Author Topic: new: DISTANT SHADOWS by Anthony Paul Kerby and Tomas Weiss  (Read 7301 times)

El culto

• View Profile
Re: new: DISTANT SHADOWS by Anthony Paul Kerby and Tomas Weiss
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »
Just a quick update:

Price reduced Preorder ends on Sunday 20.03.

All preorders will be shipped on Monday 21.03. Official release will be two weeks after that

Greetings,
Tomas

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Thank you for your update, Tomas, I really look forward to "Distant Shadows"!!! All the best... :)

Richard

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
t

is that also the release date
for the download version from apk @datobscura?

calm japanese winds

h

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »
Hi h.
The download version will be released at the same time as the physical album goes on general release. So that will be two weeks this Monday ... which is April 4.

anthony
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
apk

thanks

excited    h

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
I already have a spot reserved on my CD changer!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
Hey, i just got the CD in the mail today...   but I'm going up north for the weekend, and won't be able to listen to it until Monday at the earliest.

Beautiful cover photo.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Joe ..... you will simply have to cancel the trip up north !  No other option  :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »
Heh...

Actually Anthony, I got home and listened to it last night. It sounds just like the cover art! (That's a good thing.)

Saturday, I took a cold walk on a deserted Lake Huron shoreline that looked very similar to your CD photo, and I think that got me in the mood for your disc. It sounds just like that shoreline-  vast and moody and ponderous. Gorgeous!

Of course, the shoreline I walked was still ice-covered. Brrrr...

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:26 PM »
Yes, this sort of ambient music is all about moods and imagined (sometimes perceived) vistas.
And you know how I like shorelines !
Thanks again, Joe.

Also, hope you don't mind me adding your Now Playing post here ...
good to have it with the album thread.

"Anthony Kerby and Tomas Weiss- Distant Shadows; It's a keeper!
Great slabs of drone drifting across the sky just like the clouds in the cover photo.
Very ethereal and ponderous and solemn and (insert your own favorite adjective)."
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »
Fine with me...    I'm thinking others are really gonna like the disc too.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
Hi guys, I just did a little review on "Distant Shadows" for Discogs, so I hope it's possible to post it here:

Anthony Paul Kerby and Tomas Weiss "Distant Shadows" CD

Both, Anthony Paul Kerby and Tomas Weiss, are known as frequent collaborators with other musicians like Robert Davies or Mathias Grassow for example, but this is their first co-work and also premier release on new founded Construct label run by Anthony and Tomas (but both of them run also few other labels). I was immediately catched by the stunning images on the digipak's artwork (photographs by Anthony and by Jesse Harrison) and very soon I realized they fit perfectly the sonics as well as the title of the album. "Distant Shadows" album delivers trully immersive drifting soundworlds evoking remote and spacious landscapes surrounded by dense fog. It opens with shorter title track "Distant Shadows" that sets the drifting atmosphere for the rest of this expansive journey. "Gathering Memories" keeps its slow-motion floating, but it's nicely colored on the background by some organic and industrial field-recordings. Deep, dark and immense, definitely the first highlight! But it goes on, the pure beauty of minimal oriented textures fully unfolds on 13-minute long piece "Eternal Return", magnificent! Nice peaceful, but monumental moody soundwalls with environmental recordings continue on "Everything That Can Be Said". Dense "Deep Time" is gradiose too! "Figures On A Dark Background" is the most organic piece although it features some beautiful and evocative heavenly choirs and voices. As the title also suggests, this is the most mysterious contribution on "Distant Shadows". "A Final Vision" returns to more drifting mode with a hint of dramatic passages, nice finale! "Distant Shadows" is delicate drone music and not only a deep listening experience, but also a highly relaxing one too!!! It's hard to exactly distinguish what Anthony and what Tomas brought to the table, but I don't care about this, because whatever it was, I liked it. Well done teamwork, Anthony & Tomas, and a very promising overture for Construct label!!!

Richard Gürtler (Bratislava, Slovakia)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
Many thanks for the review and for posting it, Richard.  8)

The album is now available for a decent price as a download over at DataObscura (320kbs)
www.dataobscura.com/proddetail.php?prod=C001

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 05:30:23 AM »
apk

downloaded this morn
for my saunter in the woods

excited for the drift and the spring tree wisps

thanks so much for you and t art

h

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
http://www.hr-online.de/website/static/streaming_popup/mp3streamer.jsp?client=hr2

German state radio right NOW. Whole album. Good quality.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 04:05:39 AM »
Review from Italy (Ondarock):

"During the last decade, quality ambient music has found in the names of Anthony Paul Kerby and Tomas Weiss, two personalities of great depth who have, discreetly, given to this style a remarkable amount of work at the highest level; the first (APK) hidden behind several pseudonyms for his DataObscura label has been active since 2003, and the second (TW) known primarily from his collaborations with Mathias Grassow.

Over the years both followed two separate paths in respect to form,  but extremely close in intentions, searching and finding in their music romantic, contemplative, and introverted dimensions, and seeking for understanding in the nature around them. It was almost necessary that a collaboration between both followed. In Distant Shadows the ways of the two musicians converge at the peak of inspiration and what results is certainly something with the allure of a masterpiece.

The title track introduces us to the cold, gloomy, windswept panorama which we will face throughout the album, and which also is expressed by the wonderful photograph of the cover packaging. The quality of sound achieved is impressive, as well as the blending of the two musicians, so that it is impossible to separate Weiss from Kerby. What especially strikes the listener is the visual depth and textures that outlines in the mind a very concrete scenario of leaden skies, heavy clouds and north winds to which we trust the flow of our consciousness.

"Gathering Memories" develops slowly for eleven minutes passing through several moods: one of those fleeting spirals of tenderness and calmness, worthy of the best Harold Budd, are shown before disappearing in a dense foggy blanket through which we barely glimpse a synth that is icy and solemn.

"Eternal Return", on the contrary, proceeds on a drone, a single immovable tapestry, the tension and drama of which are breathtaking.

One may think that our relationship with a severe and hostile nature reaches a point of balance and peaceful coexistence, at least this is what "Everything Can be said", which dissolves in epic Roachian reverberations, makes us believe.

But, once again, it is a momentary illusion, a stage of exploration, because "Deep Time" clears out every trace of pale emotion. So we are swallowed by the cold, we wander without any sense of location, even the laws of gravity are abolished (do we ascend? do we fall?). Only the distant field recordings of "Figures on a dark background" set us free from this ephemeral state. Though nothing is the same as before. In "A final Vision" we turn to view a different landscape, designed by dark drone, in which only emptiness and despair are shown.

Distant Shadows is a long and complex work, with perfections and virtuosities but also deep abysmal suggestions - the result of the power of vision by two mature and passionate musicians."

(Roberto Rizzo, Ondarock - Italy / Translated Version)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:39 AM »
Listened to this again yesterday, really excellent work you two!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei