I stumbled on an article at gibson.com about the greatest concept albums of all time. It's an interesting discussion, not the least of which is, what makes an album a concept album?
Here's a link to the original article... http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/concept-albums-1230-2010/
It's not a bad list, although there is no way I'd put that schlocky Alice Cooper album in there. What do you think?
Here's my personal top ten...
1. Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
3. David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars
4. The Who - Quadrophenia
5. Green Day - American Idiot
6. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
7. Pink Floyd - Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall
8. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
9. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
10. Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
I think I'd like to add one more to the list, maybe bump down the Moody Blues & put William Basinski
- The Disintegration Loops