Author Topic: CDs are Dead....Almost!  (Read 17135 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: CDs are Dead....Almost!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Yes, I agree with Julio, it's always very exciting to receive some nicely looking (and sounding too... :)) digipak by AirMail. To me, it's a piece of art, many times featuring personalized signature of the artist, I have to feel it in my hands, open it, load it into my CD player and taking the journey. I simply need this kind of ritual. This can't be beaten by any downloads, no matter how they sound like and how nice they look on my screen. Just hitting some buttons on my keyboard or mouse to select music from thousands of titles, no, thanks, this is nothing for me. Maybe I am too old (but not that old... :)) to accept all these new technologies, but this is how I feel about the music. But of course I will always respect the choice of all those who are taking the download route.

Richard

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »

I find some of the original comments by 'Leaf' to be somewhat puzzling. Why
wouldn't an artist want as many people as possible to hear their work ? Do you
have to be in an exclusive 'ownership of the lovely physical object' order to have
access to the sacred sounds ?

Unusually, I find Eno's comments a bit irritating as well, it's easy to have made
your career from selling music to turn aroud and say 'it's just a blip' - well
that's easy to say in hindsight.

Mike , I hope you're not under the impression that all UK ambient types are off
fox-hunting during the day, then settling down with a copy of 'the Telegraph' in
front of the roaring fire on an evening. :)

Oh and I don't think CDs are dead, either.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »
No, Pete, I don't consider Eno to be representative of other ambient artists, British or otherwise. He has more in common with Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga than with you or me. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy's work, but he's not coming from the same realm as the rest of us.

I was kidding about the fox hunting... sort of.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
Again we are talking about the difference between those of us who are able to recieve a download and feel they have something that they enjoy listening to and those of us who who prefer a physical 'object' to sit with and enjoy along with the music.

The technology has changed the world again and currently downloading music appears to be the norm, and the ease with which MP3 or music players make that possible, at whatever bit rate, is easy to understand - I keep my works in progress on such a player so I can listen any time any where. Also if I am spending any time away from home my player gives me more music than I can shake a stick at without any weight to carry around.

There is a strong, almost irresistable, pressure for things to be easy and quick, with no attachment or particular meaning so that the next product can be consumed.

Perhaps we can turn the question around - how do each of us prefer to have our music released? My preference is the CD, then CDR. I would also like to release a record - so much cover to design!!, but have neither the finances to do so nor a deck to play it on. Finally I am happy to release music on the web as download - but I will be careful as to what and when - so it would support my creativity rather than define it.....

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
PS

Another way of considering this is the level of 'upset' we feel if we have to get rid of any of our collection.

I have collected numerous downloads and have almost no feelings when I think - not listened to this, need the disc space: Gone!.

I don't like getting rid of CDs if I have to in the same way I did not like getting rid of my LPs many moons ago.

I especially hated having my pride and joy collection of special disc LPs stolen - almost irreplaceable as far as art definitely as far as memories.

I still hate even thinking about clearing out any Ltd editions CDs/CDRs - especially those done as works of art.....

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
PS

In my opinion, downloads (or rips from CDs) don't limit one's ability to experience music.

When I'm listening to the music, I can check out the CD art in full size form on my tablet in my lap.

I can also swipe my finger and get online information with all the lyrics from the currently playing song if applicable.

Since I'm uploading to last.fm, I can jump from the listing of the song or artist to more information about the artist, and even purchase more music directly from the tablet.

I can carry my tablet from room to room and listen in any room, analogous to carrying around my entire music collection with me, searching for a title, getting it out of the case and then playing it wherever I am in the house...at a quality level similar to CDs.

Since I began using the server, my number of listening hours/week has tripled or quadrupled with the increased accessibility that the server gives me.

With the plummeting cost of hard drive space, I have not had the need to delete files.  In fact, I would feel the same sense of loss if I deleted the files or tossed a CD.

After all, this is an electronic music forum for the most part, and electronics are going to evolve.  I will embrace the change as long as I can.

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
PS

[...]

When I'm listening to the music, I can check out the CD art in full size form on my tablet in my lap.

I can also swipe my finger and get online information with all the lyrics from the currently playing song if applicable.

I love ambient music with vocals in it.

I guess this is a generation gap becoming very obvious... apparently you belong to the generation that enjoys reading e-books rather than real ones. I for one will never understand why on earth people would go for reading an e-book other than being hip or jumping the novelty factor.

But this is only me, of course.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »

I'm not saying the technology is neither any good - or in itself wrong, just explaining my relationship with it - I have to recognise what works for me and use it in that context.

I find I don't retain information read on screen as well as on actual paper - learnt from experience in work when I have to read,  analyse and bring together a wide range of information from various documents on computer - in the end I often have to print out the complicated ones as I just don't take it in off the screen.

So for me seeing it on screen just is not a satisfying experience....

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
Telling from my experience as a teacher all I can say is there is absolutely no learning effect involved with using a computer-based dictionary, for a start. There´s nothing to beat browsing through an old-fashioned dictionary, making one´s own mistakes (and learning from these) like there´s nothing to beat a real book, a real CD (player) on a real home stereo with great speakers etc.

