the posts here. Ambient music has really taken over my life, well okay, my listening this past 3 years or so. Thus it is highly appropriate I have found this place.

My own music has always been guitar orientated rock with side projects of African/Scottish/instrumental concepts. However I am being inspired by listening to some stunning ambient music recently and my studio will be getting fired up again over the winter months for some deep ambient research and playing. Hopefully this guitarist/Djembe player will be picking up some tips from the wealth of experience and musicianship on here  :D

Favourite thread on this website............has to be..........Currently Listening  8)