Author Topic: STEVE ROACH - Sounds from Inbetween Box Set  (Read 2538 times)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
STEVE ROACH - Sounds from Inbetween Box Set
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:17:44 AM »
Steve Roach's newest box set "Sounds from Inbetween" arrived in the mail today. What a surprise! Did not expect this for another week. The packaging is very nice. And it was wrapped with care. Will be listening to this and Tangerine Dream's "The Endless Season" & Lisbon concert dvd this weekend. Should be a nice weekend of chill.

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
Re: STEVE ROACH - Sounds from Inbetween Box Set
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
I've just seen that the credit card was charged end of last week, so I should have it in a week if the post hurries up. Time until then to read some first impressions ;)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
Have too say "The Desert Inbetween" cd is taken into the next level from Landmass and Nightbloom. Steve along with Brian has taken it into a higher dimension. On my third spin as I type. My first listen was on home system yesterday afternoon. Second was in my truck system on the way into work this morning. And now again on my home system. I would like to experience this trip out in the Mojave desert soon. Should be interesting!  ;)

spore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:09 AM »
Still waiting for mine to arrive, can't wait! Especially curious about the new Immersion CD. I think the Immersion series is the best stuff Steve has done so far.

Steve Brand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
Got mine yesterday. Listening closely right now. Beautiful packaging...as always.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
Got mine today. Immersion: Five is a killer record, great sequencing and not like the other Immersion albums which are mostly drones.

The Desert Inbetween didn't get to me at a first listen, but definitly not bad.

hhh

• View Profile
    • hollanholmesmusic.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Received mine earlier this week. Steve continues to impress. I'm most amazed by the sounds he creates and how he seems to be able to take the listener someplace far away and indescribable. Brian Parnham, whom I've met on a number of occasions, is a very talented musician, as well. This set of CDs, as has been the case with all of Steve's work, has commanded my attention. Have been listening all week. I am, indeed, immersed.

Highly recommended.

hhh
-------------------------------------
Hollan Holmes
http://hollanholmesmusic.com

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive... Have any of you from France, Belgium, Germany or Luxembourg received it yet ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:59:53 AM by Wanterkeelt »

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »
Hi Wanterkeelt,

I am living in Central Europe (Slovakia), mine Box Set arrived 10 days ago, that's not far from the place where you live. Actually, how big was your order? I am just asking, because bigger orders (over 500 grams) can be now shipped from/to US only by cargo flights and not by commercial flights like before. These safety restrictions by US government are valid since the beginning of December, don't know for how long... But don't worry, even smaller mailings have many delays, sometime it takes ages... I just received yesterday little parcel (under 500 grams) shipped from Raleigh, North Carolina with shipping date December 21st, so exactly one month on the way. This was shipped by USPS, just the same way Steve uses for his orders. As far I remember the first Box Sets were shipped by Steve around January 5th... Anyway, I hope you will enjoy your Box Set very soon... :)

Richard

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
Hi Wanterkeelt,

I am living in Central Europe (Slovakia), mine Box Set arrived 10 days ago, that's not far from the place where you live. Actually, how big was your order? I am just asking, because bigger orders (over 500 grams) can be now shipped from/to US only by cargo flights and not by commercial flights like before. These safety restrictions by US government are valid since the beginning of December, don't know for how long... But don't worry, even smaller mailings have many delays, sometime it takes ages... I just received yesterday little parcel (under 500 grams) shipped from Raleigh, North Carolina with shipping date December 21st, so exactly one month on the way. This was shipped by USPS, just the same way Steve uses for his orders. As far I remember the first Box Sets were shipped by Steve around January 5th... Anyway, I hope you will enjoy your Box Set very soon... :)

Richard

You're right, at the moment, the post speed is a real disaster. I ordered 5 Windy and Carl CDs (if you love guitar drone ambient you have to check them out) around 18th December, 3 of them are still on their way, although sent around 21st...

[Sorry the rest belongs into another thread; removed]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:35:54 AM by Wanterkeelt »

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
Got mine on Saturday.  The Parnham collaboration is a real winner and the Immersion discs are a nice change from the more static earlier volumes in the series.  I bought this box with the Grace Cathedral concert disc, and that's the one I've been playing most.  What an awesome concert that must have been.

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »
Got mine on Saturday.  The Parnham collaboration is a real winner and the Immersion discs are a nice change from the more static earlier volumes in the series.  I bought this box with the Grace Cathedral concert disc, and that's the one I've been playing most.  What an awesome concert that must have been.

I finally got my package today. So far I've listened to 6 tracks from The Desert Inbetween, Track 6 being my favourite. After one listen I can't say that much yet. But glad it arrived.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
I'm really impressed by "The Desert Inbetween". There are sound design elements in that album that I've not heard from a Steve Roach release before (perhaps that has something to do with Brian Parnham's computery stuff, field recordings and "trace" elements) and some of the tracks contain refreshingly unpredictable and experimental twists and turns. It's great to hear another Steve Roach collaboration with such sonic diversity and depth (they tend to more detailed in layering and production these days than the solo releases - which, for me, makes them have a greater emotional and atmospheric impact.)

Immersion 5 is pretty good, too. I really like the first disc, especially the first phase. The second disc sounds like lots of the darker effected guitar soundworlds Steve Roach has carved out in the past - it's not bad by any means, but it doesn't do much for me any more.