Call me old-fashioned but not every technical innovation is a godsend. And as a musician I´m far from being anti-tech, it´s only that the more technology is around the more discriminating I get as to whether I really need it in a creative process or not.

Stephen

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »

I'm not saying the technology is neither any good - or in itself wrong, just explaining my relationship with it - I have to recognise what works for me and use it in that context.

"Replicants are like any other machine, they´re either a benefit or a hazard. If they´re a benefit it´s not my problem." (Rick Deckard / Blade Runner)

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
My experience with collectibles is this,I have over the years brought and paid higher prices for special limited editions of say,rapoon with postcards,hand painted box or Steve roach early man slate edition or kraftwerk minimum maximum box set and after the initial cool factor,all of the artifacts sat in their boxes and I listened to the music.I am too old now to care about flipping over my gatefold dark side of the moon lp in my basement as cool as it might be.the music is what counts to me.though my music is mostly cd based,I am not attached to it and I believe the way is downloads,but until I can get lossless downloads without going through all different systems out there,zip or wav convertion to iTunes ,it will be cd mostly. From the purchases I did this year,there was no great big 16 page booklets or gold flecked cd covers,mostly bad printing on cheap cardboard or plain old plastic covers,mostly broken in the post. So from what I see,limited collectors editions mean not much to me as they will be more costly ( is that a good idea in the worst economy since the the 30s),take more time to make,post,etc...plus,really as an artist,if you make 300 copies and it does sell out,chances are you will do a reprint again sometime,like namlook did with his 500 editions and then reissues and then iTunes.you had to wait though for it.I just bought a limited 100 run print of a book as I am a fan of the subject,paid 35 pounds,the run sold out in 1 day and what do you know,within a day,another 200 went to print,and in a month,it will be an ebook.I do think book runs are different to cd or music titles though as the book is really a complete structure,from page one to the end,not something that can be split like music and the artwork.IMO anyway.plus,the cd is far from dead but is of another generation.   

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 05:41:20 AM »
To summarize:

Things you can do with files that you cannot do with CDs or any other medium:

1.  Play high fidelity files 96/24 or better (this morning I got Elvis Presley and Nick Drake music in this format)
2.  Play music over a home server in any room, different music in several rooms, all via a tablet remote control
3.  Queue up hundreds of your favorite songs to play all day without interruption
4.  View full-size album art, lyrics, and related information via live links from the song or the artist
5.  Purchase more music from the artist via links from the music on the tablet remote control
6.  Play your stored music via streaming on a telephone from anywhere in the world
7.  In return for uploading your play stats to last.fm, last.fm will allow you to stream your music to you anywhere you have a internet connection
8.  Use the storage space for CDs for something else.  Hundreds of thousands of hi-fi .flac files can be stored on a 2 TB external hard drive with another one used as a backup.
9.  No worries about CD deterioration or damage (make sure your files are backed-up though)
10.  Listen to the same music at the gym while exercising vigorously (CDs will skip)

Things you cannot do with music files:

1.  Hold the CD or the case in your hand and review the printed paper album notes and art
2.  Put the CD in the player with your hand

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »
Another thing you can't do with music files is:-

1)   Suspend them from the ceiling with bits of string so that when the light catches them they glisten with all the colours of the spectrum, ooh pretty

2) juggle with them

3) snap them

4) leave them lying all over the place and not in their cases

5) Wipe them with a cloth, usually with one thats been stuck in the back of the cupboard and is covered in crap

;D ;D
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 06:23:43 AM »
Few more...

Things you cannot do with music files:

3, Running excited to the post office to pick up your order
4, To have personalized signature of your fave artist on the artwork
5, Smell of the brand new digipak... :) 

The new Box Set of Steve Roach (plus Brian Parnham) is a good example, I think few guys on this forum will agree with me... ;)

Richard 

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »

4, To have personalized signature of your fave artist on the artwork

The new Box Set of Steve Roach (plus Brian Parnham) is a good example, I think few guys on this forum will agree with me... ;)

Nobody is saying you can't do both :)

And where do you think I'm getting a lot of my files from?

:)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
And I have also this one on the Box... ;)

Richard

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
No, seriously jimzzzak, if you get your files directly from the artist, I agree with your download only choice, no problem at all. Like I already mentioned I respect the choice of all those who do it this way or download from official sites. But when it goes through unofficial sites, of course I can't agree with that. However, my preference will be always a physical CD.

Richard

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I think its great that we have options to suit different tastes.
It's not an either/or situation ... one good the other bad.
People buy and listen how they see fit.

I have more and more a tendency towards buying downloads
over CDs, but do still enjoy the occasional package in the mail.

Clearly, as Eno points out, the future will hold something different,
and eventually the CD will be just a point in time. There's no
stopping the march of technological 'progress' and change in
the broad music world ... for good or for ill. Those changes are
of course more driven by the big companies and what can be
sold in the big-money market of popular music.

So much is out of our hands.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
when I was looking to buy my last CD player I specifically chose to buy a single disc player because I wanted to make sure I had an involvement with the music in choosing each piece at each time - perhaps similar to the turning over of the LP - the thought of having a days worth of music on queue just does not appeal to me.....

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »

[...] tablet remote control

[...] tablet remote control

Why do these words make me think of "retirement home" and "medication" every time I read them...?

Stephen